AR and SBR Recommendations

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
Sbr's really are not that cool.
Waste of effort imo
To each his own. I don’t find the process difficult. Maybe like an hour of my time and then just waiting. But I can certainly understand why people just keep braces and roll like that

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
But then you have an Sbr to deal with..
Remembering your paperwork when you go anywhere. Carbine length gas system, most likely less accurate rifle.
Etc etc.
Everyone thinks they are John Wick these days.
You really think your going to know the difference in your very first gun fight inside your house with you family.
Especially the difference between a brace and a stock?
None of those things are particularly difficult to deal with though? Like, oh no, paperwork and making sure a gun works correctly. If someone can tie shoes I think it shouldn’t be a problem.

Sometimes guns are just fun.

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
If you actually want short get a folding or AK pistol.
And yes paper work is extremely easy to forget.
I have a shorty galil to scratch that ak itch and have literally never forgotten paperwork when taking it out (or the 300bo or shorty ar).

I both agree that sbrs are overrated and disagree that they are logistically difficult at all really. Just have a photo on your phone, and if you’re insanely paranoid about atf agents jumping out of the bushes and not accepting a digital copy (which is all you get from atf on an eform tax stamp anyway) just print off a tiny version, laminate it with packing tape and put it in the grip of the SBR

If you travel between random states a lot yeah I wouldn’t.

Sbr's really are not that cool.
Waste of effort imo
Some people (me) don’t like our hearing.

But really pistol/sbr doesn’t make a difference to me since I have both. Braces weren’t as good when I went an sbr route. If you don’t have or intend to run a suppressor on your HD gun I would agree 16” is simpler.

TxLite

WKR
I’ve been a huge fan of my 11.85” PWS sbr for a dedicated suppressed rifle. My BCM is nice as well, but with a high back pressure suppressor it gasses me out pretty bad.

I think the paper work is a real and actual inconvenience. And stupid.

And I just don't think everyone is gonna be all John Wick there first engagement.
With an efile they don’t even give you a physical copy of your stamp. If an agent had an issue with my digital copy on my phone I’d want them to get me the physical copy I paid for to me.

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
You have to do this with a suppressor too. It’s entirely a non issue. Set up a file on google drive, download the app to your phone, put copies of your trust and stamps, then save them for offline use. Boom. Done.
Yep exactly. I also have paper copies in the off chance it’s needed. It really, really is a non-issue.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The majority of first timers are not trained and have not taken fire or taken human life. They are gonna ball up and freeze. They could be holding an SBR or a rolling pin and they probably wouldn't know the difference.

Who said anything about that?

TxLite

WKR
Is Google secure in any way?
What exactly are you concerned about? Meal team 6 finding out you have an NFA item? Nobody is scouring google docs to find nfa items. It’s 100x easier for them to just illegally build an sbr than it is for them to hack google docs, come to your house and take it. The govt already knows who has what. It’s a non issue.

If you want to leave the foil hat on you can scan the f1/f4 and save it on your phone? Basic problem solving. There is no rule that I’ve ever seen that says you must have a physical copy.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus if shorter is always better why isn't you tikka an 10.5 sbr?

Required terminal velocity for the distances I shoot. I use a 12.5” barreled 6.5cm frequently.
I have hunted killed with barrels from 5.75” to 36”- a lot with 10.3-12.5” barrels. I will take the shortest barrel that reaches my required range with enough velocity for proper bullet upset.

I still do not understand what this has to do with a short barreled AR?

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
Damn, I didn't realize I was being the next John wick for wanting to have a SBR just to have, nor realized it would be turned into a CBR weapon either. Never realized one had to have a legitimate reason to own something. Holy dumpster fire.
Can’t have fun man. We hate guns here