A God Thing - Elk Hunting Lesson from a 56 year old self-taught DIY'er

Sherman

WKR
So some guy can prattle on to me about his beliefs, using a quote from a book to try and tell me I’m wrong. The quote he directed at me, without me asking him to, means about as much to me as the quote I directed at him. I made one original comment, it wasn’t well received, and I didn’t make any other until once again, someone had something to say personally directed at me. Don’t shove your religion down my throat. That doesn’t seem all that respectful either to me, but I suppose it’s only a one way street.
Your brain must be void of understanding the definition of “respectful”. Nobody asked you to abandon your beliefs or even not to debate with facts/opinions, but that you simply do it in a respectful manner. You obviously hold yourself in such high esteem that you belittle all that don’t hold to your belief system, which you have time and again resorted to.

GotDraw?

WKR
@robby denning, @realunlucky, @Dubz337

All,

More arguments are caused by Religion than Politics.

Therefore, the real Question is: Why does Rokslide ban political posts yet allow Rokslide Forum to be used as a religious platform for posts with overt religious references? What Would Mods Do "WWMD?" if Muslims started continuously quoting the Koran, or continuously referencing thanks to Allah? What if Muslims or Jews or Athesists on the site were offended by and questioned these references into a debate? How's 'bout Atheists start making posts that question the existence of God in the title of their posts?

Why is ok to blatently reference God in the title of a post, but then not allow questions about those posts? I agree that one member's post was salty in the way it was worded, but how is that really different that the OP making a post with a direct reference to God that everyone else sees? Was it salty to make an open post about God and thaking him for what the OP took as some gift from him? If it's ok to post a direct reference to God, then why isn't it ok to poke back at that reference? Why do the mods jump so quickly to defend a religious post and take that side, rather than supporting the right to question it or feel insulted by it (although that post was salty)?

If you're gonna allow Christian posts and defend that poster, then maybe owners/mods need to eat your own dogfood and start allowing Political posts too and only defend the republican point of view.

Rokslide platform is years old and very mature now, perhaps it is time for the owners to revisit their posting guidelines. Maybe we need a sub-forum for postings with religious reference. That would be one step toward fixing this issue.

No offense meant, just asking direct, logical questions to address the issue at hand. Is this a religious forum or a hunting forum? Before I get burnt on the heretical cross, know that my uncle's a monk, my aunt started her own order of nuns and I do belive in God, but also in questioning direct/indirect preaching in public forums.

Best,
JL

GotDraw?

WKR
Your brain must be void of understanding the definition of “respectful”. Nobody asked you to abandon your beliefs or even not to debate with facts/opinions, but that you simply do it in a respectful manner. You obviously hold yourself in such high esteem that you belittle all that don’t hold to your belief system, which you have time and again resorted to.
I agree that there would definitely have been better language choices by that poster. But he should have the right to question. JL

ROKnROAL

FNG
Yeah, you’re being very respectful right now of someone who doesn’t hold your belief system bud. You’re not open to a debate and would just cry foul and ‘disrespect’ when faced with hard questions.

Sherman

WKR
Yeah, you’re being very respectful right now of someone who doesn’t hold your belief system bud. You’re not open to a debate and would just cry foul and ‘disrespect’ when faced with hard questions.
I purposely never stated my beliefs in this thread with the exception of my belief that you should not be a douche and to be a better person.

It would be a shame if this awesome thread has to get locked because some FNG starts a theology battle by attacking deeply held convictions completely unprovoked.

I will say it again:

Be better.

ROKnROAL

FNG
I purposely never stated my beliefs in this thread with the exception of my belief that you should not be a douche and to be a better person.

It would be a shame if this awesome thread has to get locked because some FNG starts a theology battle by attacking deeply held convictions completely unprovoked.

I will say it again:

Be better.
Who are you exactly to tell anyone how to live their life? Do you honestly think the amount you post on a forum gives you the right to dole out any sort of judgements, or makes you better then anyone? Keyboard warrior mindset if I've ever seen one. I never told anyone not to to have their beliefs, I merely stated mine, and that was the whole start of this mess. If you get offended by that, then you probably get offended by a lot in your life and I feel sorry for you.

It's pretty obvious what your beliefs are, I guess you just don't have enough 'conviction' to state them.

Geewhiz

WKR
Who are you exactly to tell anyone how to live their life? Do you honestly think the amount you post on a forum gives you the right to dole out any sort of judgements, or makes you better then anyone? Keyboard warrior mindset if I've ever seen one. I never told anyone not to to have their beliefs, I merely stated mine, and that was the whole start of this mess. If you get offended by that, then you probably get offended by a lot in your life and I feel sorry for you.

It's pretty obvious what your beliefs are, I guess you just don't have enough 'conviction' to state them.
Go be annoying somewhere else.

You clicked on a thread with God in the title, proudly state that you don't need help from a magic man in the sky, then claim religion is being crammed down your throat, claiming to be a victim. Then talk about keyboard warriors, while trying to be one?....what exactly are you trying to achieve here? Convince people they don't need a magic man?

It's just weird dude. Why you felt the need to post here is beyond me.

Sherman

WKR

Bless your heart.

OP
ELKhunter60

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
@robby denning, @realunlucky, @Dubz337

All,

More arguments are caused by Religion than Politics.

