Arrow components

Jotis

WKR
Going to try rip tko arrows this year. I have always used hit insets. Thinking of trying podium archer titanium half outs? Are they worth trying or stick to hits?

tdoublev

FNG
Maybe I’m just dumb, but I didn’t see multiple sizing options for Podiums titanium half outs. All the arrow branded half outs have specific sizes for the different spines’ outside diameters. I can appreciate they aren’t a big boy player in the game, but how does that fitting work?

I just made the switch to rip tko and am running podium archer components, half out and tip. Podium archer has a YouTube account with endless videos on different setups of rip tko as well elkshape on the tube. Lots of good info out there

So far I am loving them! They are flying great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I’m just dumb, but I didn’t see multiple sizing options for Podiums titanium half outs. All the arrow branded half outs have specific sizes for the different spines’ outside diameters. I can appreciate they aren’t a big boy player in the game, but how does that fitting work?

He sells 204 titanium half outs and rip tko arrows are 204 and they are perfect fit

I would go with a HIT; however, I have heard multiple reports of some epoxies not holding well in RIP shafts. I'm guessing there's something unique about the surface finish on those shafts that can cause poor adhesion. Further reading here:

That’s the inside diameter not the outside diameter, which varies by spine

If they are made to the largest diameter, it doesn't really matter.

Points are made in ranges so they are smoother, a halfout flares out anyways.

But another reason I don't like halfouts is getting them out of any bag target, forgot that aspect.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I kept the half outs about two weeks when I first changed to RIP TKOs a couple years ago. Make getting arrows out of the target a pain and I had some break that I don’t think would have broken with a HIT.

Now mine are set up like so:
- IW 50gr insert
- IW 10gr TI collar
- 100gr FP or 100gr SBL

One thing I found that worked for me well was gluing in the insert and the head together. I screw the point into the insert, heat it up with my heat gun, roll it in blue glue, then insert the whole thing. Makes indexing broadheads and setting to proper depth much easier.

If you want to change something, dip in boiling water to melt the glue and pull the point/insert out.

I use the GT Trad 600 stainless half outs. Durability is fine and they are a smooth transition. They pull out of targets just fine. The only arrow I have broke squared the metal frame of the target and pushed the tip/insert back about 1/2” into the shaft. I would try the podium inserts but the money is a lot for me to justify.

rugerhoyt

Lil-Rokslider
I took a trip to Africa early summer of 2023. Never done anything like it in my life and I didn’t want my gear to be the problem. I tinkered and shot all winter of 2022 into 2023 and finished with the arrow you are about to build. 505 grain finished arrow with a 150 grain iron will single bevel on the front. I shoulder shot all my big animals and had 0 problems with anything. Little chatter on some blades but the arrows were perfect. I couldn’t be happier or more confident in that build. 7 animals, 7 arrows, they all came home and are still in use.

I will never fear a leg bone again.

OP
J

Jotis

WKR
I took a trip to Africa early summer of 2023. Never done anything like it in my life and I didn’t want my gear to be the problem. I tinkered and shot all winter of 2022 into 2023 and finished with the arrow you are about to build. 505 grain finished arrow with a 150 grain iron will single bevel on the front. I shoulder shot all my big animals and had 0 problems with anything. Little chatter on some blades but the arrows were perfect. I couldn’t be happier or more confident in that build. 7 animals, 7 arrows, they all came home and are still in use.

I will never fear a leg bone again.

Iron will insets?

rugerhoyt

Lil-Rokslider
Iron will insets?

Podium 50gr titanium half out.

Took a kudu bull at 45 yards. Broke the front shoulder through top of heart and busted back shoulder and still had enough to make it out the other side. Broke front leg with pass through on a gemsbuck and wildebeest as well. My other 4 animals were smaller sized critters. Those 3 are all elk sized.