Are Honda/Toyota/Mazda/Subaru overrated?

grfox92

WKR
I don't think Toyotas are worth what they are selling for. I think they are the best and most reliable vehicles on the road. But they aren't worth more than double or triple what their American counterparts sell for. My opinion of course.

I've been a Ford guy my entire life. I've owned many over the years. Never a brand new one always older vehicles. Many Mustangs, explorers, F150s, Excursions. I have never, ever been broken down, had one not start or suffer any catastrophic failure in any of them.

I currently have a 98 F150 with 265k miles on it. It starts when it's -30 it blows ice cold AC and has a hot heater. Frankly I couldn't ask for it to run any better.

Edit, I should have prefaced, I am talking about used trucks here. I refuse to buy anything brand new, so my mind always goes to slightly older pre-owned trucks. Unless it was a diesel I needed for towing, I wouldn't buy anything brand new truck or SUV wise that wasn't a Toyota.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
I currently own 3 Toyotas—a 2001 Tacoma, 2011 Corolla with 250,000 miles, and a 2014 Corolla. All they ever need are oil and an occasional brake job. In WI the bear hunters buy up the old Tacomas—they are bulletproof.

My 2005 Corolla had 320K+ miles on it when I sold it. Only issues I ever had were a $10 intake manifold gasket and the alternator went out right before I sold it. Other than Semi-routine maint and tires, I had no issues other than backing over it with my Jeep. I really abused it actually since I drove it 120 miles per day. Still got the same mileage on the day I sold it as when I bought it. 36 mpg. Never even changed the plugs and only did brakes once (all highway miles). One gear oil change in the manual too.

Took it on several elk and deer hunts too!

Have been driving an older bmw 328i for the last 4 years and it has 240k on it now.

Just ordered a Subaru Crosstrek to try out. It's built. Just waiting on it to ship.

Attachments

• Crosstrek.jpg
    Crosstrek.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 10

IBen

WKR
Lexus, Toyota, Honda. FAR superior to any other auto makers.

Big step down to anything else, but next up would probably be Mazda.
Pretty sure mazda has been more reliable than all since they broke away from Ford about 10 years ago.

IBen

WKR
I commute 105 miles a day in Alaska driving a CX5. It belongs on the list, no issues whatsoever. the Subaru I had is another story. Better always have some oil and low beams on hands.

Mazda is the only singularly owned auto company. Not sure about right now but a few years back almost their entire line up was manufactured in Japan.

Mazda is the only singularly owned auto company. Not sure about right now but a few years back almost their entire line up was manufactured in Japan.
I would really like to have a Japanese manufactured vehicle. Second best is something not manufactured in Detroit.

I had a Mazda CX-9 as a long term rental and I really liked it. I tried to convince my wife to get one but she had her mind set on a Subaru. If I ever get a commuter car I will look pretty hard at the Mazdas.

yea this type of stuff gets everyone fired up, he had multiple threads. just strange I would have gone to the japanese truck forum first not rokslide

2531usmc

WKR
Might be a UAW member wondering if it’s really a good idea to go on strike while demanding a 32 hour work week and 46% pay raise?

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
Several people in my family have been driving Subaru’s for 25 years now. They all regularly have oil/gasket related issues before 200,000 including the two newest (2018/2019 Foresters). One person went with a Honda CRV last spring. Her first brand other than Subaru since the mid 90’s.

DuckDogDr

WKR
My first GMC was a turd from the day I brought it home, but it was used with 100k on it and I was 16. I was fortunate enough my dad bought it for me. I loved it at first , but couldn’t get rid of it fast enough when I got ready to go to college.
Windshield persistently leaked bad enough if it rained and then froze overnight I would have to break ice out of the steering column in the mornings, burned oil like Iraqis in the gulf war.. 2 quarts in between each oil change. Shorts in all the wiring.. it looked good though 😂

Second truck was a 1997 F150. Really gave me no problems except for a broken serpentine belt until it hit 175k and then it did everything but give up the ghost.
Dash would start flickering if you drove more than 2 hrs and then truck would randomly shut off… have to wait 30 mins and would run fine for another 2 hours until it did the same thing.

Third was a 2006 GMC .. got off to a bad start but really was a descent truck in hindsight.
Bought used - GMC certified with 45k miles .
Within 3 weeks of buying the rear end burned up, metal was literally iridescent blue when they broke it down… dealer didn’t want to cover but luckily it was just under their 30 or 45 day warranty.
Then the day I brought it home from the shop .. went to open the tailgate and all the internals fell to the bottom . But after that gave me no problems. Didn’t even burn oil at 200k.

I traded it in on a 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel as I started doing a lot of farm animal work and I still have it and love that truck .
Work changed and started commuting to a different job .. had a Hyundai that was problem free until I played bumper cars with a suburban and totaled it at 175k

Now I have a Toyota Tacoma as my commuter and general purpose ( Dodge is saved for hauling all my hunting gear and toys)
And when I buy another vehicle it’s definitely going to be another Yota .. Truck has been great. Dealer however won’t get another penny from me EVER but that’s a different thread

DuckDogDr

WKR
I’m on my first tundra, a 21 so I don’t really know yet. So far happy.

GM and Ford drove me to it. Fords rusted out way too soon. My 3/4 T GM fell apart way too soon. And the UAW is now demanding a 48% pay raise lol.
Do the 21’s have the new turbo 6 or are they still the V8’s

DuckDogDr

WKR
That was the last year of the V8. 22s have the 6
I wish they all did still… kind of been bouncing the idea of getting a new truck in my head but the V6 is just a big turn off…. On bright side it making me wait until I absolutely have to HAVE one