Archery Hunter Killed by ML Hunter

True but people that are raised in the west seem to know what an elk looks like. I’ve heard some wild stories of people from back east hunting the west. Like a check station in Montana where some guys from out east had a llama in the back of their truck that they thought was an elk

The logic passes the smell test. Made me look into how many moose are mistakenly shot and holy piss, an average of 12 moose mistakenly shot in CO annually is a bad look.

A quick google search found 2 cases with CO residents, 1 NM resident, and one OK resident.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'll stand by it all day, thanks for your concern cupcake.

Go stand behind it while you’re on the ban list for a week. Because that’s where I just put you.

Your comment bout the guy being from the east doesn’t have much to do with the situation man.

Plenty of Western hunters have killed other Western hunters

Please don’t bring that tone to our forum when and if you come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider
How many other people are in the woods that would act similarly? How do we fix that?

Not tolerate any unsafe handling practices from friends, family, ourselves. Everytime you see it happen whoop some butt figuratively or literally because if you let it slide it only reinforces that behavior as acceptable.

Lfkfam

FNG
A truly unfortunate situation. I've been wearing an orange upland vest when I'm out hunting grouse during any rifle season for this exact reason. Since covid, the hills up here are packed with people. Hunters, mountain bikers, foragers etc...

Head on a swivel when you're out there.

Almost 75k more hunting applications in 2021

chadcharb

WKR
Not really sure what you are trying to convey. In Colorado, September bear rifle season is basically the same dates as archery ( the whole month of September). Both bear rifle hunters and muzzleloader hunters are required to wear orange. Bow hunters are not at any time unless they are hunting with a bow on a rifle tag
The post I replied to said on Washington you have to wear orange in overlapping seasons and I was saying it's not necessarily true. Our (Washington) fall bear season is any weapon (including rifle) and runs from August 1- October 31 and overlaps archery deer, archery elk, muzzleloader deer, muzzleloader elk and no one has to put on orange until rifle deer opens mid October.

Gregory John Gabrisch​

OCTOBER 20, 1989 – SEPTEMBER 17, 2021​

Obituary of Gregory John Gabrisch

Gregory John Gabrisch​

October 20, 1989 – September 17, 2021
Gregory John Gabrisch, 31, of Houston, Texas, passed away unexpectedly on Friday, September 17, 2021. Greg was born on October 20, 1989, in Houston, Texas. He married his best friend and love of his life, Stephanie, on November 24, 2018.
Greg, at his core, was an artist. His talents were first recognized when he was 5 years old, and his artistic passion steered his life from then on. His creativity shined in everything he did. Greg was an artist, a painter, a photographer, a sculptor, a designer, a videographer, a chef, an amazing athlete, a jack of all trades. Greg excelled at everything he loved. He loved life and had an extraordinarily passionate soul.
Greg was loved deeply by his wife Stephanie, his family and his countless friends. His infectious personality and exceptional spirit made anyone that met him love him instantly and want to be around him all the time. Greg always had a contagious smile on his face.
Greg was preceded in death by his loving grandparents, Mary and Bill Esterline, Dave and Dorothy Gabrisch, Joseph Strini, Sr.; and his uncle Joseph Strini, Jr. He is survived by his loving wife, Stephanie Gabrisch; his loving parents, John and Nancy Gabrisch; mother-in-law Sandy Arriens (Rene); father-in-law Steve Anderson (Marie); sisters Julie Pratt and Lisa Shiach (Euan); sister-in-law Abby Anderson, brother-in-law Thomas Anderson (Christine); nieces Madelyn Pratt and Abby Pratt; Eleanor and Anabelle; nephews Dillon Pratt, Owen Pratt, Liam and Callum Shiach; grandmother Jackie Strini; aunts and uncles Mark and Kelly Gabrisch, Scott and Kelly Gabrisch, Vicki and Dave Ballard, Peggy and Mike Baker, Dennis and Jane Strini; and countless loving cousins.
The Gabrisch family would like to thank friends and family for the great amount of love and support we have received during this difficult time. We will carry Greg in our hearts forever.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Gregory John Gabrisch​

