ASAT vs Vias

Ben

WKR
I'm in the process for shopping for a new clothing system as all my older (and cheaper) gear wears out. I've narrowed it down to First Lite and Kuiu for various reasons. I understand the pros and cons merino wool and synthetics and the difference in costs. However, the determining factor for me is the effectiveness of the camouflage pattern.

Has anyone had more success with ASAT over Vias or vice versa?

Yes, I have seen the pictures of the two in various terrains and watched every related YouTube a few times. I'm looking for personal experiences of reputable folks.

Thanks in advance!

I think if enough people reply it will be really close to 50/50 if based on pattern alone. For what it's worth they mix and match really well together. I would pick asat because in bow season when camo is more critical for me I prefer first lite Llano shirt but I don't like their pants so I just don't match and have Vias pants

TEmbry

WKR
Realistically you won't notice a difference in the field. Just pick the garment that fits your needs best between the two companies and don't worry about which pattern it has (both are excellent).

jm1607

WKR
I think not being seen is more about being still at the proper times. But camo wise, they are both excellent patterns with negative space in them. I own quite a bit of both.. I end up wearing the ASAT considerably more...

hflier

WKR
I live ASAT. This year I have been whitetail hunting from the ground. I have had deer at less than 5 yards multiple times and they never saw me. I have all First Lite and really like it. People around here always give me funny looks when I have it on, but I just smile. I like KUIU stuff too, it just seems to be made for guys that are thin, my stocky build with large quad muscles just don't work with it. I am trying to run more to get rid of the lifters build, and then maybe I will buy a set of KUIU again.

OP
B

Ben

WKR
Thanks guys! These are the answers I thought I would get. I'll probably go with what ever is on sale at the time.

The issue with them for me is I think vias is too light for a lot of areas and I'm not a fan of black in camouflage, like in ASAT.

Off topic question: Doverpack, are you using the attack pant for bow hunting the early season?

Shrek

WKR
I sounds like you are camo fashion conscious. If you want to match all the time and want choices and reliable supplies then go with the ASAT. First Lite , ASAT brand , Day One off the top of my head all offer ASAT clothes where VIAS is single source.

Poser

WKR
Don't get me wrong, Camo patterns are "cool." I wear a lot of camo when hunting and I personally "like" some patterns better than others, but, I honestly see little to no advantage of one pattern over another when it comes to hunting situations. I've had game animals very close in all kinds of patterns. I've also had game animals very close wearing solids. One time when scouting, a buddy and I had a large herd of does pass within 10 yards of us. We stood still and they never saw us, though, they were a bit nervous. We were basically wearing street clothes. I've tried many different patterns for different situations and concluded that there is no advantage of one over the other.

I'd go with the quality of the material first. The camo pattern should be a secondary choice and don't be afraid to mix and match. In other words, you don't have to be matching from head to toe.

Camo: won't hurt, might help, looks cool to the consumer.

Quality over Camo every day of the week and twice on Sunday...

You do not need camo to kill an animal. Does it help? Not likely. One of the best bowhunters I know doesn't wear camo and he shoots several big game animals a year.

That said, I like ASAT.

E72

FNG
If camo doesn't matter, Why do I feel more stealthy and invisible when I wear my ASAT boxer briefs!? :D

doesnt matter, pick the pieces you want. i love everything that i have from First lite, their merinos are in my opinion far superior to kuiu, they also fit alot better for me at least, i have tiburon, guide and attack pants from kuiu and love them, im not to keen on the kanabs. if you limit yourself to a specific camo pattern you limit the gear you are able to wear, not worth it just to match in my opinion

kamcgraw

Lil-Rokslider
As everyone else has already stated, you should probably look more at the quality of the garment and how it fits your needs before the camo pattern. I believe camo can help you not be seen, but it is very situational. Your set-up and cover are much more important in aiding being undetected by game. But when choosing a camo pattern, one that breaks up your outline rather than mimicking leaves and branches is the way to go. So both patterns for the bill. Personally, I wear ASAT, but will mix with optifade at times as well.

Thanks guys! These are the answers I thought I would get. I'll probably go with what ever is on sale at the time.

The issue with them for me is I think vias is too light for a lot of areas and I'm not a fan of black in camouflage, like in ASAT.

Off topic question: Doverpack, are you using the attack pant for bow hunting the early season?

Short answer is yes I wore them during most of bow season. I had Kryptek Valhallas which were nice but the weather turned cold and dumped snow the last full week of September and stayed cool through the end of bow season mid October. I wore the Valhallas up until I started getting cold. I sold the valhallas and opted for tiburon pants for mid August until it gets too cool then switch to attacks.

OP
B

Ben

WKR
Thanks for all the comments! I'll probably end up with whatever is on sale at the time....

Thanks again!

I like and wear a lot of the kuiu vias as well as some of my older sitka stuff which I am slowly phasing out. The quality and comfort of the gear is the most important thing to me, and I like the vias pattern too. May be worth checking out the verde pattern too if you think the vias is too light and don't want any black. It has a contrasting macro and micro camouflage pattern which is pretty cool. In the future i plan to switch to verde