Apple announced satellite comm texting - no more in reach???

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I agree. Even my InReach I only turned on once a day to send an "I'm OK" message and get weather. Other than that I want to be left alone. Sadly, I can see a lot of places being ruined where previously there was no cell coverage.

I'm waiting for Starlink on my phone. That will kill off all these other services. Probably will kill off many mobile carriers.
Nope...They sat companies have signed contracts with the carriers. For the next decade IIRC, at least, if you want starlink on your phone you will have to use TMobile.

I just watched the video, coming in the fall with iOS 18, you will have the ability to communicate through text with imessage or SMS via satellite. This will be above and beyond just the SOS feature they have now and will allow day to day comms with family, friends and other hunters. Once tested and confirmed working, this could be the beginning of the end of Garmin and Zoleo type devices. Not sure what satellites apple uses, also assume there will be a fee to use this service.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not too sure if this will fully replace a satcom. Those things are intended to be secured to a reachable place like your shoulder strap so that a simple press of a physical button will activate it. They also seem to be more robust than a phone. Maybe phone manufacturers will come out with a small remote to replace that.

It will take years of proven reliability until my inreach stays home. I’d guess minimum 5-10 years before I’m going phone only. Safety plans for inreach are a whopping $10/mo. Pretty negligible considering the $$$$ people throw at hunting trips and gear.

I’ve been looking forward to the day I can work from my tent during weather days and down time. Sounds like a great way to double the number of trips I’ll be able to do each year! There is still on OFF button if you want to unplug from the world. Give it a try.

I found this true with satellite emergency beacons on my offshore boat.
Setting it off was a major delay because so many units were being accidentally set off , the USCG would have to send a message to anyone in the general vicinity to check the situation before they would respond

My question is how far away can a inreach connect with the phone
Example can I put it outside the cabin and pair when inside
It will work as far as your blue tooth connection to the phone works, i have left it 20 ft or so and it stayed hooked up.

OXN939

WKR
It will take years of proven reliability until my inreach stays home. I’d guess minimum 5-10 years before I’m going phone only.

I'd agree with this. Inreaches, as mentioned, use the Iridium satellite network, which is the gold standard for SATCOM. The physical antenna on an Inreach is also more capable than anything in an IPhone, which would become especially important under marginal conditions.