Arrow build to break deer leg near joint

Mudflap621

Lil-Rokslider
It would be hard to substantiate that a specific arrow setup would blow through shoulder knuckles every time on live animals.
There's not a single thing wrong with smashing through a shoulder joint. It's a pretty poor arrow setup that won't break one. Reality is that it's very close the golden triangle, and stuff happens.
I think weight wise you're close, if not there. The head is the next part. Anything one piece, with a long skinny (3:1)design will do it. I shoot Valkyrie Jaggers and they make very short work of deer shoulder joints (545 TAW at 262). Iron Wills definitely will hold up, but the Exodus is no shoulder breaker; avoid anything with paper thin replaceable blades. The Helix might do OK but the long, unsupported point may be an issue. It doesn't take anything spectacular to break deer shoulders, the setup I shoot now isn't anything crazy and it blows them apart much more easily than I expected.
It's absolutely silly to shoot an arrow that won't break a deer shoulder. It's right next to the vitals, even more so on a quartering to shot. It's worse anatomically to avoid the shoulder than hug it tight. Take that "avoid the shoulder" mentality to Africa, and you'll have some tough tracking jobs and likely some lost animals.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Sorry but many different people shoot many different setups and this is the worst advice on this entire thread thanks 👍

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Troy “ the Ranch Fairy” even has his own Tinkerbell logo......

pretty funny really....

Seems like this bone busting topic only comes up with inexperienced guys thinking this will solve all of their problems- it doesnt....But shoot what turns you on

bignocks

FNG
Basically have to do what you can with improving each category. Speed, weight, smaller cut on contact broadhead can all be adjusted until you feel confident. You can take the bleeders off of an ironwill for better penetration but at a certain point you will want more cutting. You will add arrow weight until your sending arching logs. Another thing to look at is like an ironwill footer to beef up the end. Good luck.

The last whitetail buck I shot with my bow - a 51# recurve with a 450 grain arrow - went down fast because I broke the leg joint where it meets the shoulder.

BUT, the arrow passed through both lungs on the way to that leg joint because I was aiming for the off-side leg on a slightly quartering away animal, the way we are supposed to. I would never aim for a leg or shoulder with a bow, ever.

Broadhead was a 100 grain Magnus 2-blade, file sharpened.

Beendare

WKR
The OP is shooting a similar arrow to mine; 515 gr v my 500gr...though I was shooting a 70# compound with a 29.5" DL.

I've blown through spinal columns dropping big whitetail bucks on the spot. On shot went through the top of a shoulder blade then broke through the spine and pinned the buck to the dirt it buried in the ground so hard.

If you aren't getting good performance from a 450gr+ arrow...its probably poor arrow flight. The tiniest wobble KILLS penetration.

Now its true the heavy 550,600,650gr and up arrows penetrate better all else equal....and you will notice a big difference in how quiet your bow is. This could be an advantage for a guy that only shoots 20,30yd shots from a tree stand.

Now if that same 600,650gr arrow guy wants to shoot a field round...with targets out at 80yds...he is going to have to learn to stack pins.

Bowhunting has many "Trade Off" factors....its all about styling your equipment to what you want to accomplish.

_______

OP
B
I did realize I had a tuning issue which definitely didn’t help. Got it all paper tuned. I’ll have to check paper tune more frequently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
I tend to hug the shoulder pretty close but you still have to mess up a shot pretty bad to hit the humerus. I shot a deer quartering to at almost 45 degrees this year. I assumed the arrow broke the humerus but when I took him apart I realized how much room there is in there. It surprises me every time. If you are shooting broadside deer and hitting that bone you probably messed the shot up bad enough that it wouldnt even be fatal if it did break through.

All that said, I wouldnt be taking quartering to shots trying to break the humerus with a lightweight setup like yours. You dont have the horsepower to reliably get through heavy bone.

OP
B
The OP is shooting a similar arrow to mine; 515 gr v my 500gr...though I was shooting a 70# compound with a 29.5" DL.

I've blown through spinal columns dropping big whitetail bucks on the spot. On shot went through the top of a shoulder blade then broke through the spine and pinned the buck to the dirt it buried in the ground so hard.

If you aren't getting good performance from a 450gr+ arrow...its probably poor arrow flight. The tiniest wobble KILLS penetration.

Now its true the heavy 550,600,650gr and up arrows penetrate better all else equal....and you will notice a big difference in how quiet your bow is. This could be an advantage for a guy that only shoots 20,30yd shots from a tree stand.

Now if that same 600,650gr arrow guy wants to shoot a field round...with targets out at 80yds...he is going to have to learn to stack pins.

Bowhunting has many "Trade Off" factors....its all about styling your equipment to what you want to accomplish.

_______

I agree. Doing an elk hunt this fall so I don’t want to be heavier than 500 grains so I have better trajectory. I think that weight is the best trade off for me

I have lost several good bucks to shoulder shots and I’m trying to remedy this. My current setup is 62#. 27.5” draw length. 515 grain arrow with 15% FOC. I have some 125 grain helix (single bevel) but thinking of moving to iron will or QAD exodus. Do you have any recommendations? Do any of you have a similar setup that has broken through the heavier part of bucks leg (below the scapula)? Should I look at changing my setup. My momentum is about .059.

Do ya know how to get to Carnegie Hall?