Archery Setups to Minimize Frontal Shots

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
Archery elk seasons over the past handful of years have often had frontal shot opportunities. Most opportunities in past seasons were passed up in hopes of a better shot, broadside or quartering, but this year we had an encounter that didn't go according to plan that involved a frontal shot. Another scenario from this season initially presented as a frontal, but with some patients, it turned into a lethal broadside shot.

So, I'm curious, when folks have a elk come in frontal are you doing anything intentional to get a better shot opportunity when the elk is 15-25 yds away? I've heard guys say they wait until the elk whirls, then stop the elk with call or mouth noise ("mew" or "yo"), then take a quartering shot (or something similar). How are you avoiding taking a frontal shot, or rather, how are you setting yourself up physically (or mentally) to have a better shot opportunity? I would love to hear constructive advice or suggestions instead of just "don't take a frontal shot". Thanks in advance.