Are the UM Tikka action lightening cuts a good idea for a 6 UM or 6.5 PRC?

I have 2 rifles coming back from Unknown soon. a 6mm Creedmoor and a 6.5 Creedmoor. I ordered the action cuts because why not? Fun and interesting option. I have not received them yet so have not had a chance to see or experience the modded Tikka actions in person.

I just ordered 2 more rifles from UM. One in 6 UM and one in 6.5 PRC. Both were ordered with 20" 3B Ace barrels. They will be shot suppressed with a Silencerco Scythe.

With these having more recoil, is it a good idea to get the weight reduced with the action cuts or leave them as is from the factory? The question is about optimizing the rifle and making it as pleasant to shoot as possible. The cost is not a factor for this question.

I don’t think there is much of a benefit regardless the cartridge you are shooting. So no imo its not a good idea.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
I believe it only saves about 4 ounces. I wouldn't think 4 ounces would make enough difference to matter as far as recoil goes.

ljalberta

WKR
I’d personally keep the action unmodified for those. I like some extra ounces when you’re getting above the 6 Creed range.

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
Willing to bet getting those action cuts will increase recoil energy of a bare muzzle 2-3%....

Y'all are seriously taking a concept and making wayyyyy too huge a deal about it.

I know @Formidilosus has stated in the past that fluting a Tikka bolt is dumb. The reason, if I recall correctly, were that fluting the bolt opens up the chance of getting debris down into the trigger, thus reducing the reliability of the most reliable action/trigger available. This was stated before UM started offering this option.

I’m going to get a Tikka at some point from UM, and will most likely have the action cuts milled out to save some weight, as well as the Nitride finish, but have them leave the bolt untouched. I would think that fluting on the bolt could also lead to more of a chance of bolt bind when racking quickly.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the full Monty (chopped, lightened and fluted) on my Rokslide special and it weights less now with the suppressor then it did when it first came out of the box.
e1d50b3b87a1850656652f397e2aeb1d.jpg

I have one on order, but my concern is more about balance. I run a suppressor so the cg is already pretty far forward with a lightweight barrel (forward of the bottom metal).

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
True enough. Generally just looking for comments about the Tikka action cuts.
The action cuts themselves (absent the bolt) are worth roughly 2 oz. I believe those are a fairly expensive 2 oz, but otherwise are inconsequential- good or bad. Do as your heart desires.

-J

I just see the receiver milling and bolt fluting as ways to allow more crap in the action. Balance considerations aside, if you're looking to lose 4 ounces and intend to use a 3b contour barrel, I'd just save the $ on the action mods and get a lighter barrel contour. Less unique, and custom, and "special" but that functionally and cost wise makes more sense to me.

OP
L
I got it for fun on the last 2 and to support UM in their unique endeavors.

Good idea on the barrel size but I think the Ace #3 is the smallest you can get and still get the 5/8" 24 thread for a suppressor.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I got it for fun on the last 2 and to support UM in their unique endeavors.

Good idea on the barrel size but I think the Ace #3 is the smallest you can get and still get the 5/8" 24 thread for a suppressor.
There is no downside to threading a skinny barrel .5x28 w/ a flared 5/8x24 adapter a la Kampfeld or AdCo.

-J

There is no downside to threading a skinny barrel .5x28 w/ a flared 5/8x24 adapter a la Kampfeld or AdCo.

-J
Do you know if UM is offering this type of permanent thread adapter for smaller contours? I’d like to do a 22 CM with a 18” light contour and suppressed.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Do you know if UM is offering this type of permanent thread adapter for smaller contours? I’d like to do a 22 CM with a 18” light contour and suppressed.
Given that they are (or were) having Kampfeld spiral flute their barrels, I assume they'd just ship it across town to him. Jake is friendly, just ask him :) [email protected] or @Unknown Munitions

-J

Gstew1930

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I would do it because i think it looks good, only for that reason