Arrows impacting target at different angles

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
It’s been an archery week from hell. Rest broke and then my release crapped out. Got a new release, had a burr on it and didn’t notice the havoc it was doing to my Dloop and then a quarter through my draw the Dloop cut in half. With 2 more days till the opener I am in pure panic mode.

That said.... my arrows are hitting at different angles on my target when I shoot. They were hitting on an angle a bit before the archery week from hell, but not as bad. There is no fletching contact, I paper tuned my arrows before my rest explosion but not with new rest. I can visually see tail whip from my arrows. Form is solid.

I am thinking it could be some Cam lean but with out a press can’t fix it and it’s a Mathews, so already PITA to correct lean.

All that said I have my fixed BH hitting with my FP at 60.

I am worried with arrows coming in at an angle, I am loosing a bunch of energy. My arrows are numbered and there hasn’t been a pattern to them

Should I keep on keeping on or do you guys have some suggestions. I will be buying a press this winter as our pro shops aren’t great unfortunately.

Bow IBO 345
70lb
29” draw

28.5” axis 300
166g up front
Arrow weighs 525g

Thanks for the help.

Starting with the most obvious changes that have happened to the bow since you last "paper tuned" it; new rest and new d-loop. The vertical and center shot alignment of these two items are going to have a dramatic effect on arrow flight (tail whip). Start with the rest center shot at 13/16" from the riser with the arrow passing through the center of the Berger hole (starting point for my original Traverse setup). Next tie in some simple nock points dead level to 1/8" high on the string (the Traverse liked it level).

That your broadheads are hitting with your field points at 60 yards is a little bit of a mystery to me if you can actually see tail whip. I would check again for potential vane contact.

Starting with the most obvious changes that have happened to the bow since you last "paper tuned" it; new rest and new d-loop. The vertical and center shot alignment of these two items are going to have a dramatic effect on arrow flight (tail whip). Start with the rest center shot at 13/16" from the riser with the arrow passing through the center of the Berger hole (starting point for my original Traverse setup). Next tie in some simple nock points dead level to 1/8" high on the string (the Traverse liked it level).

That your broadheads are hitting with your field points at 60 yards is a little bit of a mystery to me if you can actually see tail whip. I would check again for potential vane contact.

When I got the rest put on at the shop I got them to do my centre shot. Got home shot a big and my broadheads were all over. I looked at my rest and noticed it was installed with it on an angle. Looked at my Centre shot as well, over and inch from riser and the top of my arrow was below the top of the berger hole. Re did everything and set my rest back to 13/16 and ran my arrow in the middle of berger. I don’t have a bow level or anything like that but got it as good as I could tell. Went back out to shoot broadheads. Had to move my rest up a 32nd and they were hitting with Fieldpoints.

I am at a loss on what to do to get rid of this issue. I am assuming it’s a cam thing.

Will shoot through paper after work and see what we’re looking at.

I dont know a ton but i don't suggest that you just accept the bad flight and hunt. You can buy a level at Walmart or harbor freight
to check that. Doesn't have to be a specific archery level. I would say your spine is good for your setup. You said you set the rest where it should be and made a minor adjustment. As someone else mentioned, my guess would be contact. You could try paper tuning at like 20 and try for a bullet hole there. Good luck. I hope you get things figured out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You need to fix this before you shoot at an animal there’s a huge potential of wounding with the flight your describing, my guess is the shop needed to swap your top hats or shim over and instead they set the rest way over to compensate for it, at no point should you accept this as being good enough to hunt with. I if you don’t have time to run back to the shop I would bare shaft not paper tune first close 10 feet or so then back up to 20 yards, you might need to run that rest that far over for proper flight if it needs to be shimmed or top hats moved. 90% of the time I bareshaft tune at 20 yards I don’t need to touch anything and my fixed heads will group with fieldpoints at any distance within my capability. Good luck man.

Sorry I didn’t read the last post, so your 13/16ths and in the center of the Berger? Field points hitting with broadheads? There’s nothing else to fix man sounds like you got it

If broadheads and FP hit together, I would think you're good. I would expect broadheads to plain away if you're getting any sort of right/left tear

Other things to check:
cam timing
also, if drop away timing is off, it could be pulling on that cable and throwing timing off

by chance are you getting different angles in target simply bc it's a bag target? hoping it would be that simple

If you BH hit with your FP's at 60 yards you don't have an arrow flight issue.

If it’s not an arrow flight issue I would figure that I should be having straight impact with my target. I figure I am loosing some energy by arrows not entering straight.

I am shooting into foam not a bag.

If you BH hit with your FP's at 60 yards you don't have an arrow flight issue.

