AR vs Bolt Action for Coyotes?

I've always been a bolt guy myself. I have plenty of ARs and have taken coyotes with them, but a bolt gun in .223, .243, or 6CM is what I pick up when I'm going out calling.

Jreinf

FNG
I’m definitely a bolt action guy but that 6 arc has me really debating building an ar…

IW17

FNG
I use both depending on conditions. I've taken multiple coyotes on a set with both, sometimes with all but the first at a dead run. The bolt is slower to work but the more powerful round usually drops the coyote right away. Sometimes with the AR I have to shoot twice at the same coyote to make sure they are down before moving to another. Both have pros and cons.

One of my main pair is a bolt 243 with a 4-16x Huskemaw for more open country, wind, or when I have other hunters with me set up for the close shots. I like how flat and fast it shoots so there is less worry about range or wind inside 300 yards.

The other is an AR set up with a 3-12x Huskemaw and a 45 degree red dot sight. It gets the most use. I like leaving the scope on 6x and using the red dot for close shots most sets. If one hangs up out there a ways it's less movement than when I wanted to turn up the magnification, less chance of being spotted. If one hangs up quite a ways out I can dial up the turret and magnification. I shoot a 73gr bullet with a .400 BC that does pretty well on longer shots if I have time to dial and set it up. Since going up in bullet weight I have less coyotes that spin or carry on after the shot at any range. My old ammo was some reman stuff that shot great, but only pushed a 55gr V max at 2950fps from my 20" barrel.

I take both when I go hunting. The 243 is always ready in the vehicle or UTV if I jump one between spots. It shoots much flatter so I don't have to think as much about range. If I jump one and it stops to look back I can just shoot most times.

The AR can stay in my Eberlestock scabbard for when I get out to walk that way. I shoot heavy bullets in it and they drop quicker but I like how hard they hit. I hate that Hornady quit making the Superformance 73gr ELD-M ammo, my rifle loves that stuff. I'll be experimenting again once my last few boxes are gone and getting a new turret tape made.
You're the first person I've heard of besides myself using a RDS on a 45 degree mount. I get a lot of flack on most predator sites. Personally I love it. I used to carry a shotgun and a rifle. Had the rifle on a bipod and the shotgun in my lap. That got old fast. I can comfortably shoot out to 100 yards on a dog with the rds, and have my scope dialed up for distance.

For this reason I prefer an AR. Two birds with one stone. I started off using a Stevens 200 in 22-250. Still have it. It was an affordable option when I was 23 and broke. At that time an AR platform was anything but cheap. Lots of great memories with that rifle. Might have to dust it off for old times sake. That said, 22-250 definitely does a better job of dropping them in their tracks. 223 works, but even perfect shots sometimes lead to them running a good distance.

Give me a bolt every time. Something light and compact and easy to carry. I like a compact Tikka or a Howa Mini Action for yotes.

Haven't built it yet, but a AR10 seems ideal to me. Running a 6mm Rem bolt gun with my thermal currently and follow up time on pigs is less than ideal to say the least.

A 6.5 Grendel in the AR. Tears them up with a Hornady 123 ELD M. Last bobcat I shot was 40yds and I shot it too far forward in the shoulders. I carry either a 6XC or 22/250 in the bolt gun. This time of year they are mating and I would rather carry the AR for a possible 2nd shot. It’s generally pretty thick where I hunt also. I would rather carry a bolt because I really don’t like AR’s that much. Nothing wrong with them just I have always used a bolt action and that is what I prefer. People talk about how inaccurate they are but I have found the opposite. I use anything that will kill a coyote. Even a truck. lol

I’m definitely a bolt action guy but that 6 arc has me really debating building an ar…
Happy with my 6 ARC build. Nice addition to my 223's. Haven't shot anything but paper with this yet, but it's been on a couple fruitless coyote hunts this year. I'll be using it for hogs this April.

QjYdVpj.jpg

natey57

FNG
I’m in NY, so it’s nearly impossible to get an AR right now…..so for me, bolt action it is!

84fb6db6916551f5ef6a459b3aebc64b.jpg

Ar in 224 Valkyrie works good down for my thermal setup in South Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
I'm still using a bolt and last year over 1/2 my coyotes were doubles. The primary reason I'm using a bolt is financial. I got my Savage PH for $600 and I own it. It'll cost $1000 or more to get into an AR, which I just don't want to spend to shoot worthless coyotes. In my country, follow up shots just aren't a big deal- I took 10 coyotes with 11 shots last year. Except for one that I missed (Excuse #12: scope was fogged. Which it was, because I'd climbed up a rim rock, pushed the gun ahead of me, and accidentally breathed on it), when I pulled the trigger, a coyote died. Had I killed that one, I would've had 4 doubles for the season, every double that came in, actually.

Austin915

FNG
I like using my ar 223 for quick follow up shots. Probably going to change it up to 75g 556 next month to get less runners

pirogue

WKR
What do most of you prefer for yotes - AR or bolt action rifle? Also, which caliber do you prefer?
None of the above. Some of us hunt em in the woods, where you can hear em coming in. 12 guage, Hornady BB

Attachments

• 94FC2956-58DA-4FFB-B082-55E85BBD0D36.jpeg
    94FC2956-58DA-4FFB-B082-55E85BBD0D36.jpeg
    863 KB · Views: 21

turbo406

FNG
So far been running bolt guns but a 6 arc really has my attention as of lately, to those with them how do they stack up against a 224 valk? Not really interested in running super heavies as I would like to keep some speed.

Rob762

FNG
I use both depending on situation. If I’m just riding around and see a yote in the distance, then my .223 AR is probably next to me and that’s what’s used. If I’m purposefully going out to look for em, it’s a bolt action .220 Swift just because I like it. I reckon they both do what you need them to within any reasonable distance

575hunter

FNG
AR with LPVO for daytime. Easier to pickup a double with a follow up shot.
Clip on thermal addition for night. Just started using this setup but so far I really like it.
Also upped to 6MM ARC. Heavier bullets work better on hogs.

WCB

WKR
I'm a bolt fan...but do have my AR and use it. I shoot a .17hornet in no wind days confidently to 300yds. No issues with running shots or picking up doubles within reason. Majority of the time I have a .223 bolt gun no issues shooting doubles really but I shoot A LOT and can work a bolt pretty well.

AR is great truck gun and I use it calling a bit. Big upside is capacity for running Coyotes but really if a guy doesn't kill a dog in 4-5 shots it probably isn't happening. I know guys that kill yotes on their 15th shot but it is once in a blue moon. When it really comes in handy is multiple dogs 3+coming in at once. my buddy and I have a couple spots where almost every time we go there during a tournament we have 3+ coming in. His uncle just called that spot this year since we aren't in the tourny and had 7 coming at once...he killed 3or 4 of them by himself with his AR....

In the end I don't feel handicapped by a bolt gun...if anything it makes me settle in more on running shots and not just start ripping them off.