OCTOBER 20, 1989 – SEPTEMBER 17, 2021​

Obituary of Gregory John Gabrisch

Gregory John Gabrisch​

October 20, 1989 – September 17, 2021
Gregory John Gabrisch, 31, of Houston, Texas, passed away unexpectedly on Friday, September 17, 2021. Greg was born on October 20, 1989, in Houston, Texas. He married his best friend and love of his life, Stephanie, on November 24, 2018.
Greg, at his core, was an artist. His talents were first recognized when he was 5 years old, and his artistic passion steered his life from then on. His creativity shined in everything he did. Greg was an artist, a painter, a photographer, a sculptor, a designer, a videographer, a chef, an amazing athlete, a jack of all trades. Greg excelled at everything he loved. He loved life and had an extraordinarily passionate soul.
Greg was loved deeply by his wife Stephanie, his family and his countless friends. His infectious personality and exceptional spirit made anyone that met him love him instantly and want to be around him all the time. Greg always had a contagious smile on his face.
Greg was preceded in death by his loving grandparents, Mary and Bill Esterline, Dave and Dorothy Gabrisch, Joseph Strini, Sr.; and his uncle Joseph Strini, Jr. He is survived by his loving wife, Stephanie Gabrisch; his loving parents, John and Nancy Gabrisch; mother-in-law Sandy Arriens (Rene); father-in-law Steve Anderson (Marie); sisters Julie Pratt and Lisa Shiach (Euan); sister-in-law Abby Anderson, brother-in-law Thomas Anderson (Christine); nieces Madelyn Pratt and Abby Pratt; Eleanor and Anabelle; nephews Dillon Pratt, Owen Pratt, Liam and Callum Shiach; grandmother Jackie Strini; aunts and uncles Mark and Kelly Gabrisch, Scott and Kelly Gabrisch, Vicki and Dave Ballard, Peggy and Mike Baker, Dennis and Jane Strini; and countless loving cousins.
The Gabrisch family would like to thank friends and family for the great amount of love and support we have received during this difficult time. We will carry Greg in our hearts forever.

Thanks for sharing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
Judging by the guys handle you quoted, he's from Idaho.
A guy from Idaho has no reason to go to the east. Btw, stereotypes gain traction for a reason. Simply put, more people are shot while hunting in the east than the west. It could be more of a terrain or population density issue but where's the fun in that. After living in the southeast for two decades I can say hunters orange is there for a reason.
In the midwest and NE, deer drives are huge. Large groups of hunters pushing out thick areas and shooting at every deer they see. This is a way of life during many deer seasons in this area. Its also the way the WR Whitetail was killed in Saskatchewan. In the deep south, dog hunters do a lot of this the same way. Dogs run deer all over the country and standers wait and shoot. That is why more people get shot in the east. MANY more hunters in the woods, 1000's more actually. Simple math is the reason the numbers are higher for "accidents" and hunting deaths in east vs west. Stand hunter shooting deaths in areas that do not allow dog drives , and where man drives arent popular, are very very low. Orange is required for everyone during firearms seasons. As it should be.

Poser

WKR
In the midwest and NE, deer drives are huge. Large groups of hunters pushing out thick areas and shooting at every deer they see. This is a way of life during many deer seasons in this area. Its also the way the WR Whitetail was killed in Saskatchewan. In the deep south, dog hunters do a lot of this the same way. Dogs run deer all over the country and standers wait and shoot. That is why more people get shot in the east. MANY more hunters in the woods, 1000's more actually. Simple math is the reason the numbers are higher for "accidents" and hunting deaths in east vs west. Stand hunter shooting deaths in areas that do not allow dog drives , and where man drives arent popular, are very very low. Orange is required for everyone during firearms seasons. As it should be.

Without looking at the statistics, I’ll wager that treestand accidents are significantly higher causes of injury and death in the Eastern US vs shootings when it comes to hunting specific accidents and fatalities.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I was confused by that sentence when I first read it in the article, because it goes on to say Gregory was dressed out in dark brown camo. where does the white come into play?

Actually these news outlets reporting on any event is always a mess.
Face would be white if not painted or covered. Be my first guess.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
True but people that are raised in the west seem to know what an elk looks like. I’ve heard some wild stories of people from back east hunting the west. Like a check station in Montana where some guys from out east had a llama in the back of their truck that they thought was an elk
I've seen far more issues with rural vs urban hunters than any geographic region. I've seen idiots from big cities kill cows down south thinking they were deer. Stupidity is nationwide. Elk get killed every year being mistaken for deer, moose get killed being mistaken for elk. I hope they put this shooter in prison for the rest of his natural life, but they probably won't. Either way, a wrongful death lawsuit is coming and he deserves it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
Should we dig up the thread about a bunch of Idaho locals surrounding a herd of elk with their vehicles and taking pot shots with something like a 10% accuracy rate? Mind you that is lower than the NYPD pulling on 12 lbs Glock triggers, compared to rifles.
That happened down in Meagher, MT last season too!

Erict

WKR
Without looking at the statistics, I’ll wager that treestand accidents are significantly higher causes of injury and death in the Eastern US vs shootings when it comes to hunting specific accidents and fatalities.

NY keeps good records on Hunting Related Shooting Incidents and a while back started keeping track of Elevated Hunting Stand Incidents. "Hunter orange" has not been mandatory except for youth hunters until this year, when all BIG GAME FIREARM hunters (deer + bear) must wear orange.

Overall, our statistics show that self-inflicted incidents are primary cause of NY big game HRSIs and when two or more parties are involved they most often know each other.

Wearing orange is synonymous with the current vaccine debate - it won't keep you from getting shot but it might change your odds of a serious outcome.

Last edited:

prm

WKR
More orange for hunters is not the solution IMO. There are still cattle, sheep, hikers, campers, dogs, and all the other wildlife we don’t have tags for, in the mountains during hunting season. Hunters should not get inadvertently led to the mindset that they can shoot if they don’t see orange. In a weird way, I wonder if knowing that no hunters had on orange would make hunters pause? I don‘t have the solution, but whatever it is, it needs to get hunters to really ID their target.