Archery Set Up For Elk

crrakcrrak

Lil-Rokslider
This year my elk set up is as follow: Hurst Prana Recurve 61'', 45# at 28'' (I pull 29, it scales at 47 at that draw length); for arrows: Easton Carbon Trad cut to 30'', 50 grain brass insert, 190 Tusker two blade broadhead. Arrows fly like darts. String: Flemish twist 14 strand D97 w/beaver fur as silencers. I am excited for this year.

trevvamos

Lil-Rokslider
Hey folks,

I know that this subject has been covered a million times. However, I would like to get your honest opinions and thoughts, especially from those who have similar set ups and experience on elk.

I am an avid whitetail and pig bowhunter. After switching from aluminum to carbon arrows a few years ago, I experienced the occasional issue with poor penetration using various 100 gr BHs and 370-ish gr arrows.

This past season, I increased the weight of my arrow, BH, and F.O.C. to the below specs. This combo is very accurate, and the trajectory is fairly flat even with with my short DL. My bow is tuned well. Last season, I had excellent results and complete pass throughs on the deer and pigs that I shot. The 4 pigs weighed from 180-220 lbs. Ranges were from 13 to 35 yards. All shots were broadside or slightly quartering away. Everything died within 100 yards, and all had good blood trails except for 2 of the bigger boars. I think that the combination of the mud covered hides, thick shields, and fat kept most of the blood in the chest cavity as they were full of blood. However, I was able to recover them.

I will be going on my first western archery elk hunt this year. To say that I am excited is an understatement!

I want to ensure that what I am using is sufficient for elk. However, I have a lot of confidence in this set up and am apprehensive to change anything.

I fear that if I increase the BH cutting diameter, I will not get complete penetration. If I increase the TAW, the trajectory will suffer.

My current set up is:

Bow: Mathews VXR-28

DW: 63 lbs (I hope to increase to 65lbs or more prior to the hunt as long as my accuracy is not affected)

DL: 26.5”

Arrows: Gold Tip Hunter XT 300 spine cut to 27.5”

BH: Slick Trick Standard 1”, 4-blade, 125 gr (I do touch up the tips to increase the sharpness)

Total arrow weight: 428 gr

F.O.C.: 13%

Speed: 255 fps

I don’t have many experienced archery elk hunters within my circle of friends to discuss ideas. So, I really appreciate your thoughts and time to respond.
Sorry but you can only kill elk, pulling 90 pounds with a 37” draw length.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
I have been known to " loose it" occasionally due to buck fever.
I read on a few other posts to do some sort of exercise like jumping Jack's, burpees, or sprints to get your heart rate up to simulate the adrenaline dump that often occurs when elk hunting and using a timer. Do you have any other suggestions to simulate shooting under pressure?
If you have a buddy to practice with have a competition where you shoot at different distance and see who gets closest…
Not sure what your routine practice looks like, but I’ve always found it helpful to stretch distance…I practice out to 100 and try to shoot groups at 75 at 3” or less; then when regularly shooting 20 (which is easier for reps in my backyard), I use a 1” dot placed on target to aid in aiming small. I also start faced 90 degrees away from target with my bow down and turn and shoot to help increase speed to target (simulating that spot and stalk where you have to pivot and be ready). Elk are a big target, but still need the same aim small mentality as you have on pigs/whitetail. I’d say a pig is closer to an elk when it comes to hide/toughness in bringing down.

As far as set up, you’ll be good. My brother in law (27” draw length; 65lbs) and I (29” draw length; 65lbs) both took mature bulls at 35 & 72 yards. He was using Carbon Express Maxima Reds 340s and I was using Pierce Platinum 300s both with 100gr Rage Hypodermics (I like how they fly/group at distance, and have taken several pigs with them—also used Muzzy MX-3 successfully on pigs).

Haha!!
I guess my smurf sized self will never kill an elk!!
you will be fine just have a friend back you up with 375 H&H.

on a serious note don't over think it and don’t just practice from one position

Last edited:

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
I have been known to " loose it" occasionally due to buck fever.
I read on a few other posts to do some sort of exercise like jumping Jack's, burpees, or sprints to get your heart rate up to simulate the adrenaline dump that often occurs when elk hunting and using a timer. Do you have any other suggestions to simulate shooting under pressure?
Shoot with your buddies for some money or join a league! Other practice I like to do is stand facing about 45* from your target. Draw back and slowly pan to your target like you’re following an elk that’s walking then go through your shot at that awkward angle. If you’re hunting rutting elk then there’s not too many times you’re able to draw back and shoot a perfect shot. You’re more likely to be drawing back when you’ve got a chance then holding for what feels like an hour before you’re cow calling to stop one. Your arrow set up will kill one no problem if you’re hitting where you aim.. Good luck! You’ll be hooked

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot with your buddies for some money or join a league! Other practice I like to do is stand facing about 45* from your target. Draw back and slowly pan to your target like you’re following an elk that’s walking then go through your shot at that awkward angle. If you’re hunting rutting elk then there’s not too many times you’re able to draw back and shoot a perfect shot. You’re more likely to be drawing back when you’ve got a chance then holding for what feels like an hour before you’re cow calling to stop one. Your arrow set up will kill one no problem if you’re hitting where you aim.. Good luck! You’ll be hooked
Looks like we practice very similarly 😂

OP
T

TJRNER

FNG
I appreciate everyone's responses and suggestions. Thank you!

Like Chris was saying, shoot under pressure. 3d tournaments are great for that. As Elkhntr08 said as well. Shooting your 3d target from different angles and positions you wouldn't normally shoot from is helpful for me. I know its hard not to already know the ranges in your yard but practice without a rangefinder as well. As fast as it can and often does happen in the elkwoods, we may not have time to range on every situation. At the same time though, we often have more time to draw, anchor, aim and release than we think,so rushing the shot isnt necessary

LostArra

WKR
Practice range estimation. Shoot a lot at unknown distances.

The size of an elk body makes range estimation a challenge for me. I live in the country but no elk are around so I don't see them until I'm hunting. I see whitetail deer every day but elk are so much bigger and every range mistake I've made on elk has been underestimating the distance. I don't shoot a fast bow so that makes it even more critical.

Two years ago in one of those "stuff happens fast" moments I made a perfect 40 yard downhill shot on a 50 yard 6x7 bull. He looked at my arrow in the dirt and walked off to 85 yds in a sage flat, bedded down and stared at me for two hours. He wasn't chuckling out loud but I'm sure he was grinning. Even now I would swear that elk was at 40 yards.