AR vs Bolt Action for Coyotes?

Do you want semi auto capabilities, or do you want to rack a bolt between shots? Bolt will likely be lighter, ar more and faster rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeahkkyle

FNG
Other than weight I don’t see any advantage to a bolt gun. I don’t believe the accuracy claim either and don’t get why that’s always people’s go to defense. My ar10 and ar15 Valkyrie are both sub moa shooters when I do my part
My AR is lighter than my bolt gun. I think the accuracy is true in some part. I've had far more sub 1/2 moa bolt guns than sub moa ARs. Maybe its more of a mind set change in I have 9 more follow up rounds with the AR vs having to rack another round with a bolt gun.

TheGDog

WKR
I'm a bolt guy all the way. I find AR's awkward and clunky to carry around.
Just not my thing.
Another thing there, for me, is that with having to have the funky Thorsden Stock on mine... I can't reach the fire/safe switch without removing my hand from it's ready and gripped position on the stock. And the whole point is to be able to do that without the need for any visible movement that game animal can perceive.

As such... when I'm on calling sits with the AR... I have to sit with the safety off, for that reason. As the most efficient way for me to work the safety is to just use the other hand. And that's too cumbersome to be fussing with when you're working both a hand-call and or remote potentially in that other hand as well.

Whereas with my bolt guns I can remain on safety and fairly effortlessly flick it over to fire relatively quietly moments before needed as well.

I'm torn too because I recently upgraded that AR's trigger because this Bushmaster XCQB model had a DANG heavy standard trigger pull weight, I thought at least. I love how the drop-in straight-edged trigger feels so light. And it doesn't "break"... it like sorta "falls over onto the other side of the break" with soo little resistance now!

But.. not as comfortable for me to carry it since the sling is just a simple nylon strap. And because it's the Thorsden stock.. it's buttblate being in the shape of a "T" rather than like the end of a triangle... it can sometimes want to catch in concealment clothing a lil bit here and there. Also kinda likes to catch on brush when you're trying to creep thru thicker spots in the field. So it'll end up pulling lil bratches a bit, disrupted the bushes visually making that motion that might catch their eye. whereas same situation with the bolt gun, creep around thick brush or junipers, and seldom have to worry about it wanting to "grab" anything.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Another thing there, for me, is that with having to have the funky Thorsden Stock on mine... I can't reach the fire/safe switch without removing my hand from it's ready and gripped position on the stock. And the whole point is to be able to do that without the need for any visible movement that game animal can perceive.

As such... when I'm on calling sits with the AR... I have to sit with the safety off, for that reason. As the most efficient way for me to work the safety is to just use the other hand. And that's too cumbersome to be fussing with when you're working both a hand-call and or remote potentially in that other hand as well.

Whereas with my bolt guns I can remain on safety and fairly effortlessly flick it over to fire relatively quietly moments before needed as well.

I'm torn too because I recently upgraded that AR's trigger because this Bushmaster XCQB model had a DANG heavy standard trigger pull weight, I thought at least. I love how the drop-in straight-edged trigger feels so light. And it doesn't "break"... it like sorta "falls over onto the other side of the break" with soo little resistance now!

But.. not as comfortable for me to carry it since the sling is just a simple nylon strap. And because it's the Thorsden stock.. it's buttblate being in the shape of a "T" rather than like the end of a triangle... it can sometimes want to catch in concealment clothing a lil bit here and there. Also kinda likes to catch on brush when you're trying to creep thru thicker spots in the field. So it'll end up pulling lil bratches a bit, disrupted the bushes visually making that motion that might catch their eye. whereas same situation with the bolt gun, creep around thick brush or junipers, and seldom have to worry about it wanting to "grab" anything.

Try an ambi safety. I struggled with the same thing. When I’m sitting I have a hard time reaching the safety with my thumb. But with an ambi I can use my trigger finger and it’s quick and I don’t have to move my hands.

I’m a bolt guy. I prefer them over the AR (I have both.). I have a 5.56/.223 AR and a .243 bolt gun. My Bolt gun is more accurate, lighter and quieter overall.

I like that I can load a round when I get to the calling stand quietly and unload compared to the noise associated with loading the AR.

After getting a suppressor I like bolt guns
Even more. The ARs sure get dirty suppressed.

As far as shooting multiple coyotes with a bolt gun. I’ve done it quite a bit. Not a big deal in my opinion.

Pic of a triple from the other day and where they all fell.

Attachments

• EA8D1CE0-908A-453C-8F74-6DB024E96FEC.jpeg
    EA8D1CE0-908A-453C-8F74-6DB024E96FEC.jpeg
    705 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Spike elk

WKR
Both. Time of year, weather, or just what ever I feel like shooting at the time are what I take with me. Last double I had was with a bolt although the pair came in minutes apart.

Smid

WKR
My AR is lighter than my bolt gun. I think the accuracy is true in some part. I've had far more sub 1/2 moa bolt guns than sub moa ARs. Maybe its more of a mind set change in I have 9 more follow up rounds with the AR vs having to rack another round with a bolt gun.

That’s a fair point. I do think it’s substantially more expensive to guarantee a sub moa shooter for an AR. An $800 tikka probably is going to shoot better than an $800 off the shelf AR but I believer parts and components on a rifle degrade the accuracy more than the type of rifle it is

Try an ambi safety. I struggled with the same thing. When I’m sitting I have a hard time reaching the safety with my thumb. But with an ambi I can use my trigger finger and it’s quick and I don’t have to move my hands.

