Are hiking ridges before daylight to get above elk a bad idea?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
From the sounds of it I may be causing more harm than good. Is this a terrible idea?

Not necessarily. The mountains are HUGE country. Just because you may bump some elk around where you are, doesn't mean that you may not glass several other groups of elk on distant slopes or drainages. That's a successful way of hunting them.....pattern them and make a plan. That's the way I used to rifle hunt them. But for archery I'm all about the rut. And if they aren't talking, I'm not interested.

J_hol

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe a little off topic, but when do thermals switch? Is there a rule of thumb or is it too variable based on slope, wind, sun, weather, etc.?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Thermals are driven by temperature change at ground level which has generally driven by the sun hitting a slope. So, the first wind shift will occur on steep, east-facing slopes and so on (steep because the sun hits steeper slopes at a more direct angle the further you move away from the equator). Full-on daytime thermals will usually be in full-swing by mid morning. The tops of basins generally swirl because the prevailing winds are colliding with thermals at ridge-tops.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not necessarily. The mountains are HUGE country. Just because you may bump some elk around where you are, doesn't mean that you may not glass several other groups of elk on distant slopes or drainages. That's a successful way of hunting them.....pattern them and make a plan. That's the way I used to rifle hunt them.

That's about all you can do during rifle other than randomly bump into them. They aren't talking so eyes are king usually.

Thermals are driven by temperature change at ground level which has generally driven by the sun hitting a slope. So, the first wind shift will occur on steep, east-facing slopes and so on (steep because the sun hits steeper slopes at a more direct angle the further you move away from the equator). Full-on daytime thermals will usually be in full-swing by mid morning. The tops of basins generally swirl because the prevailing winds are colliding with thermals at ridge-tops.
That's a very well done explanation, thanks.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Not necessarily. The mountains are HUGE country. Just because you may bump some elk around where you are, doesn't mean that you may not glass several other groups of elk on distant slopes or drainages. That's a successful way of hunting them.....pattern them and make a plan. That's the way I used to rifle hunt them. But for archery I'm all about the rut. And if they aren't talking, I'm not interested.

So how does your tactic change in Sept as compared to rifle season? Do you again just identify areas you think will hold elk and then walk around and bugle or cow call?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So how does your tactic change in Sept as compared to rifle season?

I don't sit and glass during archery. Most of my glassing is in the timber as I'm moving in on elk. I locate them with calling then move in. I never wait for them to come to me. I'm not very patient, and my hunting shows it. Even if I did wait for them, I'm always moving around so I'd get picked off anyway, so I aggressively go to them to speed things up. However.......you gotta know (or have a really good idea) whether you're running down a satellite bull or a herd bull. Tactics change on the go if they have to.

I hunt like I'm just another bull on the mountain looking for cows to take. Bulls on the mountain don't sit and glass.;)

I don't sit and glass during archery. Most of my glassing is in the timber as I'm moving in on elk. I locate them with calling then move in. I never wait for them to come to me. I'm not very patient, and my hunting shows it. Even if I did wait for them, I'm always moving around so I'd get picked off anyway, so I aggressively go to them to speed things up. However.......you gotta know (or have a really good idea) whether you're running down a satellite bull or a herd bull. Tactics change on the go if they have to.

I hunt like I'm just another bull on the mountain looking for cows to take. Bulls on the mountain don't sit and glass.;)

Yeah thats the way i have learned to bow hunt too..Sitting and waiting has never worked for me, at least not on public lands elk... when there talking I move quick! i have tried to get elk to come to me, doesnt work that well, but if i get in their bubble, thats a whole other story. I have had 18-20 mile days in some country during bow season.

Great explanation. Thanks.

I really like these educational threads - here's an illustration because other hunters have done these over the years and they've really helped me learn.

This is a real ridge I hunted on my first trip, to Colorado several years back. A huge herd was in a pattern of feeding basically anywhere on the South facing slope at night, then around 9 each morning right as the thermals started swirling, they would pop over the top and bed in one of the North facing bowls coming off the main basin, likely on the benches, marked "B". This is brutally steep country, and the elk used the few saddles, benches and bowls there were extensively.

So here is what our strategy should have been, and what I learned, from screwing it up. We should have climbed to location "X", which is similar to what Les is saying, to start the hunt each morning. From there, assuming reasonable downward thermals, the herd is still likely "up" the main basin which is open meadows mixed with scrubby aspen type stuff. That puts the herd in reach, but out of your scent stream. As they made their morning move toward bedding, we could try to quarter up and cut them off on one of their travel routes. Right about where I marked "C" would be reasonable camp spot in my opinion, most of the elk were higher than that with still pretty easy access up to the ridge.

What we actually did and what I learned: We were spiked a mile away, so each morning we came in from the main creek to the South and climbed toward where the elk were feeding (we could hear them). We didn't use the topography to our advantage, instead we were constantly playing catch up trying to chase them straight up the mountain. We learned quickly we couldn't outclimb the elk. It was a brutal freaking climb and we had no chance, and we were too inexperienced and had gear too heavy just to move camp to make the ridgetop more accessible predawn. After a couple days of this these elk had basically broken us and we focused elsewhere during the mornings and found a couple smaller groups we got into. On the last morning, I finally decided to venture into the timber where they were bedded and called a nice bull in, but got beat by the swirling winds.

This is awesome. I'd love to see a whole series of maps labeled with the "Us Now Vs Us as Noobs" labels. Somebody else got one we can learn from???

Darrin

FNG
I'm going on my first elk hunt this fall. All this type of info is very educational.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk