Are aftermarket stocks worth the price?

Loper

WKR
As a lefty, rifle choices are often limited. Recently, some more Browning x-bolts became available for lefties, however Browning only makes them in the Hunter model which is the wood stock configuration. I'd like to use the rifle for backcountry hunting, however, I'm somewhat (but not overly) concerned about wrecking a nice wood stock or potentially having swelling that might throw off the POI. I can be pretty hard on gear, so I have no doubt that a wood stock would have at least one scar on it after the first outing. I've begun looking at custom aftermarket stocks and have found a few brand/smiths that will make a relatively lightweight stock (about 20 oz), However, the stocks almost cost the same amount as the rifle, which is making me rethink getting an aftermarket stock. I could probably go the Boyds laminate route, for a lot less money, but they are heavy and I don't want to add additional weight to the rifle.

Anybody been in this situation? Did you buy the aftermarket composite stock or just hunt with the wood stock? Any regrets with the decision you chose? Are aftermarket stocks worth their price tag?

I've put aftermarket stocks on all my rifles, the cost of custom/aftermarket stocks has gotten pretty crazy but for me its still worth it. Used a lot of McMillan Edge stocks on the past but there are plenty of other options these days. Not sure who all will inlet for a Browning??

cjcavinaw

FNG
I think its a balance of what its worth to you. I put an ag composites on my remington 700 and absolutely love it, it cost more than the gun did brand new but to me having a stock thats comfortable, fitted to me, mitigates recoil and improves my ability to be consistent and more accurate behind the gun it was well worth it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I've put aftermarket stocks on all my rifles, the cost of custom/aftermarket stocks has gotten pretty crazy but for me its still worth it. Used a lot of McMillan Edge stocks on the past but there are plenty of other options these days. Not sure who all will inlet for a Browning??

The companies I've found that will inlet for a Browning X-bolt in left hand is MacMillan, MPI, and Pendleton. The Pendleton is about $700 and MPI quoted me $900, MacMillan is slightly less expensive than the Pendleton, but is a lot heavier.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
I think it’s a similar parallel to having a 4x4 stock truck…will the 4x4 and factory clearance and tires work for your intended purpose? For a truck that sees limited off-road use and don’t want potential pin striping taking it off-road, slightly worse gas mileage, maintenance/installation that comes with modification-leave it stock…if your purpose is to get better off-road performance, then some type of aftermarket lift/level and/or better suited all terrain tires becomes an added cost.

Agree with everyone. It’s your rifle so I would do it if you have the expendable cash. For me I use whatever comes with the rifle but I don’t shoot competitively. I shoot at paper and animals and have always been happy with results. That said I wouldn’t mind a cheek riser or pad on some rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Factory stocks are usually just enough to get you by and make it work. Aftermarket stocks are wayy better in every regard imo.
They have gotten stupid expensive but they are definitely worth it.

If I could afford it I'd replace every single stock with a McMillan or manners.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I've used a few different kinds of chassis and for awhile I used 2-3 different variants of the Manners EH1 (EH1/EH1A/EHF1A). I'm going back to KRG chassis though since they just fit me better and I like the flat fore end for full length arca rails.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be that guy. Lefty Tikka t3x. Around 6.5lbs, composite stock that actually works very well, and they shoot. $30 for a recoil pad and done.
Living in western Washington with all our rain and dealing with all the wood stock issues, I’ll never use one again.

I think its a balance of what its worth to you. I put an ag composites on my remington 700 and absolutely love it, it cost more than the gun did brand new but to me having a stock thats comfortable, fitted to me, mitigates recoil and improves my ability to be consistent and more accurate behind the gun it was well worth it.

Which one did you go with? I’ve been looking at the alpine hunter and adjustable hunter.

cjcavinaw

FNG
Which one did you go with? I’ve been looking at the alpine hunter and adjustable hunter.
I did the adjustable carbon k2. Its not on their website but if you call them to order they will do it for you.
156e914a24914e6fd7742fab85e422d2.jpg

My only caution would be make sure it makes it the gun you think is a keeper. You likely won't recover the cost in a resale. So it's "worth it" provided it gets you a rifle you plan to use and keep! Good luck!

Macintosh

WKR
Eh. People have used wood stocks since the dawn of time. If the stock itself fits you, bed it, seal it so it doesnt absorb water that gets between action and wood, and dont look back. People talk about wood as if it was fine china, and its not. Yes, factory stocks these days are less well finished and it will swell some if it absorbs water…so seal it, its an easy DIY job for anyone and takes little time and little $. The same ding in the finish people worry about will also scratch the surface of a synthetic stock…if you dont mind the epoxy/paint look then why worry? Put a drop of finish in the ding to seal it when you get home, but I can assure you it wont fill up with absorbed water through a scratch in the finish. I will only point out that a prominent member of this forum known for his fascination with uber-reliability and his habit of dropping things, likes to post pictures of his wood-stocked rifle. If you are in coastal alaska or some place like that, or you are looking for a 1300 yard tack-driver, or you dont care to do a little basic maintenence every couple seasons I get it, but for most folks wood is absolutely not going to hold them back. Get a synthetic if the incremental gain makes sense for you at double the price, but dont for a minute think that wood isnt perfectly adequate in 99% of uses.

Last edited:
OP
L

Loper

WKR
I think it’s a similar parallel to having a 4x4 stock truck…will the 4x4 and factory clearance and tires work for your intended purpose? For a truck that sees limited off-road use and don’t want potential pin striping taking it off-road, slightly worse gas mileage, maintenance/installation that comes with modification-leave it stock…if your purpose is to get better off-road performance, then some type of aftermarket lift/level and/or better suited all terrain tires becomes an added cost.
Great analogy with the truck modifications.

My only caution would be make sure it makes it the gun you think is a keeper. You likely won't recover the cost in a resale. So it's "worth it" provided it gets you a rifle you plan to use and keep! Good luck!
Good point on making sure it’s a keeper. I was originally planning to have the gun shipped to the stock maker before I took hold of it to save in shipping, but I think I’m just going to have it shipped to my FFL first to handle it and see how I like it.
Eh. People have used wood stocks since the dawn of time. If the stock itself fits you, bed it, seal it so it doesnt absorb water that gets between action and wood, and dont look back. People talk about wood as if it was fine china, and its not. Yes, factory stocks these days are less well finished and it will swell some if it absorbs water…so seal it, its an easy DIY job for anyone and takes little time and little $. The same ding in the finish people worry about will also scratch the surface of a synthetic stock…if you dont mind the epoxy/paint look then why worry? Put a drop of finish in the ding to seal it when you get home, but I can assure you it wont fill up with absorbed water through a scratch in the finish. I will only point out that a prominent member of this forum known for his fascination with uber-reliability and his habit of dropping things, likes to post pictures of his wood-stocked rifle. If you are in coastal alaska or some place like that, or you are looking for a 1300 yard tack-driver, or you dont care to do a little basic maintenence every couple seasons I get it, but for most folks wood is absolutely not going to hold them back. Get a synthetic if the incremental gain makes sense for you at double the price, but dont for a minute think that wood isnt perfectly adequate in 99% of uses.
Noted on the wood stock. I haven’t received it yet but I think I may examine it and perhaps hunt with it a few times before putting the money down for a custom composite stock.