Audi A3 2.0 Diesel Reliability

treillw

WKR
Anyone know about the reliability of an Audi A3 TDI? 2.0 EA288 diesel engine with a 6 speed manual.

Currently has 60k miles on it.

Read quite a bit online and I don't see anything bad about the engine really.

Wonder how long it will last. Some of these diesels run for 400k miles.

Think maintenance will be a pain on it?

Planning to use it for high mileage work travel.

Thanks!

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Now I'm considering Volkswagens also - reliability?

Sevens

WKR
VW owns Audi (as well as Porsche, Bentley, Lamborghini and Ducati).

The engines between the Audi and the VW will probably be the similar since they’re all owned by the same parent company.

VW and reliability are two words that don’t go together. Audi is a more expensive version of that VW with enormous repair costs but only slightly more reliable than the VW imo.

Porsche however, is extremely reliable, probably one of the tops of most any list. Granted I was doing comparison shopping on SUVs, across those three brands. Porsche hands down, but that’s irrelevant here.

Get a Lexus gasser and be done with it. Granted it will cost you on premium gas but a diesel is equally as expensive to fill up so it’s a wash. Lexus will last 200k+ easily.

Now I'm considering Volkswagens also - reliability?
A couple that I know bought a new Volkswagen, not sure of model. Traveled several hundred miles to pick it up due to availability. Manual transmission went out of it within 60 miles of leaving dealer.

We know a guy that specializes as a mechanic in foreign cars. He says with VW you have to keep up on maintenance and intervals are shorter. I have never owned either make.

Probably much older than you are looking for but my family has used '00-'06 VW Jettas and Passats for the last 15 years.

They are easy to work on, great mileage, and no new emission junk to worry about. If you make sure to change out the timing belt every 100k they last forever.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Probably much older than you are looking for but my family has used '00-'06 VW Jettas and Passats for the last 15 years.

They are easy to work on, great mileage, and no new emission junk to worry about. If you make sure to change out the timing belt every 100k they last forever.
Diesel?

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I don't think vw is a perfect picture of reliability, but don't these diesel engines run forever?

Yes diesels. Mostly ALH engines. With a manual 5 speed trans we usually average 45 mpg. Auto trans are around 34 mpg and more prone to problems.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Yes diesels. Mostly ALH engines. With a manual 5 speed trans we usually average 45 mpg. Auto trans are around 34 mpg and more prone to problems.
The maintenance on them is kind of scary - hear all kinds of nightmares. But you say it's easy?

What is your typical maintenance?

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I've got an Audi with 3.0 turbodiesel, have almost 135k miles and engine is still running strong. I plan on keeping it until any repairs hurt the wallet too much. Have mainly just done the 10k service intervals. Got paid over $10k for them to do the diesel gate fix, it reduced my mileage by about 2 MPG but $10k buys a lot of diesel, even at over $5/gallon...

Wrench

WKR
My 06 tdi was the best rig I've ever had from a cost of ownership perspective. In 200k I did a clutch and glow plugs.

Clutch required triple square tools and an engine bridge. The glow plugs took about 10 minutes total.

The maintenance on them is kind of scary - hear all kinds of nightmares. But you say it's easy?

What is your typical maintenance?
The same as any other car besides timing belt every 100k. Some stuff is harder than other vehicles (alternator, water pump) but not too bad if you're patient. Youtube will show you how to do anything to these cars.

They still have a large following so parts are easily had. Worst case scenario you grenade the engine and trans, you are only out 1500 bucks for a used set and a day to put 'em in.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
The same as any other car besides timing belt every 100k. Some stuff is harder than other vehicles (alternator, water pump) but not too bad if you're patient. Youtube will show you how to do anything to these cars.

They still have a large following so parts are easily had. Worst case scenario you grenade the engine and trans, you are only out 1500 bucks for a used set and a day to put 'em in.
Are you saying you can get an engine and tranny for $1500?