Arrow setup?

craigrh13

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up some Apollo arrows on here. Shooting at 150 grain head for a total weight of 598 grains they are shooting 245 fps. A 125 grain head shot 248 fps.

My bow is. Reign 7 in the comfort position at 69 lbs 29” draw length.

Is this good? Or too heavy and slow? I will
not be shooting whitetail past 35 yards.

My other arrow setup is a 435 grain total arrow weight(I believe) at 278 fps.

Thoughts???

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
Ok first I would ask what broadhead you are shooting. But then to keep it real with you. If you are never gonna shoot past 35 yards shoot a 2000 grain arrow for all anybody cares. I would say arrow weight and speed doesn't really start playing a bigger role until you get past 40. I mean 245 is slow but if you seriously aren't going past 35 it wont matter. I am a whitetail guy as well but 40-50 is my max range. I am shooting a 515 grain arrow out of my torrex at 73 and 29in. Never chrono'd it but should be around 260ish id say. Honestly just shoot what you are confident in. And that setup for what you described should work just fine.

OP
C

craigrh13

Lil-Rokslider
Ok first I would ask what broadhead you are shooting. But then to keep it real with you. If you are never gonna shoot past 35 yards shoot a 2000 grain arrow for all anybody cares. I would say arrow weight and speed doesn't really start playing a bigger role until you get past 40. I mean 245 is slow but if you seriously aren't going past 35 it wont matter. I am a whitetail guy as well but 40-50 is my max range. I am shooting a 515 grain arrow out of my torrex at 73 and 29in. Never chrono'd it but should be around 260ish id say. Honestly just shoot what you are confident in. And that setup for what you described should work just fine.
Thanks! Yeah, my property the way it is setup there simply won’t be a shot on it past 35 yards for archery.

I’m leaning towards shooting the VPA 150 Omega with bleeders.

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! Yeah, my property the way it is setup there simply won’t be a shot on it past 35 yards for archery.

I’m leaning towards shooting the VPA 150 Omega with bleeders.

I have never used that head but heard good things about it. Personally for me I like 3 or 4 blades for whitetail. Because penetration isn't as huge of a concern vs like an elk. But if you want to shoot a 2 blade for sure get bleeder blades like you mentioned. That helps a lot. If you want a great head for the price QAD Exodus is an outstanding 3 blade fixed. Shot a deer with that and it performed amazing.

I’ve killed dozens of critters with a 500 grain arrow outta my longbow going a blazing 160fps out to 40 yards. You’re fine lol. Even with a vpa 3 blade I blow through critters all the time.

• Love
Reactions: Zac
Whitetail bones are just not that sturdy, and deer aren't that big. A 100 gr g5 deadmeat will break a deers humerous, even on the off side. Doing a max penetration set up is not necessary.

Sellers77

FNG
As Dylan said it really doesn’t matter if you’re staying that close. The only thing I’d consider is if you’re hunting thick environments you will create a lot more arc in the arrow with it being slower. So make sure you learn your arrows path of travel if you are sneaking stuff between, under or over branches. I personally been shooting around 285-290 fps for years and really like a flatter trajectory for sneaking arrows in tight spots(side note I have a 31” draw. Which is huge for speed) This doesn’t mean you can’t do that with that set up. Just practice to learn what your arrows doing.

Good luck this season!

Dennis

WKR
You are on the right track going heavier if you maintain structural integrity, perfect arrow flight, and the weight adds to FOC etc.. You are not alone in your journey to increase lethality and penetration.

BKM

FNG
Not enough difference in weight to matter so whichever one shoots the best.

Personally at your specs I’d shoot a 425 to 475gr arrow.

more forgiving for range and plenty to pass through in almost any situation

OP
C

craigrh13

Lil-Rokslider
So let me be clear on why I have the heavier setup. I bought these arrows on here used. Seemed like a good deal. The inserts are epoxied in. So they are what they are. They are heavy. I do like the way it shoots with the heavy arrows. It just seems to shoot “smoother/quieter”.

The other arrows are just what I got with my bow when I got it setup. They age basically on the complete other end of the spectrum.

I realize for my uses both would be fine. I guess I’m just deciding which way to
go with. I am just getting back into bow hunting after a LONG hiatus. 15 plus years.

preach

FNG
I hunted with “heavy” arrows (565gr) for the last two years. Headed out west this season, so I’m going light and fast.
Black Eagle X-Impacts, steel focus system, 100gr broadheads = 432gr flying at 284 fps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
That would be a definite no go for me. Not really any advantage to going that heavy with that small of a cut. That’s even overkill for an elk. If you want to use that shaft then ditch the ridiculous rhinoceros broadhead. You already have a huge insert so you just need a 100 grain head. At those anemic speeds I would probably stay away from mechanicals. Iron Will Wide would work just fine. Much better head than that Omega anyways. Also flip that mod to Performance, your gonna need it.

OP
C

craigrh13

Lil-Rokslider
That would be a definite no go for me. Not really any advantage to going that heavy with that small of a cut. That’s even overkill for an elk. If you want to use that shaft then ditch the ridiculous rhinoceros broadhead. You already have a huge insert so you just need a 100 grain head. At those anemic speeds I would probably stay away from mechanicals. Iron Will Wide would work just fine. Much better head than that Omega anyways. Also flip that mod to Performance, your gonna need it.
The total cut of the omega with bleeders is 1.9”.

I did not care for the feel of performance mode and it only added 10fps. The comfort mode feels so much better.

I can say that these heavy arrows definitely shoot better or I shoot them better. I was out at my stands yesterday. 30 yards would be my furthest shot with 20 yards and in being the more realistic probable shots.

Zac

WKR
The total cut of the omega with bleeders is 1.9”.

I did not care for the feel of performance mode and it only added 10fps. The comfort mode feels so much better.

I can say that these heavy arrows definitely shoot better or I shoot them better. I was out at my stands yesterday. 30 yards would be my furthest shot with 20 yards and in being the more realistic probable shots.
Do what you want. Comfort is exactly that. It’s just comfortable. You won’t shoot as well and your leaking power. That Omega needs a lot of work if you want it sharp. The bleeders hinder sharpening even more. A lot of people post on here for confirmation, or they just want to be told they are right. If you want my opinion your build is idiotic. If you don’t that’s fine. It will probably still work.

OP
C

craigrh13

Lil-Rokslider
Do what you want. Comfort is exactly that. It’s just comfortable. You won’t shoot as well and your leaking power. That Omega needs a lot of work if you want it sharp. The bleeders hinder sharpening even more. A lot of people post on here for confirmation, or they just want to be told they are right. If you want my opinion your build is idiotic. If you don’t that’s fine. It will probably still work.
Then what do you suggest? Stick with my lighter arrows and a 125gr broadhead for TAW of around 465 grains?

As far as those bleeders go, they are removable so I suppose I don’t understand how that would hinder sharpening? I want to be clear that I am referring to the brand new Omegas that just came out in July.

I didn’t care for the entire draw cycle when in performance. I didn’t see any advantage at all of being in performance. Hence why I swapped to comfort.

Last edited: