Are Colorado GMUS worth it for 1st rifle elk?

Never been on an elk hunt, but have hunted mulies in Colorado. Applied and had PP for my 1st choice and typed random codes for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choice. What are the odds I end up drawing… but me drawing 2nd choice with 0 PP worries me on the quality of the unit that time of year. But beside the hunt code in the game book it says (NEW) so I’m stumped. would be public DIY. Worth it or should I return?

11boo

WKR
Never been on an elk hunt, but have hunted mulies in Colorado. Applied and had PP for my 1st choice and typed random codes for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choice. What are the odds I end up drawing… but me drawing 2nd choice with 0 PP worries me on the quality of the unit that time of year. But beside the hunt code in the game book it says (NEW) so I’m stumped. would be public DIY. Worth it or should I return?

That is an unusual strategy. Good luck dude.

OP
dwhite3616
You just apply for the PP then.
Sorry newbie here for out west. I can’t remember exactly, but the way I remember applying a couple months back I typed hunt code for PP for first choice, but had to type in other codes for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th?

OP
dwhite3616
If all you wanted was a point, the point code would be your first choice, and you shouldn’t have put anything for choice 2,3,4.
Gotcha. Seems I remember it not letting me skip out on 2 3 and 4 but probably misremembering. Thanks, now I know for next year.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
Is it worth it? Weird question, of course it is. Look at a map, Google Earth, etc, pick a spot and go hunt

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
So I did the same and actually drew my third choice (points only as first choice) first rifle either sex in unit **. So any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoot

WKR
Best help I can offer both of you asking for help in this thread is in the future, do more digging for info BEFORE you apply for a tag than AFTER. Know if "it's worth it" before an option actually goes in your application. ...and read the regs before you apply so you know how to apply correctly.

Last edited:
Expert clarification please. If OP returns his 2nd choice tag, does he keep his PP? CO hunt brochure is vague:

"If you drew a license you would like to return, payment for the license is still required first. You can then return it for a refund OR preference point restoration. You must relinquish your license AND carcass tag at least 30 days before opening day of the season for which the license is valid."

Expert clarification please. If OP returns his 2nd choice tag, does he keep his PP? CO hunt brochure is vague:

"If you drew a license you would like to return, payment for the license is still required first. You can then return it for a refund OR preference point restoration. You must relinquish your license AND carcass tag at least 30 days before opening day of the season for which the license is valid."

It's not vague.

This guy drew a second choice tag. It does not affect his point. He can return it for a refund, or not.

If you draw a first choice, you can return it for a refund OR get your preference points restored to your pre-draw level.

wildcat33

WKR
It’s a “new” hunt code because those were formerly OTC and now draw. Who knows how many licenses they issue, a lot I assume.

You still have your PP and it’s as good as any leftover or OTC unit that you also don’t know. Just dig in to the maps and figure out a strategy.

11boo

WKR
You guys applying really need to do more homework. I’ve been hunting with a great guy from Iowa the last several years, and he screwed up his app. Would have been an easy draw for him, except he only put in for a PP, no second choice of our easy draw unit. Now he gets to play the secondary boogie.

OP
dwhite3616
You guys applying really need to do more homework. I’ve been hunting with a great guy from Iowa the last several years, and he screwed up his app. Would have been an easy draw for him, except he only put in for a PP, no second choice of our easy draw unit. Now he gets to play the secondary boogie.
Sounds like me and him should’ve traded places… I had no intentions to go out west this year