Are Talley rings a reliable choice?

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
I just upgraded the scope on 300wsm from
Vx5hd to a maven rs1.2. I currently have Talley rings I’ve been using. And want to keep using them. But I want to make 100% sure they are as reliable as the rs1.2 that im mounting with them. I d not want any questions on reliability when it come
To this system. I’ve already leaved the hard way with the Vx5hd.
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated thanks!

sambo3006

FNG
I agree with huntnful. I have read many reports of the Talley Lightweight one piece ring/base breaking. I have a set of Hawkins hybrid long range one piece ring/base. They are much more robust with an excellent field record.

I agree with huntnful. I have read many reports of the Talley Lightweight one piece ring/base breaking. I have a set of Hawkins hybrid long range one piece ring/base. They are much more robust with an excellent field record.
They don't make them for Model 70's, so I'm stuck with Talleys for those. Never had an issue yet though in about a decade of use.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I just upgraded the scope on 300wsm from
Vx5hd to a maven rs1.2. I currently have Talley rings I’ve been using. And want to keep using them. But I want to make 100% sure they are as reliable as the rs1.2 that im mounting with them. I d not want any questions on reliability when it come
To this system. I’ve already leaved the hard way with the Vx5hd.
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated thanks!
I saw a set crack in person. Many other reports. Wouldn't trust.

-J

repins05

WKR
I had Talley rings one piece on a 300wm and 300wsm. Hunted with the 300wsm for over 10 years. Guessing 400 rounds down the barrel. Zero issues. My buddies put them on their rifles shortly after me. All .30 calibers. No issues with theirs either.

however … one of the sets I ordered, when I mounted the bases, were not in alignment when I checked them with my scope alignment tool was substantially off (as in not usable). I called Talley and they shipped me a new set next day. Once installed, no issues.

pathnz

FNG
I have used several sets without issue. Currently using 2 sets, 1x 30mm 1x 34mm (1 piece ultralight ringmounts). Have no cracks or issues.

Sounds like there is a risk of issues but it is not certain.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve used Talley lightweight rings for several years with no issues. One rifle is a Remington Model Seven 7SAUM. I will use them on my next rifle, as well.

Choupique

WKR
Back before the internet taught me better, I put Talley lightweights on everything.

Still using them, haven't had a failure yet, including a .375 h&h and 338 win mag. My next mounts will be something internet approved. Since I bought my last scope rings quite a few years ago, I've developed a deep hatred for anything aluminum except beer cans.

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
The ring mounts look clean on ultra light mountain rifles but other than for the looks I wouldn’t use them, so many better options out there like Nightforce, Hawkins, and the Warne Mountain Techs.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
They are not. They work until they don’t anymore. Too small of ring cap screws and general bad mounting design with tiny screws holding the ring bases to the action.

This rear mount broke here, another set started as a hairline crack at the base and then eventually broke off.

IMG_8536.jpeg

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
I have had 3 sets crack on my rifles. Only one that hasn’t, is a medium light 300 Ultra. Yet.

Of course, I haven’t shot that 300 in years, and it doesn’t have any glass on it, so the risk is probably low….

03mossy

WKR
Well, this thread is concerning... All I usually use is Talley lightweight on all our rifles and have for years. I used UM rings for my last Tikka build but will be switching the rest too now.