Arizona Archery Mule Deer

And I don't have experience on those southern border units but I have read stories on here about guys seeing bunches of illegals and sometimes getting too close for comfort. I'd have my piece on me if I was down there for some time.

It's relatively safe down there along the border, if you use your head and act normal. Tucson and Phoenix are far more dangerous than the border is.

Mattman215

Lil-Rokslider
I would never hunt the border alone. A lot of illegal traffic and drugs coming across the border. I would hunt with a buddy and have a camp you don’t mind losing and a truck you don’t mind having broke into.
Just my .02

swervin91

FNG
I have the '24 otc tag as well, also a nonresident. I hunted for just over a week back in January and hunted two different units, one closer to Tucson for the first couple of days and one a couple hours northeast. First unit, glassed up a solid 140s muley buck right away but the mule deer quota had already been met. As far as pressure, there were several other pickups at the trailhead and was fairly busy with pickup and atv traffic as well as wardens.
My hunting partner and I decided to head to a unit where the muley quota was still open. Hunted that new unit for the next 6 days I believe and spent the whole time hunting the same area chasing this old wide 2x2 buck. He was with 10-15 does at all times and was honestly untouchable, got to 95 yards several times but never had a great opportunity. Pressure on this spot was low but did run across a few guys while I was there for almost a week. In this middle part of January, the deer were still rutty but probably on the downward trend. I think that the December hunt would probably see more rut action. Also the weather was very nice, most days were sunny and 65 but we did see a storm that brought some serious wind and some snow, got to 15 degrees and was a wet cold. But very fun otherwise.
Anyways, I didn't end up drawing any other tags this year so I'm headed to Arizona here in another month, not sure yet on where. Its good you are aware of that website with the quotas posted and when they were filled, some units get filled right away and some even blast way past the intended quota in the few days grace period until the unit officially closes. This is all focused around mule deer, I don't pay as close attention to the cous deer quotas.
You hunting it next week when theyre in velvet? I am from So cal and heading to 27 or 7w in a few days.

BBob

WKR
You hunting it next week when theyre in velvet? I am from So cal and heading to ......
Not sure if you've figured it out yet or not but unit specific questions are frowned upon especially from FNG's. You can probably state you are headed somewhere specific but once unit specific info starts to get discussed the thread or posts will get whacked. It's probably best to leave unit numbers out altogether and leave specific info to PM's.

Dex818

FNG
You hunting it next week when theyre in velvet? I am from So cal and heading to 27 or 7w in a few days.
Good luck Im heading over from so cal to hunt the same area as well. Have you been in the unit for early season before?

I’ll be in one closer to NM - my buddy has been scouting for me for the last 2 months. A lot of shorter and narrow stuff up north . Wider and taller on the east side . Monsoons came late and not enough up north .

swervin91

FNG
Sorry didnt know that was a big deal stating it in general. Thank you.
Good luck Im heading over from so cal to hunt the same area as well. Have you been in the unit for early season before?
Thank you and likewise, Im heading out tomorrow. Ive never been during the August months or even to the eastern side of Arizona in general. Have marked many spots on Onx and classing knobs.