Arrow weight

So i typically would like to run the same arrow through all of the 2023 archery seasons. I hunt elk, deer and bear with my bow, and I have some questions on arrow weight. As of right now I’m running easton axis 5mm 300 spine, 50g outsert, 100g broadhead, and I end up about 480g total. I thought about going to a 125g broadhead aswell. Some say that’s not heavy enough for elk but I think it may be the happy medium for the hunting I do.

Bump79

WKR
That is more than heavy enough - 480 grains was "heavy" just 10 years ago. Just think that I'd almost guarantee more elk have been killed with sub 450 grain arrows than greater than 500. There's a lot of nonsense online. That is a great setup for a fixed head & elk.

What is your bow, draw length & weight? With a fixed head I've never had issues with penetration on a 445 grain arrow. My last bull was a pass through on a frontal.

Agree as others have stated. My whole family (Dad, and brother) run 420-460 without problems. I passed through a bear last year running 419. You'll appreciate the flatter shooting for sure.

I’ve gone down the heavy arrow rabbit hole before and won’t ever again. I feel like there’s a balance to be struck. I want an arrow flying between 280 and 290 fps. I also want a hard hitting arrow with adequate weight up front.

I’ve settled on a 460 grain arrow. RIP TKO with 50 grain brass insert, 25 grain Iron Will collar, and 100 grain heads. While these are my newest builds so I’ve not shot an animal with them, I’ve tested them on some mediums that have convinced me this is the best compromise arrow I’ve built.

They fly true. They fly fast. And they hit hard. The latest thing I shot one at was a beef femur bone. They absolutely destroyed that bone, blowing through and turning it into about a dozen picees and then burying about six inches into the target.

Trajectory is great too.

Your arrow is more than enough.

Jethro

WKR
If you want to try a 125g BH, go ahead. Try things/tinker, that's what we do. Pick the one that flies/tunes the best and you're most confident with. But don't change just because someone said 480g isn't enough for elk. Too much data on this forum alone to prove that's not true. Myself included - 435g.

Reactions: BTK

splatek

FNG
Seems like a good build. As long as it flies straight, with a razor sharp broadhead, and you hit the right spot shouldn’t have a problem. IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you're right in the ballpark. i've poked a 450 gr arrow through a few elk in recent years, hope to do so again this year.

TripleJ

WKR
As most others have said, your arrow weight is perfectly fine. Before I knew better, I killed multiple elk with a 390 grain arrow. I had a complete pass through on multiple elk with that set up, including one at 40 yds and one at 55 yds. I also killed a bull with a frontal shot with that set up, and the arrow was poking out the rear end. Was it an ideal weight? No, but it got the job done and the elk were dead in short order. I shoot 465 grains now, and I feel that's a good compromise between speed and arrow weight. There isn't an animal in North America that your set up wouldn't work for, your arrow weight is fine right where it's at. Focus on good arrow flight, sharp broadheads, and hitting where you aim. That's what makes an arrow lethal.

Bump79

WKR
As most others have said, your arrow weight is perfectly fine. Before I knew better, I killed multiple elk with a 390 grain arrow. I had a complete pass through on multiple elk with that set up, including one at 40 yds and one at 55 yds. I also killed a bull with a frontal shot with that set up, and the arrow was poking out the rear end. Was it an ideal weight? No, but it got the job done and the elk were dead in short order. I shoot 465 grains now, and I feel that's a good compromise between speed and arrow weight. There isn't an animal in North America that your set up wouldn't work for, your arrow weight is fine right where it's at. Focus on good arrow flight, sharp broadheads, and hitting where you aim. That's what makes an arrow lethal.
For me - it's more about durability than weight. It's not the easiest to build an arrow below 445 grains that is durable enough for me to feel confident in. Almost regardless of spine. My setup with an Element Storm (or X-Impact) 300 spine, Nexxus Ti components, 100 grain fixed head in 3 fletch is the lowest weight I could get @ 445 grains. It's pretty much my recommended minimum weight for any hunting scenario.

TripleJ

WKR
For me - it's more about durability than weight. It's not the easiest to build an arrow below 445 grains that is durable enough for me to feel confident in. Almost regardless of spine. My setup with an Element Storm (or X-Impact) 300 spine, Nexxus Ti components, 100 grain fixed head in 3 fletch is the lowest weight I could get @ 445 grains. It's pretty much my recommended minimum weight for any hunting scenario.
Yes, durability is definitely one of the more important variables. His set up looks good in that regards. Durability is why I shoot the arrow set up I do now, as opposed to my old one.

crrakcrrak

Lil-Rokslider
Google "ATA and IBO for Bow Speeds", read the info that comes in, and you will see some of the sources of variation between calculators.

Beendare

WKR
The guys I know that are serious about 3d and also hunt with that setup are typically in the low 400’s on arrow weight- call it 420-ish

That said, unless a few points of scoring will make or break you…I would just stay there and spend your time perfecting your shot over tinkering with your arrow.

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
How should I be balancing arrow weight with FOC? For example, I shoot an Easton Axis 30” and with a 50g insert and 18g of fletching and a 20g lighted nock.

With a lighted nock and 125g head I’m at 534g and 11.5% FOC and with a lighted nock and 100g head I’m at 506g and 10.1% FOC.

I could add heavier inserts up front to ‘optimize’ FOC or could drop down to the 100g heads for a ‘faster and flatter’ arrow. It seems like I can’t have both. Is that correct or is there something I’m missing?

How should I be balancing arrow weight with FOC?
Short answer: the importance of FOC has been greatly exaggerated by many archery "influencers"...build for your desired total arrow weight and let FOC fall where it may.

Longer answer: you're shooting a long, dense (10.7 gpi) shaft, which limits your ability to achieve high FOC while keeping TAW reasonable. If you really want to boost FOC, shorten your arrow (if you can), switch to an unlighted nock, and/or switch to a lower gpi shaft. Or, as I alluded to above, ignore FOC altogether and just go shoot what you have.

Insomnia

Lil-Rokslider
How should I be balancing arrow weight with FOC? For example, I shoot an Easton Axis 30” and with a 50g insert and 18g of fletching and a 20g lighted nock.

With a lighted nock and 125g head I’m at 534g and 11.5% FOC and with a lighted nock and 100g head I’m at 506g and 10.1% FOC.

I could add heavier inserts up front to ‘optimize’ FOC or could drop down to the 100g heads for a ‘faster and flatter’ arrow. It seems like I can’t have both. Is that correct or is there something I’m missing?
Foc really is overrated