At home archery shop needs

nphunter

WKR
You guys are awesome. Thank you for helping me picture this stuff.

My bench is just a plain ole bench, so I'll have to use a peg board.

If you're in SWMO and need a hand working on your own bow cause you're sick of the crappy shops in the area, who half a$$ it and say good luck, get with me!

A friend has a bow shop and just has a short regular bench so he can work on his bows right out in front of him. He had the top carpeted and mounted two presses back to back on the bench and it's in the middle of the room. He keeps T-Handle Allens on the end of the bench which isn't really any longer than the press with a bow, he used a drill and has a line of holes to keep the Allens in so you can just see the handle, they are the T's with the little short Allens sticking out one end of the handle. There are also a few small items that escape me on the bench, plyers for a loop, small flat razor knife.

Everything else in the shop is on peg board around the room and he has been working out of that pro shop for like 20-30 years. He's the local Hoyt, Bear and maybe Elite dealer, all the bows hand from the ceiling just above head height over the workbench, he probably stocks 15 bows inside. It is a very organized room, probably 12'x12' and the back has a little 8' deep room like a closet with targets and a paper tuner. He has a wall mounted draw board with a ruler stuck to the wall and a pully on the ceiling, he hooks a carabiner to the string and then the grip sits over a piece of pipe on the wall and he pulls down on a rope to draw the bow, it has a scale on the end of the rope. He uses the rope and pulley, to check timing instead of a traditional draw board.

Torch style butane lighter for melting ends of D-loops and serving thread.
Big carpet thread type needle comes in handy for me at times for serving through the string or cables.
Blue low strength Loctite....be careful where you use it!
Anti-seize for steel bolts that go into aluminum and need to be removed to service your bow.
Non-waxed dental floss...for buffering D-loops as well as wind check threads.

Great suggestions in the posts to augment your list.

87TT

WKR
I don't have one for the bow stuff but I bought a wood top rolling bench for my auto tools. Like a giant rollaway with a tool box on top. I got mine at Home Depot. It was cheaper than Harbor Freight and has an outlet strip on the side. You just plug in the bench and you have a row of outlets on the end of the bench.

OP
trailblazer75

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider
So I've done some additional purchasing and have wound up with a pretty comprehensive list.

Original stuff I had:
Space (Aleard owned)
Bench ($40)
EZ Green press ($425)
Draw Board ($149)
Scale ($70)
Ruler (Aleard owned)
Allens/Stubby Allens (Already owned)
Pliers (Already owned)
Bow vice ($165)
Serving material ($7.76)
D-Loop material ($10.99)
Yard stick (Already owned)
Tape measure (Already owned)
3rd axis hamskea level ($70)
String/arrow levels (Already owned)
Grain scale (Aleard owned)

Things I've added:
Denatured alcohol burner (I like this for hot melt) ($9)
Washer/nut magnetic bins ($13.99)
24"x24" peg board with various hangers ($37.99)
Serving and jig ($13.99)
Digital calipers ($18)
Dental picks ($6.99)
Large bright overhead light ($29.99)
I homebuilt a PVC paper tuning stand ($40 with clips)
Weston arrow saw ($159)

At this point I'm just waiting for a lot of the stuff to come in.
All told I'm in to this project for $1276.70

I already had all the glue and fletching jigs and stuff.
I've got the target mounted up and stuff coming in! So its just a matter of putting things together in an organized manner and we're in business!

Last edited:
see a bench but a decent tool box with a good top. I got a cheap husky tool box that mounted my press too and keeps everything organized

packer58

WKR
So I've done some additional purchasing and have wound up with a pretty comprehensive list.

Original stuff I had:
Space (Aleard owned)
Bench ($40)
EZ Green press ($425)
Draw Board ($149)
Scale ($70)
Ruler (Aleard owned)
Allens/Stubby Allens (Already owned)
Pliers (Already owned)
Bow vice ($165)
Serving material ($7.76)
D-Loop material ($10.99)
Yard stick (Already owned)
Tape measure (Already owned)
3rd axis hamskea level ($70)
String/arrow levels (Already owned)
Grain scale (Aleard owned)

Things I've added:
Denatured alcohol burner (I like this for hot melt) ($9)
Washer/nut magnetic bins ($13.99)
24"x24" peg board with various hangers ($37.99)
Serving and jig ($13.99)
Digital calipers ($18)
Dental picks ($6.99)
Large bright overhead light ($29.99)
I homebuilt a PVC paper tuning stand ($40 with clips)
Weston arrow saw ($159)

At this point I'm just waiting for a lot of the stuff to come in.
All told I'm in to this project for $1276.70

I already had all the glue and fletching jigs and stuff.
I've got the target mounted up and stuff coming in! So its just a matter of putting things together in an organized manner and we're in business!
AND YOUR ADDRESS IS ?????

OP
trailblazer75

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider
Nah, just messing a bit. When you get all that gear set up your going to have a pretty nice setup for sure ....
Me too. That is a pretty good concern of mine though. Someone trying to get in there and get my goodies. Luckily, in my situation, someone is always home and we live in a decent neighborhood so it should be fine.

OP
trailblazer75

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider
Only thing I have that’s not listed is a chronograph. Might be useful?
I’ve kicked it back and forth. I just have never seen a need yet. It’s nice to know the number but what does it do for you in terms of how your bow actually shoots?

We all know they lie about IBO. Lol.

I’ve kicked it back and forth. I just have never seen a need yet. It’s nice to know the number but what does it do for you in terms of how your bow actually shoots?

We all know they lie about IBO. Lol.

I dont really use mine for anything other than seeing what arrow weights do to speed, and comparing speeds after a string change etc, tinkering type of stuff. But to set a bow up, Id say its one of the last things Id buy in the home archery shop.

The latter part about IBO is why programs like qspine are pretty inaccurate. That program is always going to show arrows being weaker than they actually are because it assumes IBO is correct, ie your bow is faster than what it is. If you have a chrono, you can compare the speed qspine is telling you with an actual result. From there you can fiddle with the IBO speed in qspine to get the result pretty dead on.

OP
trailblazer75

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider
We’re getting there boys.

Attachments

• 9937E78B-822A-4275-8AF7-A1D7445F3F83.jpeg
    9937E78B-822A-4275-8AF7-A1D7445F3F83.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 23

Jeremy_D

FNG
Not shown is a string making jig, paper stand and block target. Only thing I feel I might still want is a set of stubby allens. Hiding on top is a arrow saw, Vane master Pro and arrow spinner/indexer/squarer.

Attachments

• shop.jpg
    shop.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 23
OP
trailblazer75

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider
Not shown is a string making jig, paper stand and block target. Only thing I feel I might still want is a set of stubby allens. Hiding on top is a arrow saw, Vane master Pro and arrow spinner/indexer/squarer.
Nice setup!

I don’t have a string making jig but I don’t want one. I’ve got a friend close who does a great job and I don’t really have the space. I bought stubby Allen’s because of this thread and honestly I don’t know how I ever did without them.