+1

If it’s not an arrow flight issue I would figure that I should be having straight impact with my target. I figure I am loosing some energy by arrows not entering straight.

Depending on the side, mine will do the same in my Rinehart 18-1. I think it is just due to wear and tear. Broadheads are more exaggerated than FP.

If you’re grouping fp and broadheads then my bet would be the new release you’re shooting and your form. I shortened my releases by 3/16 a couple of weeks ago and I was all over the place.

What BH? If it is a fixed blade, I would venture that you are seeing things based on a different colored cock vane. If the arrows were really flying poorly, they would not be hitting w/ FP's at 60. It is possible that your target is an inconsistent medium which is causing the arrows to enter at different angles, especially if worn.

I may be the minority, but if your BH’s and FP’s are both hitting and grouping together at 60, I would leave it.

Unless you have brand new target or an area of a target that isnt compromised from shooting from a different sides, I don’t put much faith in the angle the arrow finishes.

Also if you are shooting in different light; shade to sun to shade or any combination it can give the illusion your arrows are not flying well.

After thinking about it I wouldn't think arrows would still be yawing after 20 yds or so, should be stable by then so probably inconsistency in Target medium.

Obviously I found this thread from searching a solution for the same issue lol. Exact same thing, BH and FP group but I swear I see the fletching swing left with both some, not all the time though. Bare shaft out to 20, all hit with FP but most slanted some even though point of impact matched. Did you ever get it settled out?

Obviously I found this thread from searching a solution for the same issue lol. Exact same thing, BH and FP group but I swear I see the fletching swing left with both some, not all the time though. Bare shaft out to 20, all hit with FP but most slanted some even though point of impact matched. Did you ever get it settled out?

How's the lighting?

Shooting thru shadows, or more like Shooting in shadow thar has streaks of light going thru it will make an arrow appear to fly funny.

How fast is your setup?

What is your broadhead?

If you have bareshafts hitting with fp I don't think your arrows are flying poorly. It's possible to be slower, and have enough drag to overcome some broadheads so they will still group with fp even when they aren't flying well.

How's the lighting?

Shooting thru shadows, or more like Shooting in shadow thar has streaks of light going thru it will make an arrow appear to fly funny.

How fast is your setup?

What is your broadhead?

If you have bareshafts hitting with fp I don't think your arrows are flying poorly. It's possible to be slower, and have enough drag to overcome some broadheads so they will still group with fp even when they aren't flying well.
28.5” draw, 70# VXR 31.5. 28” BE renagade with 185 up front, 465 total, 350 spine. 282fps. I know archers advantage isn’t end all be all but I’m slightly weak with 350, marginal stiff with 300, shot both bare shaft and really couldn’t see any difference results between the two so I went with the one I could get 280 fps with.

I’m shooting in completely open lot with afternoon sunlight, it’s in the back of my head that it’s weak arrow, but with the bare shafting I did with both, and the fact that there’s been times with the same arrow just a week ago that I didn’t see what I think I’m seeing now, it’s got to be form that I’m just not noticing. I can’t explain the point of impact being the same but slanted with bare shaft, but both spines did the same thing and again, BHs hit and aren’t slanted, so I’m really hoping the tail swing to the left is some kind of optical illusion or just grip torque or some crap I’m randomly doing. Sorry for the word vomit.

28.5” draw, 70# VXR 31.5. 28” BE renagade with 185 up front, 465 total, 350 spine. 282fps. I know archers advantage isn’t end all be all but I’m slightly weak with 350, marginal stiff with 300, shot both bare shaft and really couldn’t see any difference results between the two so I went with the one I could get 280 fps with.

I’m shooting in completely open lot with afternoon sunlight, it’s in the back of my head that it’s weak arrow, but with the bare shafting I did with both, and the fact that there’s been times with the same arrow just a week ago that I didn’t see what I think I’m seeing now, it’s got to be form that I’m just not noticing. I can’t explain the point of impact being the same but slanted with bare shaft, but both spines did the same thing and again, BHs hit and aren’t slanted, so I’m really hoping the tail swing to the left is some kind of optical illusion or just grip torque or some crap I’m randomly doing. Sorry for the word vomit.

It sounds to me like it's just an illusion. If your arrow was kicking or whipping to a degree that you can see it, your BS wouldn't be with you Fp's. You have a single bright vane?

Slanted BS impact is common, it's great if you can get them perfectly straight in the target, but I can't always make that happen, I go by the impact. There's so many things in your release that can alter that slightly. If you can get out past 20 yards and your bareshafts are right with your fps, don't worry about how they sit in the target.

Back