Archery practice while wearing a backpack

*zap*

WKR
3D shoots can evolve into a whole lot of nothing to do with archery practice if you let it/want it to. The minute you are looking for score rings vs looking for a quick kill shot it becomes something of its own nature......not hunting practice.

Whatever floats your boat and/or accomplishes what your there for.

87TT

WKR
I don't do a lot of 3D shoots but I did the Northwest Mountain Challenge at Hoodoo and Tamarack. I wore my full hunting pack of around 25 lbs. I shot every target on every course at both events with the pack on and the quiver. There were kneeling shots, straddling rock shots, sidehill, up hill, down hill and even a tree stand.
And I didn't keep score on any of them. I never look for those scoring rings. I just shoot like I would if it was a real situation. But I doubt I'll ever shoot at a caribou at 120 yards or a moose at 100. :)

JNDEER

WKR
If you are a good shot. And you shoot fine at home with a pack, what do you feel was the problem at the 3d range?
bow torque?
fatigue?
soar muscles?

3D shoots can evolve into a whole lot of nothing to do with archery practice if you let it/want it to. The minute you are looking for score rings vs looking for a quick kill shot it becomes something of its own nature......not hunting practice.

I’ve found that looking for a “quick kill shot” leaves a lot of room for error. Learning to take your time and pick a small spot to aim, such as the 12 ring, develops discipline that leads to improved accuracy. Obviously your not aiming at a the 12 ring at different angles on a deer but aim small miss small. Some 3D ranges around me are very steep and have challenging shots, mix that with sitting and kneeling it’s a lot more real world than shooting a target in most people’s back yard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
I’ve found that looking for a “quick kill shot” leaves a lot of room for error.

Not flinging arrows quickly....quick kill shot=a shot that kills quickly, a well placed shot due to the position of the animal not aiming at some usually irrelevant dime sized ring...

:D

I shoot year round but right around early June is when I get into in my training for hunting "mindset". Once I get my broadheads dialed in I start shooting with quiver and pack on. I also shoot more 3D targets and less paper dots. Kinda of a natural transition to simulate real world bow hunting.

I carry a Fanny Pack with, Shoulder support straps, inside, my 45 Pound Pack. We hike "in" a couple of Miles to our "Spot" then, we unload the Packs and set up Camp. I put my Fanny Pack on to Hunt with. The FP has,.. 30 Oz's of, water, elk Sacks, Knife, Para Cord, snacks, range finder, call, Rain coat, Emergency stuff, etc and weigh's, very little ! I / we shoot 3 D with these Packs on, quite often and have, NO problem with, GOOD accuracy. My son and grandson hunt with their full sized, EXO packs but, they have, ONLY the SAME stuff in them that I carry, Theirs probably weigh, less than 10-12 pounds total of, Pack, gear & water. We quarter the Elk and make a couple of trips out to the Truck, one with the Gear, one with, the Elk meat. The 3 of us, can take an Elk out, in ONE Trip. Fortunately, it's ALL, down Hill,.. LOL ! PS; Hunting and trying to shoot with, a 50 pound pack "on" is NOT, my idea of,.."Fun"

Last edited:
OP
F
If you are a good shot. And you shoot fine at home with a pack, what do you feel was the problem at the 3d range?
bow torque?
fatigue?
soar muscles?

My backyard is 20-30 yards down the side of my house. The wind was a major factor on the open field shots where on several because of the wind I was aiming 3 inches right of the 10 ring and hitting 3 inches left of it. Then I discovered if my heart rate got near 150 I tended to shoot low and left. Like I said it was humbling. When you have 50 pounds pulling you back and need to lean forward around an obstacle I found it to be a learning experience. Much harder than I expected since the terrain wasn’t that rough. It was flat to rolling hills. It was a longish course of about 4 miles from start to finish.

OP
F

As I said earlier other than the 3 complete misses which I would much prefer to a wounding hit that gives me a higher score. All of my other shots would have been killing shots but not necessarily where I was aiming.

NstihL

FNG
I've never practiced with 50# in my pack. I always spike camp and don't intend to ever get a shot while packing to or from camp, but I guess it could happen. In that case, I would plan to drop my pack. I typically practice with 15# which is my normal daypack weight, and I'm good with that weight. Glad you found out the affects of a 50# pack before September!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
3D shoots can evolve into a whole lot of nothing to do with archery practice if you let it/want it to.

3D shoots are a competition against other shooters, that's what they're for. Some guys may choose to shoot them for other objectives, but the competition and aiming at and hitting the scoring rings is the main objective. Practice should have happened well before you got there.

When I just want to "shoot stuff" for hunting preps, I run the 3D courses with my pack and just shoot them. No RF, no binos, no rings, just estimate quickly and take the kill shot.

JNDEER

WKR
Farm - your practice sessions were nothing like what the 3d course / real hunting situations will be. Like others have said, lower your pack weight to what your day pack will be (ie load just your day pack stuff in it) and shoot with it on. Do a couple push ups or sprints before a shot to simulate increased heart rate or slight muscle fatigue. Just like figuring out your shooting form, you can figure this out as well.

pbcarch

WKR
What do you carry in your pack?

What I thought I would be carrying is a rain jacket, a puffy, watch cap, gloves, my first aid kit, water bladder, water filter and steri pen, kill kit, lighter, emergency blanket, head lamp and two days worth of food.

Looking for advise on this. Should I bring my sleeping bag and a tarp in addition to what I have above?

I by no means am an expert with one elk season under my belt....but in hunting pack mode my kifaru is very light, almost unnoticeable. I do not have a bladder just 2 filled nalgenes and filtering capability. Only cary the days worth of food and pretty much everything else you stated, give or take. I never weighed it but my guess is south of 25 lbs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
F
I by no means am an expert with one elk season under my belt....but in hunting pack mode my kifaru is very light, almost unnoticeable. I do not have a bladder just 2 filled nalgenes and filtering capability. Only cary the days worth of food and pretty much everything else you stated, give or take. I never weighed it but my guess is south of 25 lbs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks that’s great info!