Aram Von Benedikt

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Fitting this happened in Utah. Growing up hunting there I’ve been apart of this playing out 4 different times. Maybe not all this bad though.

Personally, if a deer is wounded mortally but not well I think finishing it is fine. I’d want someone to do the same for me. However, taking ownership and projecting to his degree of how it would have went is too much.

When I was young I shot two deer wounded by other hunters. One I claimed and one I didn’t. I also have had one wounded deer shot by another hunter.

One was going Mach 3 down a bottom after taking a 300 to the meat of the ham. Dropped it and when we got to it there was a discussion. The other kid was pissed. Dad’s did an autopsy and my shot was quickly lethal and the kids shot may or may not have resulted in a recovered deer. The dads decided it was mine and we moved on. The other kid was angry about someone else shooting at the same deer. I Get it. But in this case it quickly ended the animals suffering and his shot was going to make recovery tough.

Another time as a kid I had no idea the deer had been hit, heard a shot, buck pops out of the trees and stops. I shoot and it drops. Get over there and it had a good blood trail leading to where it was hit. I Was certain the buck was going to drop there if I didn’t shoot. Tracked the guy down who tried and tried to get me to take the deer but it was his and I made him take it.

One of the first bucks I shot at was a big 4. I had buck fever something terrible. I hit it in the guts and then just couldn’t hit the poor thing again. It went over the ridge. Boom boom boom. Got over there and they were already on it gutting it. Sad I missed out on that deer but not that they shot it. I was happy they shot it, It was a bad hit and I am glad they put it down. Recovery by us was unlikely.

Point being I don’t agree with the “never shoot at someone’s deer” approach but this guy messed up. He doesn’t seem genuine and he’s making a ton of assumptions and gymnastics to make this his deer. Also, his story just sounds like bullshit especially when you can’t make your mind up about the deers characteristics.

bowkill

FNG
So is it really considered more of an achievement to shoot them from a distance where they have no idea you were there even if you coughed than to shoot them from a distance where they can probably hear you blink?

gabenzeke

WKR
I read part 1 of 5 and stopped here:

"I do feel badly that Rachelle felt like I was pushy. I do get intense when I’m trying to recover a wounded animal, and in this case I knew that we needed to push the buck to keep it bleeding. If the buck was allowed to bed up and his wound coagulated he would be nearly impossible to track down and recover"

Never in my 35 years of hunting have I ever heard this BS. You are always taught to let them bed up.
It's actually solid medical advice. If ever you find yourself bleeding out without access to medical care, just lie down. The wound will coagulate and you will be fine momentarily. In fact, even if you have access to medical care, it's expensive. Probably best to just lie down.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

KenLee

WKR
It's actually solid medical advice. If ever you find yourself bleeding out without access to medical care, just lie down. The wound will coagulate and you will be fine momentarily. In fact, even if you have access to medical care, it's expensive. Probably best to just lie down.

Gaaaawwwtttt 😉

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
You’re not thinking about the likes! The clicks!! The shares!! The social media clout!!

Come on man!
Thing is if AVB and crew would have done this he could have got plenty of likes and clicks. AND be able to write up a great story on sportsmanship and good deeds, things of that nature AND had a decent reputation in the other side of all this. Instead he was a selfish a$$ clown and pretty much ruined any reputation he may have had.

So is it really considered more of an achievement to shoot them from a distance where they have no idea you were there even if you coughed than to shoot them from a distance where they can probably hear you blink?

I'd say only the toolest of tools sees it as a bigger accomplishment to shoot far and most just shoot far because they don't have a closer shot or are worried they wont get one.

CorbLand

WKR
Yes and no.

Thing is if AVB and crew would have done this he could have got plenty of likes and clicks. AND be able to write up a great story on sportsmanship and good deeds, things of that nature AND had a decent reputation in the other side of all this. Instead he was a selfish a$$ clown and pretty much ruined any reputation he may have had.

Makes sense but methinks he wouldn't be that excited to write about the wounded buck he saw and then made a shitty shot on at long range.

Sadly, this happens regularly in WA during general deer.

There are two groups in the general area I hunt whose entire philosophy is to throw lead within 800 yards and then drive them down with ATV's & Side-by-Sides.

No disrespect to the guys that are truly proficient at long range, but at a certain point you're well outside a Mule Deers entire arsenal of natural senses and defenses.
The exact reason why I stopped hunting WA general deer. I've never seen it so bad and it has gotten to a point where it is just dangerous

Ucsdryder

WKR

Well yeah, but you stop and use your hand or a tourniquet to stop the bleeding. If an animal does it they’ll usually go to sleep and never wake up.

The main issue and difference between a human and an animal is if you push an animal that’s gut shot, there’s a very good chance you’ll lose the blood trail at some point and the animal. That animal can cover a mile in the blink of an eye when pushed. It’s a stupid thing to do and a stupider thing to say out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.