Auto Tip On Deliveries

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Got a promo code offer from PETCO so I ordered two large bags of Purina Pro Plan Sport for $163 after tax. After placing the order, got a confirmation email showing I'd also included a $28 tip :mad: . Since I used my cellphone, I would have had to scroll down past the Place Order icon to notice they'd autofilled a tip for the dasher. My fault, but I don't like prefilled tips like this. Thought about stopping pay on credit card but figured at least the driver would get a good tip.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
That's BS. I would have never thought to check for a tip. I would 100% cancel my order and re-do it. The only way to get this tip culture under control is to push back. I would love to know what percentage of the tip actually goes to the driver. Credit card tips are taxed as well and I'm not into paying more taxes than needed.

Legend

WKR
I would have canceled that order before I got to the bottom of the email.

Tips, the inflation proof income.

ODB

WKR
Got a promo code offer from PETCO so I ordered two large bags of Purina Pro Plan Sport for $163 after tax. After placing the order, got a confirmation email showing I'd also included a $28 tip :mad: . Since I used my cellphone, I would have had to scroll down past the Place Order icon to notice they'd autofilled a tip for the dasher. My fault, but I don't like prefilled tips like this. Thought about stopping pay on credit card but figured at least the driver would get a good tip.

How many deliveries does that dude (dasher?) do in a day? one an hour and he gets an extra 28 bucks? +56K a year for ???

bozeman

WKR
I would cancel it.

I got a screen asking for a tip at a cookie place where I pointed at a cookie and the person behind the counter handed it to me...........I was like, WHAT??? SMH.

RMM

WKR
How many deliveries does that dude (dasher?) do in a day? one an hour and he gets an extra 28 bucks? +56K a year for ???
Door dash autofills a tip based on the dollar amount of the order. $163 is probably the most expensive order he's ever done. Buyer needs to be aware of the autofill tip. Also, if he were to cancel the order on the doordash app, they would only refund a small fraction of the order..

Reactions: ODB
OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Door dash autofills a tip based on the dollar amount of the order. $163 is probably the most expensive order he's ever done. Buyer needs to be aware of the autofill tip. Also, if he were to cancel the order on the doordash app, they would only refund a small fraction of the order..
I'm just using "dasher" generically - I don't know who does the same-day deliveries for PETCO here. Yep, would have had to stop payment on the credit card to get a full refund.

I got nailed on a pizza carryout order. The review order screen didnt show a tip then when I hit the go to payment screen it added a tip and I missed it. That kind of thing really pisses me off.

I would cancel it.

I got a screen asking for a tip at a cookie place where I pointed at a cookie and the person behind the counter handed it to me...........I was like, WHAT??? SMH.
This made me chuckle. Took the wife to a cookie place very similar and when it asked for a tip on the screen I laughed and declined. Wife asked what was funny and when I told her and she just shook her head.

jimh406

WKR
I hate the autofilled boxes while using my phone. I tend to avoid using my phone to buy/pay for that reason.

Interesting that the confirm is about the autofilled box. Just poor programming unless the goal is to steal from the customer.

Tipping a barista a dollar for a cup of coffee has zero impact on my financial situation. I can afford it and I like being generous. That being said, the fact that there is even an option to tip for an online retail order is insane.

intunegp

WKR
Tipping a barista a dollar for a cup of coffee has zero impact on my financial situation. I can afford it and I like being generous. That being said, the fact that there is even an option to tip for an online retail order is insane.

The irony is the barista probably curses you for being a cheap SOB after you drive away for only tipping a dollar.
I can't decide if it's more ridiculous to tip a delivery driver or have your dog food delivered. Paying more to not go outside sounds like a lose/lose.

Legend

WKR
How so?
You know that inflation reduces the purchasing power of currency right?

Income tax proof maybe........but not inflation proof
Cost of a dinner out used to be $20 and tip was $4. Cost of dinner out is $40 and tip is $8. When the tip is a percentage of the cost, as is customary, you won't fall behind.

This is unlike most hourly jobs where people are taking it in the shorts.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
The problem these days in our current tip culture, is the prefilled tip amounts start at 18% and work up to damn near 30-35%.

ozyclint

WKR
Cost of a dinner out used to be $20 and tip was $4. Cost of dinner out is $40 and tip is $8. When the tip is a percentage of the cost, as is customary, you won't fall behind.

This is unlike most hourly jobs where people are taking it in the shorts.
Yeah and what they used to be able to buy with $4 they now need $8 to be able to buy it. Inflation.