Back Country Elk Hunting Seminar w/ Chris Roe and Aron Snyder - Full Video

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
Only watched first 40 mins, so maybe they come back to it, but question on sinking the meat. Is the goal to keep the meat dry too? Aron seems to say yes, Chris no. I'd have to agree with keeping it dry. Can't believe Chris will leave meat soaking in water for 5 days. I could see dunking it and getting it wet for an initial cool down, but not for days.

So with the contractor bags, are they sealed somehow? Can you tie a knot that is water tight? Zip tie? Or do you leave the mouth of the bag laying on shore out of the water, or tied to a log you lay over the creek out of the water? Trying to get an exact idea of the steps involved with sinking meat and keeping it dry.

OP
G
There are multiple opinions on whether to put the meat straight into the water or to seal it in a plastic bag first. I had to dump mine straight into the water last season due to circumstances and was able to get back in and pull it within 24hrs and everything was fine. I try to avoid it if I can.

With the seal on the bag a simple knot should keep the majority if not all water out. Tying the game bag to a log over the creek would be just fine as well if you are willing to crawl out on the log to rotate the meat until it is cooled. Either would be just fine to keep the meet for extended times when necessary.

Ironman8

WKR
Haven't watched the vid yet, but I've hunted whitetail for 20 years and we have always put all the meat straight into a cooler with ice (no barrier for the moisture). We drain the bloody water daily, but will "bleed" it for 5-7 days (from day of kill) before processing. We've never lost meat with this process and even people who think deer meat is "gamey" don't think that about ours.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
First of all thank you for recording this. Takes awhile to watch the whole seminar but well worth it. I learned a few great tricks and a couple different approaches to enhance my hunting style for elk. Wish I could have made it down in person. I'll defiantly be stopping in next time I'm up that way

Haven't watched the vid yet, but I've hunted whitetail for 20 years and we have always put all the meat straight into a cooler with ice (no barrier for the moisture). We drain the bloody water daily, but will "bleed" it for 5-7 days (from day of kill) before processing. We've never lost meat with this process and even people who think deer meat is "gamey" don't think that about ours.

Ya but your not dumping it into a stream, possibly a contaminated one.

Bar

Banned
I would never put the meat directly in the water. For the same reasons I wouldn't drink the water without filtering it. Plus, I don't think it keeps the meat any cooler than using a bag. This could be tested at home with a thermometer.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I tie the bag shut and completely submerge it. I've never used zip ties or anything, but I'm sure that would work too.
Only watched first 40 mins, so maybe they come back to it, but question on sinking the meat. Is the goal to keep the meat dry too? Aron seems to say yes, Chris no. I'd have to agree with keeping it dry. Can't believe Chris will leave meat soaking in water for 5 days. I could see dunking it and getting it wet for an initial cool down, but not for days.

So with the contractor bags, are they sealed somehow? Can you tie a knot that is water tight? Zip tie? Or do you leave the mouth of the bag laying on shore out of the water, or tied to a log you lay over the creek out of the water? Trying to get an exact idea of the steps involved with sinking meat and keeping it dry.

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
Wasn't able to make it cause of work but glad that it was recorded and shared.... Lots of good info.. Thanks!

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Aron, Is the meat cooled before submerging? I have heard from others that keeping the bag open allows the meat to cool more quickly. The idea is to allow the heat to escape and not trap any more moisture in the contractor bag. I have never had to submerge my game bags yet but always carry a contractor bag just in case.
Great video. Good information to be had.

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
We air cool ours by putting the boned out meat on logs while working on another part. After done we just sit around for a hour or so and flip the meat till it is cooled. Then we pack it in meat bags I like the original tall and narrow Kifaru meat bags for transport. When we get back to camp with the meat we put it in the creek I have used plastic bags like in the pic below but now use a smaller 6mil clear bag . Over the years I have cleaned out a small hole in the creek gravel in a few places where I hunt. We have been doing it like this since the 80s and never loose any meat. There are a few other things you can do if you just have a spring. A few pics of how we do it.

jmez

WKR
There isn't anything in the water to worry about contaminating the meat unless you are going to eat it raw and still wet. All packing houses wash hanging meat multiple times with hoses so getting it wet really isn't a huge problem. Unless you leave meat in a garbage bag in an uncontrolled environment that isn't an issue either. Heat can and will escape the bag with it tied shut. If the water is cooler than the meat then it will cool the contents of the bag, open or shut. As was stated, both methods are safe, both methods work. You just need to move the meat periodically to get even cooling.

Thanks to all involved posting, hosting and presenting. Good information.

I do have to ask, who's the fat guy that left the sheep on the mountain?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Aron, Is the meat cooled before submerging? I have heard from others that keeping the bag open allows the meat to cool more quickly. The idea is to allow the heat to escape and not trap any more moisture in the contractor bag. I have never had to submerge my game bags yet but always carry a contractor bag just in case.
Great video. Good information to be had.
I cool the meet before I put it into the garbage bag / game bag / Creek.

KMD

Banned
Enjoyed the video, thanks for the link!
Big fan of both those guys...

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
Great info and thanks for sharing. This gets me even more excited for elk season this year.