Are Box Stores Irrelevant?

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone still make more than 50% of their outdoors purchases at hard stand stores? I really only use them to get sizes and a feel for quality, then look for deals online. Sometimes I feel bad for it but there’s just such better deals to be had over the web. What’s everyone’s go to store nowadays?

elkguide

WKR
I shop locally as much as possible. Yes many times they are more expensive but they are paying for a building, people to wait on and answer my questions and local and state taxes as well as shipping to get the products there. If I and others don't support them, when I need something the day before or during the hunting season, it's nice to have what you need available.

Mosby

WKR
I now go to Scheels and Rogers Sporting Goods when I am in Kansas City area. I don't bother going into Cabelas or Bass Pro anymore. The next time I go east on 70, I plan on stopping at Midway but do most of my purchases through them online. Between those three stores, I can normally find what I need and if they don't have it I probably don't need it.

solomtnhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Sometimes box stores are cheaper and just simply quicker to get what you need. Usually if i'm thinking about buying something it's because i need it NOW.

dtrkyman

WKR
Not yet but it's getting there, I rarely go to the store for anything. Only thing is buying things I need to know the sizing, but if the store is not on par with price I buy somewhere online.

We have very few locally owned retailers here in south Florida and the ones that are here rarely have the specialized stuff we need. So online it becomes. Everything in the retailers are cheap Chinese imported garbage. Try to buy the American made custom quality stuff from small online businesses

mlgc20

WKR
I purchase all my archery stuff locally, at Cinnamon Creek. We also have Cabela’s and Bass Pro nearby. I will often go there for ammo or fishing lures/spinners. Otherwise, most everything else is online.

Rich M

WKR
I wish there was a good box store locally. Just something about being able to touch and try stuff on before you buy it. Just tough for a store to match online variety in what they carry.

elkyinzer

WKR
Big box stores, very rarely. I used to work by a Sportsmans Warehouse and hit that up for things in a pinch but I don't go out of my way. Virtuously, I try to shop locally owned places. I do feel that is important and I value it, but when push comes to shove their selection usually sucks and I head to the internet to find what I am looking for.

Idahoguy

FNG
Most camping and fishing items around here are sold out. Hopefully everything gets back to the old normal soon.

East idaho has a really good selection of small, locally owned stores, they just aren't all in the same town. Hux's gun shop in Pocatello, Archery Idaho in IF, Mountain Archery in Rexburg are all great examples of good locally owned stores. I can almost always find better deals online, but then I'd be a hypocrite complaining when there wasn't a place to buy a box of shells the night before opening day.

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer to shop at local shops but will go to Sportsmans if they have something I am looking for. Same with Scheels when I lived near one. For things like archery and fly fishing I will always check the local shop first. If they dont have it then I will see if they can order it for me. Much rather give my money to a local shop then buy online.

I prefer local shops if they provide quality service and are good at what they do (as obvious as that sounds). Maybe it’s up-ity of me, but it really gets me when I go to a local retailer PURPOSELY to spend my money there, and they give shitty service.

It makes it that much harder for me to try local when I can search endless deals online and buy what I need without leaving my house.

Recently, online I came across new-old stock 40% off a bow that was discontinued 2-3 years ago. Haven’t seen the bow on sale in years, so I bought it. Went in to the local pro shop for a tune and drop away rest mount (rather than having it done from the online dealer I bought it from) and LITERALLY the first words out of the bow shop owners mouth were, “Why didn’t you buy from me?”

He never advertised it on sale, the last time I was in the shop they didn’t have the bow in stock, and I don’t have a relationship with him...

I then proceeded to ask if he had a wrist sling and he said, “all we have are these pink ones, but you can buy them on Amazon for $15) Am I the only one to see the irony there?!?!

Rant over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nutsknr

FNG
I still get a bunch at Sportsmans.

The one in Riverdale has an excellent archery guy. Tom.

I buy a bunch of bullets there generally.

Camofire gets a chunk of my change now

kata2012

Lil-Rokslider
I like getting to actually examine what I want to buy before I get it. I used to work across the street from a Field and Stream store. I would go there on my lunch quite a bit and look around. They advertised that they would price match if you found the same item cheaper online, but even then, they were difficult to work worth. It seemed like they were always coming up with reasons why they couldn't match a price on a legitimate online retailer, so I usually bought online. Guess that's one of the reasons they closed down and are now a Sportsman's Wearhouse. I haven't been in there since the change, but hopefully, they have better price matching policies when I do have a chance to check it out.

jmez

WKR
I buy a lot of stuff from Scheels and a local archery store. Scheels matches prices. Only things I order is stuff that neither has.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

If you like online so much I bet you can't wait for the days when Chinese factories are marketing directly to us and everything ships from China.

Voyageur

WKR
Because of where I live I do a bunch of my shopping online. When I do get near a store and they have what I need it is almost always a Scheel's or a Runnings...both great stores with great service.