Average Hunter Ignorance.

BBob

WKR
They weren't "too high" or "too far back", or the elk wouldn't have died like it did.
I've killed plenty of elk and fully understand their kill zone, those were still poor shots. Killed him yes but still poor shots. I've killed with similar but I wouldn't be on Rokslide promoting my shitty shot and twisting it to say it was actually pretty good cause he died quick.

JNDEER

WKR
Cold weather sometimes helps with marginal shots (if cold).

Angle of shooter to bull hard to see- but based on video I am guessing angle of shooter is the same- so first shot appears to be high and back along with second shot with a quarter to angle (not ideal to hit high or back)

What I believe could have happened to have such a fast kill was the separation of the diaphragm as well as hitting the upper lobe of the lung (possibly the very back of the upper lobe- but maybe some good expansion with the bullet).

Anytime I have hit that upper lobe it has 100% of the time resulted in a super fast death regardless of the species of animal.

That said- lower and/or any further back (assuming dots on video are actual entry of bullet) the results would have been liver shot and not lung and quick death.

regardless- it’s a dead elk and they all taste the same!

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
The first shot is at 2 seconds and the video ends at 31 seconds. The elk is clearly still alive so I don't know how you can say it was dead in 25 seconds. Who knows how long it actually took to die.
Good call. Down* would be a better statement.
I've killed plenty of elk and fully understand their kill zone, those were still poor shots. Killed him yes but still poor shots. I've killed with similar but I wouldn't be on Rokslide promoting my shitty shot and twisting it to say it was actually pretty good cause he died quick.
It's not even my elk. I don't care where the shots hit. But a shot that is "too" high for "too" far back does not result in dead elk like that is all I'm saying. I never said they were good either. But they are clearly in the vitals, and devastating to the bull.

I'm with Jason. Definitely high and back, likely hitting the major vasculature. I wouldn't be surprised if the shrapnel disrupted the diaphragm but I wouldn't expect the second shot to be in front of the diaphragm either.

Obviously not gut shots and clearly effective. He seemed to get that second shot off faster than most guys and hit within inches of the first.

I have had a tendency to hit things further back than I intended to and would consider those shots similarly.

I think the bedded shot probably increases the chance of hits like that. You have the scapula and humerus pushed back over the lungs. The belly is bulged out, etcetera.

BigAl!

WKR
What I gathered from your post is that poor shots kill elk, but they're poor shots and the elk is dead. Right on!

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Since I have the video on my phone, I can go frame by frame. The brown dot at the point of the arrow is the location of the first shot. And the vapor trail looks to be coming from a far right angle, and not from the actual camera location.

IMG_5244.jpeg

Without having a first hand account of what happened inside of that animal, it's just speculation.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Without having a first hand account of what happened inside of that animal, it's just speculation.
Agreed. What isn’t speculation is that died faster than any “shitty shot” or “gut shot” should take to kill an elk.

Since I have the video on my phone, I can go frame by frame. The brown dot at the point of the arrow is the location of the first shot. And the vapor trail looks to be coming from a far right angle, and not from the actual camera location.

It does look better there.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
It does look better there.
Yeah. I honestly didn’t think I was going to have to prove that the first shot was better than it looked. That was the point of sharing it lol. I pointing out that the elk died extremely fast, which isn’t the standard result of a poor shot, yet people still claim in to be lol. Elk have big vitals. Put a bullet in them, and they die fairly quickly.

Congratulations! You now have 70K views plus 1…
I watched it but, I didn’t like it! Oops!

180ls1

WKR
The internet is a funny place. I saw similar comments of the video I sent you, I should have sent a pic or two of the insides. Complete destruction but 15 seconds is too long apparently lol.

Here is what was left of the heart:

IMG_0333.jpg

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Congratulations! You now have 70K views plus 1…
I watched it but, I didn’t like it! Oops!
Haha oh I don’t care at all honestly. Not like I get anything from it. I just started it because I was always searching for terminal performance videos of different bullets and there wasn’t a collective place for them that I could find.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
The internet is a funny place. I saw similar comments of the video I sent you, I should have sent a pic or two of the insides. Complete destruction but 15 seconds is too long apparently lol.

Here is what was left of the heart:

View attachment 741283
Right exactly!! And you for sure didn’t need the second shot either. Buck would have laid there and died in a matter of seconds. But since you did shoot it again, now it was poor performance because it took two shots 🙄 hahaha.

The majority of hunters are extremely uneducated on bullet performance. Hopefully some people get enlightened by sharing the results, but I don’t think it’s making a huge dent on the general population of hunters.

180ls1

WKR
Right exactly!! And you for sure didn’t need the second shot either. Buck would have laid there and died in a matter of seconds. But since you did shoot it again, now it was poor performance because it took two shots 🙄 hahaha.

The majority of hunters are extremely uneducated on bullet performance. Hopefully some people get enlightened by sharing the results, but I don’t think it’s making a huge dent on the general population of hunters.

Yeah man. I learned that lesson the hard way. Dumped a bull. Took my eyes off him to help a buddy (we were trying to double) and when I did he got up and ran off. NEVER AGAIN.

I have a video of it I can send you but I'd ask it does not go it all over the internet.

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
"if it was a whitetail you would have never found it"
IMG_20231125_105955679_HDR.jpg
This was a 215 at 530 yards 3000mv similar shot placement just a little lower in the body, it died faster than that elk just went about 20 yards and left a blood trail a blind man could follow.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Yeah man. I learned that lesson the hard way. Dumped a bull. Took my eyes off him to help a buddy (we were trying to double) and when I did he got up and ran off. NEVER AGAIN.

I have a video of it I can send you but I'd ask it does not go it all over the internet.
Oh me too man. Mine wasn’t on video. But I shot a big buck and “stoned him”. But I saw another video of a dude dropping a buck and it getting up 20 seconds later and running off. So that was in my mind.

Anyway I “stone” this buck. Rack a round and I’m just staying on him. Looking through the scope and looking above the scope just keeping and eye on him. Sure as shit, he jumps up faster than hell and takes off on a dead run. I shot him at 300 yards on a dead run and killed him. I doubt I would have ever even found him had I not been ready for that second shot.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
"if it was a whitetail you would have never found it"
View attachment 741284
This was a 215 at 530 yards 3000mv similar shot placement just a little lower in the body, it died faster than that elk just went about 20 yards and left a blood trail a blind man could follow.
Hahaha, man you just must’ve gotten lucky… 🤣🤣

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
So I certainly the frangible berger decimated the top of the lungs with the first shot. They basically touch the spine when inflated, so if you hit below the spine, you're hitting the lungs.
Small technicality. Unless there is a bad thing going on (blood/air/fluid in the chest cavity), the lungs always touch the chest wall. So inhalation or exhalation a shot right below the spine is in the lung with some margin for error as being in the spinal column is an incapacitating shot.

Your overall point is spot on, the shot put the animal down and that result says the shooter did his job adequately. You are either in the vitals or you are not, no points for just being close.