Average Hunter Ignorance.

huntnful

WKR
I have a YouTube channel where I share videos of terminal performance so people can see things for themselves. This is actually my buddy’s video. You can see the first shot hit slightly high, and the second shot hits slightly high and back. Both lung shots IMO. The bull dies in about 25 seconds.

Now look at the comments from hunters who have probably never killed an elk, or possibly any animal in their lives.

How do “shitty shots” results in an 6-800lb animal dying in 25 seconds and going zero yards? Lol. The lack of knowledge and ignorance of animal’s vital sizes and bullet performance seriously boggles my mind.

These are the average hunters that bullet companies would have to educate if they wanted to show them how devastating “non hunting” bullets actually are. Genuinely an uphill battle for sure.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have a YouTube channel where I share videos of terminal performance so people can see things for themselves. This is actually my buddy’s video. You can see the first shot hit slightly high, and the second shot hits slightly high and back. Both lung shots IMO. The bull dies in about 25 seconds.

Now look at the comments from hunters who have probably never killed an elk, or possibly any animal in their lives.

How do “shitty shots” results in an 6-800lb animal dying in 25 seconds and going zero yards? Lol. The lack of knowledge and ignorance of animal’s vital sizes and bullet performance seriously boggles my mind.

These are the average hunters that bullet companies would have to educate if they wanted to show them how devastating “non hunting” bullets actually are. Genuinely an uphill battle for sure.
Not trying to be “that guy” but if he practiced chambering a round and getting a second shot off quicker it would benefit him. I was sitting there with anxiety waiting for the second haha.

Feel free to ignore me like the YouTube comment idiots 😆

I agree but in the end, it’s a dead elk in what, 20 or so seconds? I’ve seen WAY worse.
Not arguing the outcome in any way. Just saying I would never want to see a hit there. I’ve made shots they in the end, produced a favorable outcome but more so from luck than shot placement. Just my humble opinion.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Not trying to be “that guy” but if he practiced chambering a round and getting a second shot off quicker it would benefit him. I was sitting there with anxiety waiting for the second haha.

Feel free to ignore me like the YouTube comment idiots 😆
Hahaha I would never think that!!

I just watched the video. The bull was actually stationary (after he finished standing) for 5 seconds before he hit him again. I don't personally see any issue with that in all honesty. Killing animals is honestly just not that hard. You just don't have to shoot like a machine gun to get them killed. Maybe on a rare occasion a 3 second follow up shot will benefit you over a 5-7 second follow up shot, but I've never personally seen that scenario in the field. Not that it's never happened, but it is not the norm, especially at longer ranges. From what I'VE seen anyways.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Feel free to ignore me too but those shots are way higher and further back than I’d ever like to see.
I agree. But it shows the actual anatomy of an elk. If you didn't see the hits, and I just said he died in 20 seconds, you would say that they must've been perfect shots.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Not arguing the outcome in any way. Just saying I would never want to see a hit there. I’ve made shots they in the end, produced a favorable outcome but more so from luck than shot placement. Just my humble opinion.
No I would not be "happy" my bullets hit there by any means. But I know the bull is dead when I see those hits.

I agree. But it shows the actual anatomy of an elk. If you didn't see the hits, and I just said he died in 20 seconds, you would say that they must've been perfect shots.
As high as those are and as far back as they are, they likely hit very little lung. The more than likely hit major vasculature to the liver, kidneys, vena cava or aorta. Again, highly fatal, but with a good dose of Lady Luck thrown in.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
As high as those are and as far back as they are, they likely hit very little lung. The more than likely hit major vasculature to the liver, kidneys, vena cava or aorta. Again, highly fatal, but with a good dose of Lady Luck thrown in.
I don't think the first shot was back at all personally. 4" behind the shoulder is about center of lungs, and where I aim on deer on elk. But it was high, but still under the spine, which is why it didn't incapacitate him. So I certainly the frangible berger decimated the top of the lungs with the first shot. They basically touch the spine when inflated, so if you hit below the spine, you're hitting the lungs. The second was more dicey as far as the damage that one caused haha.

Archer86

WKR
Dead elk shots are further back then I would like as well but you can't argue with the end result. Video may of thrown it off some looks like the elk is quartering to so the off side was possibly no lung at all?

Would you get the same result with a mono place in the same location ?

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Dead elk shots are further back then I would like as well but you can't argue with the end result. Video may of thrown it off some looks like the elk is quartering to so the off side was possibly no lung at all?

Would you get the same result with a mono place in the same location ?
I would say you'd probably get the same end result (a dead elk), but not in the same dramatic fashion. Damage would have been way less extensive normally.

I arrowed a bull in almost the same exact spot as that first shot hit. He went out on a dead run, and died in about 300 yards. I can't imagine he was on feet for very long after he stopped. It was a blood bath down in the drainage he died in after the blood fill up high enough to come out of the wound. You could see that it was splashing everywhere as he was stumbling around.

BigAl!

WKR
I'd much rather be there than trying to go through the shoulder. I'd say those are back of the vitals because you can't argue with the results. Liver possibly on one of them, but I'd say at least one hit lungs. People saying those are not good shots are ridiculous. Watch the video again.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Both shots were too high and too far back. Killed him yes but not what I'd call good shots.
They weren't "too high" or "too far back", or the elk wouldn't have died like it did. That's what I'm pointing out, their actual vital size. High, and far back, sure. Not so much so that he didn't die in 25 seconds and go 0 yards.

pbroski

Lil-Rokslider
They weren't "too high" or "too far back", or the elk wouldn't have died like it did. That's what I'm pointing out, their actual vital size. High, and far back, sure. Not so much so that he didn't die in 25 seconds and go 0 yards.
The first shot is at 2 seconds and the video ends at 31 seconds. The elk is clearly still alive so I don't know how you can say it was dead in 25 seconds. Who knows how long it actually took to die.