ASAT vs Fusion

What do you think of ASAT vs fusion camo for elk hunting? Not sure I like either, but anyone with exp...does it work?

good2eat

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to Fusion from ASAT last season. I like it personally but am not sure it's a better choice. I have many experiences with ASAT that prove to me that it confuses game and has allowed me to get closer and take game. I have not had the same experience so far with the Fusion pattern.

I like the look of Fusion from a "fashion" standpoint but I really doubt if it is any better than the camo patterns we had 15 years ago.

Of course if you're rifle hunting, it's all moot.

ASAT is tried and true. Been around and proven to work for years!

Fashion looks good as well. Can't go wrong with either. But ASAT breaks up the human outline big time

I was at under 10 yards from a calf tucked into some oak brush for more than 10 minutes this year wearing fusion. It walked off without ever knowing I was there. ASAT is tried and true, but since the area I hunt is mostly grass, sage brush and oak brush (I don't spend much time in the aspen) I don't think a macro pattern like ASAT would do as well for my style/area. Read up on the theories between macro (ASAT), micro (ACU) and hybrid (fusion, highlander) pattern camo and what their advantages and disadvantages are.

hflier

WKR
I switched all my First Lite ASAT to Fusion and I wish I had not. Fusion is not bad, but you would not believe the encounters I had with ASAT.

WoodBow

WKR
IMO asat works better and fusion sells better. The asat pattern has been around since the 70s or 80s and is unchanged.

Trial153

WKR
I think ASAT is the best pattern on the market bar none. I just wish I could get it a different clothing line. Hint Hint Sitka if your listening.

Last edited:
I've been yards from deer wearing Dry Earth/Pine. I've been just yards from elk and deer in ASAT. And this past year with Fusion had a bull come into 6 yards from my wife and 10 yards from me and hung out for a good 5 minutes... twice staring a hole through my wife but went back to feeding.

I just wear whatever is clean at the time :)

As camo goes I really like Fusion though. I feel like a ninja.

twall13

WKR
I think it depends a bit on the terrain where you are hunting but both break up your outline pretty well. I know Elk don't see like humans but I still found this video interesting. [video=youtube;xVWg5-IZbHE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVWg5-IZbHE[/video] Regardless of what the elk see, sometimes what I see gives me a bit more confidence and that can make a difference. Just my take, I know others will disagree.

elkyinzer

WKR
Conceptually they are on the same family tree. They break up the outline by toying with the eye's depth perception rather than trying to mimic specific environments. In my opinion for elk they are interchangeable, elk are not the most visually wary animal out there anyway. If your outline is broken up and you try to stay in the shadows, you are good. I am a big fan of ASAT but I am starting to move to Fusion because the colors are a little more versatile for use during spring turkey when it greens up here. Turkeys see color well. Cervids do not.

bhylton

WKR
if you dont move and have good wind they wont see you.had a herd of 52 cows,calfs and spikes walk by me at 10 yards in an open burned area covered in snow. i was wearing a red/black buffalo plaid pendleton wool shirt with a blaze orange vest. as far as ASAT vs Fusion,i like the fusion because it has less dark colors. dark tends to turn into a blob of dark at long distance

elkyinzer

WKR
Here is a picture that I believe really shows the importance of being in the shadows as I noted above. My dad is wearing ASAT but you can't even see that, he's blended into the background because of the shadows. The human outline is visible, yes and if it were a calling setup I'd prefer that not be the case, but in my experience it's way less likely to get you busted than being in sunlight. If he were ten yards farther along on that path he would be in the sun and stick out like a sore thumb. Deer or elk can pick you right out in the open sunlight I don't care what your camo pattern is.

I farther added three possible setup locations:

A is ok - outline is broken up but you are kind of sunlit. Good camo pattern may help here.
B is ideal - outline is broken up and you are in the shadows. You could probably be wearing a neon jumpsuit and get away with it.
C is as bad as it gets - sunlight and skylit. You are probably screwed even in a ghillie suit.

Trial153

WKR
What dont you like about First Lite clothing?

I don't dislike First Lite at all, however I do not like wool over wool layering so in the past it's been kind of a limiting factor for me.
However they have expanded their line quite a bit so I could make it work if I had to. Their bases are excellent and the Chama hoody is a must pack piece for me no matter what I am hunting or where . The outer layers haven't trilled me however.
I really like ASAT and wish I was able to get in other clothing lines also.

OP
big10hunter
if you dont move and have good wind they wont see you.had a herd of 52 cows,calfs and spikes walk by me at 10 yards in an open burned area covered in snow. i was wearing a red/black buffalo plaid pendleton wool shirt with a blaze orange vest. as far as ASAT vs Fusion,i like the fusion because it has less dark colors. dark tends to turn into a blob of dark at long distance

Fushion has "less" dark colors?

OP
big10hunter
Is first lite setup quality clothing from base to outer...or should I be looking elsewhere?

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
The thing i like about Fusion is the good break up and very little to no blacks. Black for the most part is an unnatural color in nature. I'm a fan of just grays tans and browns