Therefore, the real Question is: Why does Rokslide ban political posts yet allow Rokslide Forum to be used as a religious platform for posts with overt religious references? What Would Mods Do "WWMD?" if Muslims started continuously quoting the Koran, or continuously referencing thanks to Allah? What if Muslims or Jews or Athesists on the site were offended by and questioned these references into a debate? How's 'bout Atheists start making posts that question the existence of God in the title of their posts?

Why is ok to blatently reference God in the title of a post, but then not allow questions about those posts? I agree that one member's post was salty in the way it was worded, but how is that really different that the OP making a post with a direct reference to God that everyone else sees? Was it salty to make an open post about God and thaking him for what the OP took as some gift from him? If it's ok to post a direct reference to God, then why isn't it ok to poke back at that reference? Why do the mods jump so quickly to defend a religious post and take that side, rather than supporting the right to question it or feel insulted by it (although that post was salty)?

If you're gonna allow Christian posts and defend that poster, then maybe owners/mods need to eat your own dogfood and start allowing Political posts too and only defend the republican point of view.

Rokslide platform is years old and very mature now, perhaps it is time for the owners to revisit their posting guidelines. Maybe we need a sub-forum for postings with religious reference. That would be one step toward fixing this issue.

No offense meant, just asking direct, logical questions to address the issue at hand. Is this a religious forum or a hunting forum? Before I get burnt on the heretical cross, know that my uncle's a monk, my aunt started her own order of nuns and I do belive in God, but also in questioning direct/indirect preaching in public forums.

Best,
JL
GotDraw2 - Jews and Muslims believe in God. I can't speak for others, but if Jews or Muslims wanted to post about their experiences in the outdoors and how they felt the presence of God, I'd love to hear about it. I'm also completely fine with Atheists asking questions or questioning my beliefs. This is a hunting forum but a lot of us are friends and end up talking about work, investments, drinking alcohol or a host of other things - which to me is great.

Last night I went to see my wife's uncle. He's currently in the hospital given 1-3 weeks to live. He was a State Representative in Michigan for over 20 years and been retired for a long time. Last night we had a great talk about life and death. During the talk he mentioned how when his son passed away from a heart attack 6 months ago, he received 4 condolence letters from fellow retired State Representatives he had worked with when he was in office. Of the 4, 3 were from people outside the party he represented. I asked him if politics back then are like they are now. His eyes got big and he bellowed out "no"!!!!!!! He went on to say people were passionate about what they believed back then, but at the end of the day he would still go out for drinks with people from the other party and poke fun at each other. He said today the difference is there is so much hate out there. I was glad to hear things have not always been like they are now in the political arena.

I don't think the problem on this forum is politics or religion. Issues crop up when people notice someone isn't treating others the way they feel they should be treated.

GotDraw?

WKR
GotDraw2 - Jews and Muslims believe in God. I can't speak for others, but if Jews or Muslims wanted to post about their experiences in the outdoors and how they felt the presence of God, I'd love to hear about it. I'm also completely fine with Atheists asking questions or questioning my beliefs. This is a hunting forum but a lot of us are friends and end up talking about work, investments, drinking alcohol or a host of other things - which to me is great.

Last night I went to see my wife's uncle. He's currently in the hospital given 1-3 weeks to live. He was a State Representative in Michigan for over 20 years and been retired for a long time. Last night we had a great talk about life and death. During the talk he mentioned how when his son passed away from a heart attack 6 months ago, he received 4 condolence letters from fellow retired State Representatives he had worked with when he was in office. Of the 4, 3 were from people outside the party he represented. I asked him if politics back then are like they are now. His eyes got big and he bellowed out "no"!!!!!!! He went on to say people were passionate about what they believed back then, but at the end of the day he would still go out for drinks with people from the other party and poke fun at each other. He said today the difference is there is so much hate out there. I was glad to hear things have not always been like they are now in the political arena.

I don't think the problem on this forum is politics or religion. Issues crop up when people notice someone isn't treating others the way they feel they should be treated.

Your point is valid and I agree. The issue here is not so much the potential question that was asked or implied, it was the way that poster phrased his message that catylized a bit of a firestorm. Lack of diplomacy or tactfulness is not constructive. We all have baggage, preconceptions and hot buttons, best to temper them and stick to well constructed, factual posts.

JL

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
@ELKhunter60 thank you for the tips. I too am a 55 year old engineer. I have an extremely thorough understanding of how most things are made and how they work. I see all the time things when I am hunting that can only be explained by being miracles. They make me a better person. Looking forward to the best tip and the elk hunting story.

Great story! Raising my boys I’ve been teaching them in the good and bad we stay thankful and work hard remembering always to give thanks to God. Having the opportunity to even elk hunt is something I am so grateful for and have learned so much on here from other great guys.

OP
ELKhunter60

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Great write up, appreciate the vulnerability. I lost a son 12 years ago when he was just 8 and being in the woods has given me priceless times in my own journey.
Man, loosing a child must be insanely difficult. I can't wrap my head around it honestly. Thank you for being vulnerable yourself. I'm glad the outdoors is a place where you have found some help dealing with the loss. I'm guessing if that happened to me my faith, family support, consoling and time outside alone ponding life would be about the only things that might get me through something like that.

Appreciate your comments!