At what point in the year do you quit using calls?

ureyes

FNG
Is there any value in bugling during the rifle seasons?

How about cow calls? Is there a difference in when you stop using the cow call and the bugle?

WRO

WKR
Is there any value in bugling during the rifle seasons?

How about cow calls? Is there a difference in when you stop using the cow call and the bugle?
We had bulls respond at the end of October last year to bugles.

Rizzy

WKR
We had bulls respond at the end of October last year to bugles.

Same here

Keep in mind Elk talk year around. In September the conversation revolves around getting laid, whereas the rest of the year the conversation revolves around other less important things.

Also, after September, they have probably heard a lot hunters calling and know what's up, so they will usually be more silent and cautious.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I carry calls into November....if your lucky to be involved in the 2,3,4th estrus you can have short intense windows of bugling...two of my bulls were shot in late October when Bulls were tending hot cows that involved several Bulls bugling giving me an opp to set up on them...if I am not finding a bull late this time of year I will give some short bugles and cow calls to either get a response or see if a bull may sneak in for a look...I caught two small Bulls doing this a couple of years back on the mt opening weekend...lucky for them I was after something bigger....

Bar

Banned
This year i'll start using calls 1/1/15 at 12 PM. I'll finishing using calls 1/1/15 at 12:01 PM.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Is there a difference in when you stop using the cow call and the bugle?

Ya, I usually stop using the cow call before I leave home. Don't use them much unless I'm looking for a raghorn to throw in the freezer, usually later in the archery season or during rifle.

ElkNut1

WKR
The calls are part of our arsenal later half of Aug, all Sept & Oct. How much we use them can be situational. Having them is key, not having them can handicap you. Knowing when to use them & not to use them is equally important.

ElkNut1

Bar

Banned
It all depends on how you hunt Paul. In my style using a call at anytime would be a handicap.