Agree, I use an ambi short throw and don’t have to take my hand off at all and I got little hands lol

I shoot both, I’ll bounce back and forth from day to day not really a preference towards either. No thermal hunting where I’m at though.

Been using a new AR in .223. Lighter than my 243 and I do love that I don't need to cycle the bolt for another shot.

wyo

Lil-Rokslider
I much prefer shooting a bolt action but I'm solidly in the AR camp when it comes to predator control. I just feel better knowing I can keep pressing send until those SOB's fall down or run out of sight.

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
A good ar is hard to beat but I've had dirty ones not function in crunch times. I know there are some very accurate Ar's but they don't seem as fool proof as a bolt gun. If I'm going to kill something that really needs to die I'd pack my bolt gun.

Flashlight Guy

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer to coyote hunt with a light weight bolt action .223, 22-250, or .243 rifle while using a variable zoom scope. Especially if the conditions are less than ideal. Like if its really cold, windy, or snowing. I like simple when to comes to that scenario. Having a quality scope though and starting on the lowest zoom you can (incase they surprise you up close) is the most important way to bag coyotes.

I will say my next coyote build is going to be an .223 AR 18" Proof CF with an AGM LRF thermal. I also plan on having an ARCA rail to attach it to and this should be a solid combo on coyotes.

mcseal2

WKR
I use both depending on conditions. I've taken multiple coyotes on a set with both, sometimes with all but the first at a dead run. The bolt is slower to work but the more powerful round usually drops the coyote right away. Sometimes with the AR I have to shoot twice at the same coyote to make sure they are down before moving to another. Both have pros and cons.

One of my main pair is a bolt 243 with a 4-16x Huskemaw for more open country, wind, or when I have other hunters with me set up for the close shots. I like how flat and fast it shoots so there is less worry about range or wind inside 300 yards.

The other is an AR set up with a 3-12x Huskemaw and a 45 degree red dot sight. It gets the most use. I like leaving the scope on 6x and using the red dot for close shots most sets. If one hangs up out there a ways it's less movement than when I wanted to turn up the magnification, less chance of being spotted. If one hangs up quite a ways out I can dial up the turret and magnification. I shoot a 73gr bullet with a .400 BC that does pretty well on longer shots if I have time to dial and set it up. Since going up in bullet weight I have less coyotes that spin or carry on after the shot at any range. My old ammo was some reman stuff that shot great, but only pushed a 55gr V max at 2950fps from my 20" barrel.

I take both when I go hunting. The 243 is always ready in the vehicle or UTV if I jump one between spots. It shoots much flatter so I don't have to think as much about range. If I jump one and it stops to look back I can just shoot most times.

The AR can stay in my Eberlestock scabbard for when I get out to walk that way. I shoot heavy bullets in it and they drop quicker but I like how hard they hit. I hate that Hornady quit making the Superformance 73gr ELD-M ammo, my rifle loves that stuff. I'll be experimenting again once my last few boxes are gone and getting a new turret tape made.

TheGDog

WKR
The other is an AR set up with a 3-12x Huskemaw and a 45 degree red dot sight. It gets the most use. I like leaving the scope on 6x and using the red dot for close shots most sets. If one hangs up out there a ways it's less movement than when I wanted to turn up the magnification, less chance of being spotted. If one hangs up quite a ways out I can dial up the turret and magnification.

Ooh! That sounds slick, having that 45 deg red-dot! That'd damn near make it perfect paired up with like a 4-12x, 4-14x, 4-16x

TheGDog

WKR
In all seriousness, thanks for this tip! I'll look into that. As I'd much rather have it locked on safety up until the last moment needed. You never know what the hell can happen out in the field. Slip and falls happen at the most inopportune times.

Alchemy

WKR
AR’s have merit for sure. Accuracy and follow ups, but I just hate to carry them, hate putting them in a gun rack or in the vehicle, they are loud, and just cumbersome.
For 90% of hunters (me included) the guys that maybe go call 5-15 days a year, a simple bolt gun and quality 3-9ish power scope is sufficient.

For the other 10%of guys that hunt a lot and know what specifics they want, like a guy in North Dakota with a 10 lb 22 creedmoor taking that 600 yd shot on a coyote that hangs up, or the guy in Arizona who only shoots an AR with an eotech who 90% of his kills are 75 yards and in.

I’m not a predator expert AT ALL but have been doing it a while each winter and for me a simple bolt gun fits me. In my area my shots are typically 50-300 yards and I would say with confidence that covers most hunters

TundraDude97

Lil-Rokslider
Current night gun setup is a bolt 22-250 but currently building a 6 arc in a ar-15 platform for my new night gun.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Ugly Dog

FNG
I’m a bolt action guy all the way, for me. 22-250 Ackley with a 75 grain Hornady is pretty potent sleeper for coyotes

Bagpipe

FNG
I have always shot a bolt gun better. Maybe a personal thing. I do have a couple ARs that shoot very well with factory ammo. I go back and forth and am currently shooting an AR this winter. That being said, I really like the report when shooting a bolt gun suppressed. Pretty sure past a couple hundred yards that it doesn't make any difference to the second coyote.