Average Hunter Ignorance.

eric1115

WKR
I finally figured out what it is that makes me uneasy about this.

To me that was a marginal shot. It worked fine this time, but there are lots of places an equal distance from what I'd assume was POA that would not have gone well.

An error of the same magnitude in a different direction could have resulted in a poor outcome, and the follow up shot was further off, not corrected/closer.

It's being represented as "not perfect, but good enough for a dead bull." I think a better representation would, if this must be shared, be "there was substantial error on this shot, but it happened to be in a direction that resulted in quick incapacitation. Not great, but lucky enough for a dead bull."

WKR

WKR
Not a terrible shot at all but it certainly could've gone the other way with a bonded type bullet, I've seen bulls go miles on a single lung hit with poor expansion.

A couple take aways for me are:
1) your buddy found his max effective range
2) Long range killing needs to be done with eldm/bergers for max wound channel
3) people suck!
I didn't think about that, but you are right about him finding his max effective range.
@huntnful hopefully your buddy realizes this and either limits himself or starts practicing and honing his skills.

mddat

FNG
Dead is dead and glad you shared, a perfect heart shot every time isn’t reality. I also think without a necropsy it’s a bit of guessing where bullets actually hit. I’d be ecstatic with any bull dying on the spot within 25 seconds. Also checked out your channel and subscribed, great stuff

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Not a terrible shot at all but it certainly could've gone the other way with a bonded type bullet, I've seen bulls go miles on a single lung hit with poor expansion.

A couple take aways for me are:
1) your buddy found his max effective range
2) Long range killing needs to be done with eldm/bergers for max wound channel
3) people suck!
Great takeaways IMO. Couldn’t agree more. That frangible bullet certainly did much more good than harm in this situation. I shoot frangibles because the chances they aid in killing the animal is so much higher than the chance in them causing any issues with a little less penetration.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I went through and freeze frame the video to find the exact impacts. It can be kind of hard when you just see the shockwave of the impact.

The red circles are where the bullets hit. And they came from the right side of the frame. The X would be about my preferred shot placement. So he might have made the cold bore challenge on the 10” plate with the first shot lol

IMG_5244.jpeg

pbroski

Lil-Rokslider
I went through and freeze frame the video to find the exact impacts. It can be kind of hard when you just see the shockwave of the impact.

The red circles are where the bullets hit. And they came from the right side of the frame. The X would be about my preferred shot placement. So he might have made the cold bore challenge on the 10” plate with the first shot lol

View attachment 742250
I think you're a little bit confused about shot placement. For an animal that is angling towards the shooter, the bullet should be placed in front of the shoulder, not behind it like you show. The blue X is the spot I would shoot for.

CaptureElk.PNG

I think you're a little bit confused about shot placement. For an animal that is angling towards the shooter, the bullet should be placed in front of the shoulder, not behind it like you show. The blue X is the spot I would shoot for.

View attachment 742264
This. Or even a couple inches further forward. It’s a slight downward angle on the shot so I like your height.

Rich M

WKR
That's a steep angle. Those shots were borderline - all the way.

My idea of a shot is the edge of the mane and the chest. Aim for the exit - that would end up in his far shoulder.

TaperPin

WKR
I had never considered a high liver shot right under the spine as a first choice, but there are a lot of big blood vessels in that area. :)

BBob

WKR
Sounds like the shooter was pretty far to the right of the camera. I think a lot of folks are glossing over that.
At what point in this story did that come out? Did I miss it early or did it come later?

I went back and looked at the first post and it wasn’t stated. Mby the OP didn’t know it at the time.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Sounds like the shooter was pretty far to the right of the camera. I think a lot of folks are glossing over that.
Yeah the shooter is off the right. Not the same spot as the camera.

View attachment 742264
The shooter is off the right quite a bit. I don’t shoulder shoot with fragibles personally. There’s plenty of lungs behind the shoulder that allows for more placement error and no meat damage.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
At what point in this story did that come out? Did I miss it early or did it come later?
I stated it quite a bit earlier in the thread. I can see the vapor trails clearly in the video on my phone, so I just assumed they would be visible in the shared video. But then I figured out that no one was noticing it, probably just from the drop in quality when posting it to YouTube.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
But after I checked out for a bit and let you all chatter on about things 🤣
Hahahaha I probably shouldn’t have even started it. I personally saw not much issue with the first shot and the bull dying extremely fast. Apparently I’m of the minority, but I’m committed now 🤣🤣🤣🤣. Wait till I share my buck picture of how far back their lungs REALLY go…. lol

The lungs don’t extend past the last rib. Not all lung shots are created equal. Lungs don’t deflate. A sucking chest wound (tension pneumothorax) is created by loss of vacuum in the diaphragm/chest cavity and leads to eventual suffocation.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
The lungs don’t extend past the last rib. Not all lung shots are created equal. Lungs don’t deflate. A sucking chest wound (tension pneumothorax) is created by loss of vacuum in the diaphragm/chest cavity and leads to eventual suffocation.
I agree. But the last rib is a long ways back behind the pocket of the shoulder. My hand is behind the removed shoulders. And you can see the ribs extending at least 12” beyond that

IMG_9926.jpeg