Are binoculars and a bino harness neccessary?

Skull10

WKR
I am hunting elk early archery in Colorado this year. First time in this unit, but all reports say it is steep, thick and rugged. Perfect.

My question is: Are binoculars and a chest bino harness really necessary? Have any of you guys hunted archery elk without binoculars?

I know for me in archery hunting, I want a “close up” of the animal I’m hunting to ensure it’s what I’m looking to harvest before I begin my strategy to get a shot.

Example, I won’t start grunting at a whitetail buck to bring it into range if it’s not one I want to shoot. No reason to give him an education in my grunting skills or lack thereof OR worse yet, have him downwind me & ruin my chance to harvest him when he gets bigger.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I like to have them, even in thick timber. They are handy if you set up to call or still hunt. You'd be surprised what you can pick out with binos vs your eyesight. A pair of 8x32 would work well for single handed looks. I like a simple harness that keeps them from pulling on my neck. A pouch type isn't super necessary, adds bulk and isn't as easy to use singled handed. Find a way to rig your range finder and you're all set. I use a length of elastic cord and and a spring clasp.

IMO binos are an absolute must for elk regardless of how thick or open the country. I use them in heavy timber to and typically will grab them as soon as I see movement to know what I am looking at. The harness is a nice to have and once you have a quality harness you likely won’t hunt without them. It makes easy access and protects the binos plus keeps other necessities like wind checker, calls and range finder ready for use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eltaco

WKR
Honestly, I think Binos are a critical piece of gear, even in the thick stuff. I have my Binos our frequently each day, especially to find elk in timber when I know I’m close... I’m always astounded at how well elk can blend into their surroundings in dark timber. It’s easy to accidentally bump a herd you’ve been following, or just randomly walk into them.

If it comes down to finances, at least bring a cheap pair... but I wouldn’t recommend leaving home without them.

OP
Skull10

Skull10

WKR
Thanks for all the input guys. I have a good pair of Vortex Viper 8×42's in a AGC chest harness. I have a lot of neccessary stuff in that as well.

I'm trying to figure a good option to carry my pistol. I cant find a good hip holster to fit on my Kafaru hip belt. I've tried many. Just digs into my hip bone to much. The AGC holster on the bino harness was way to floppy. Sent it back.

I like the chest holster that Gunslingers makes the Kenai I think. But then the bino harness becomes an issue. Not sure what direction to go in.

Cdroot89

Lil-Rokslider
I am new to elk hunting and don’t have much experience. I too have been doing a lot of research and like the Kenai. I have the same concerns that you do. Have you looked at the razco?

I have not tried it but other guys here have and I am sure plenty can give input.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've archery hunted elk plenty of times without my binos, and definitely without a bino harness even when I do take them. I keep them under my right arm with the strap around my neck, just like my bugle tube. I hate stuff on my chest, other than my small RF in my front left pocket. I've never had a raghorn go toe to toe with me with bugling, so by the time I can see the bull, I already have a pretty good idea if I want to shoot him based solely on how the interaction has gone leading up to that.

As good as even inexpensive binoculars are these days, there is no reason not to have some at hand. The harness is debatable. I know it's popular right now for guys to wear chest packs but I've never felt the need to. I use a paracord harness that costs nearly nothing to make, is light and wraps around my bins for easy packing. When I'm elk hunting, I add the eyepiece cover, tethered to the paracord harness with a short length of paracord. That's it. I tried a full chest pack the first year and it didn't last 2 days before I chucked it.

If you can spare $100, try and find a pair of used Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32's. Great bowhunting binocular that are razor sharp, light and handy and they can take a beating.

I think that binos are essential for any hunting. You don't need a fancy bino harness unless you spent a lot of money on glass. I use a cheap $20 elastic chest strap and it works just fine.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

GarrettCrain

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input guys. I have a good pair of Vortex Viper 8×42's in a AGC chest harness. I have a lot of neccessary stuff in that as well.

I'm trying to figure a good option to carry my pistol. I cant find a good hip holster to fit on my Kafaru hip belt. I've tried many. Just digs into my hip bone to much. The AGC holster on the bino harness was way to floppy. Sent it back.

I like the chest holster that Gunslingers makes the Kenai I think. But then the bino harness becomes an issue. Not sure what direction to go in.
JC Custom Kydex on Instagram. Are you carrying on your belt or on the waist belt of the pack?

OP
Skull10

Skull10

WKR
I was trying to carry the pistol on the right side hip. Attached to the hip belt. I did a training hike with 60 lbs in pack. Winched down the hip belt and during the hike, I could feel the pistol digging in my hip. It left a deep bruise for a week

fmyth

WKR

I wear the Kenai chest holster with a Kuiu bino harness. I have to push the chest holster down about an inch lower than I wear it without the binos. I wore it for 30 days last year while hunting CO and AZ. I carry a 9mm in the Kenai. I just purchased a 10mm and new holster but haven't tried it out yet.

i like to wear the bino harness it keeps a bunch of things handy. however i will say that i will be upgrading to the AGC kiss bino pack instead of the AGC kodiak cub max or whatever the one i have now is. too bulky, and with 10s and a rangefinder its a load on my ******* chest. all i want is my chapstick, windchecker, tags, pen, zip ties and 10s on my chest.

GregB

WKR
What I did on my kifaru was run some 3/4 or 1" webbing vertically through the loops then another set horizontally. Then I connect the holster through the horizontal straps. Makes it easy to pull the holster and put it on my pants when I drop the pack, and keeps it from grinding on my hip.

OP
Skull10

Skull10

WKR
What I did on my kifaru was run some 3/4 or 1" webbing vertically through the loops then another set horizontally. Then I connect the holster through the horizontal straps. Makes it easy to pull the holster and put it on my pants when I drop the pack, and keeps it from grinding on my hip.
View attachment 100958
That's a great idea, I have a nice paddle holster for the glock already.

elkguide

WKR
In Colorado I would carry binoculars way before a sidearm.
Whether you carry them at your side, on your waist or on your chest to me isn't relevant as long as you have quick access to them.
I switched to 10X42 Swarovskis when I was guiding in Wyoming and figured that when I hunted in the thick stuff that we have here in the east I wouldn't use them. Boy was I wrong. I am totally lost without my binos.

I try to go as minimalist as possible during archery elk so I can cover ground and keep my back and knees feeling good. I'm not concerned with antler size so I don't really need a close up look at anything. My gear most days I hunt from base camp:

Pack
Bow
Bow tool
Water bladder
Water filter
Food
Game bags/paracord
Knife
Head lamp
Phone
Rain jacket
Bugle tube and diaphragms
Leuko tape
Emergency beacon
License/tags
Lighter

If shit goes sideways I would rather just get back down the mountain to camp than carry a 25 lb day pack loaded with backup this or that every day.

Serious question - why are people carrying pistols during archery season in Colorado? Is it for black bears?

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
I always have binos with me but not necessarily wearing them. Unless it's raining or snowing I dont use a full harness just basic bino bra. If I'm calling in thick timber during archery they are usually in my pack. Almost all of my elk encounters are close I need to have my bow ready no time for binos.

Also, I've never carried a pistol in CO or NM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk