Archery Unit 561/56 - CO

cured_ham

WKR
I am considering applying for this elk tag in lieu of going OTC. Does anyone have any experience they would be willing to share. A couple searches on this site did not show much. This would be my first elk hunt.

Thanks!

Unit specific questions are generally frowned upon here. You will get positive answers when asking about gear, weapons, animal behavior and maybe even tactics. Pick a unit and go! Enjoy the journey.

I was not aware. Thanks for the information. Should I close/delete the thread or just let it die?

Last year while fishing up there in August and again in late September after my NM hunt, I couldn't believe all the treehuggers, bikers n hikers. I would have thought I was in Denver. I saw the same thing up around Borias Pass a few years back. And they weren't just on the roads. Just unbelievable what used to be quiet peaceful mountains is overrun by treehuggers. Unbelievable......oh and btw, I love CO. So much that I feel like a resident I'm up there so much ;)

Last edited:
HA! I can't believe all the out of state people ruining all the fishing spots around here...

Show me a beaver pond and I'll show you how to catch a few fish ;) You can thank the CPW for that when they made a fishing license mandatory to apply a few years back. Now I'm gonna have to start making a dent in the grouse population since I have to buy a small game license ;)

Realize it is past draw dates, but for future readers...I've spent some time in the area, and oh man is it over run with hikers and bikers, especially 561 with the mountain bikers. Save your time. Honestly can't get away from them. 56 is full of 4wheelers and people hiking the colorado trail.

Reviving this thread: The people recreating in the unit, are they there all month of September? Or does it die off after the labor day weekend?

Back