Apple announced satellite comm texting - no more in reach???

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Apple announced some cool news today about satellite texting coming soon to iPhones. Should be interesting, could be a big game changer.

"With iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 15, or iPhone 15 Pro, you can use Emergency SOS via satellite to text emergency services when you're off the grid with no cellular and Wi-Fi coverage.

How Emergency SOS via satellite works​

Emergency SOS via satellite can help you connect with emergency services under exceptional circumstances when no other means of reaching emergency services are available. If you call or text emergency services and can't connect because you're somewhere with no cellular and Wi-Fi coverage, your iPhone tries to connect you via satellite.

To connect to a satellite, you need to be outside with a clear view of the sky and horizon. When you use a satellite connection, the experience is different than sending or receiving a message via cellular.

Learn more about connecting to a satellite with your iPhone

Emergency SOS via satellite is free for two years after the activation of an iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 15, or iPhone 15 Pro.

If your iPhone or Apple Watch detects a severe car crash or a hard fall and you're unresponsive, an automatic Crash Detection or Fall Detection notification to emergency services may be communicated by your iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 15, or iPhone 15 Pro using Emergency SOS via satellite if you're outside of cellular and Wi-Fi coverage.
"

OP
summs

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Didn't they announce this like 18-24 months ago?
They probably hinted at it, but now it's confirmed and going to be happening. They also announced making a car, but that never made it to fruition.

Mortar

FNG
Definitely a good backup to an In reach, for emergency situations. I’ll be keeping the inreach for day to day and weather!

Poser

WKR
I imagine that analogue satellite devices are near the end of their useful application, but they aren't irrelevant quite yet. I have no plans to upgrade my 5 year old InReach, but I don't foresee cancelling the service any time soon either. We were promised this technology, I believe, 2 years ago and it has yet to materialize nor have we seen the real world testing. I'm going to say we're 3 years out from a reliable network at a minimum and longer for practical communication. For example, I once sent a text to an InReach device to inform of Eddie Van Halen's death.

sounds like basically spot gen 1 capabilities right now, but i'm sure before too long it will actually hit 2024 in-reach capabilities.

CRJR45

WKR
My I15 has that , but it only contacts 911 . And only in an emergency , no way to contact anybody else .
I bought it and the Garmin for texting friends and the wife .

This isn't really new news, nor will it be replacing InReach anytime soon. People have been able to contact emergency services using SOS on your phone for years the only thing changing is the texting ability. You still would need an InReach for daily communication & tracking with your family if so desired. Still would need InReach to text back & forth with other members of your hunting party, still would need InReach to get your weather updates.

This evolution will likely continue and we will see all-in-one communication devices before too long. Hopefully someone figures out a solution to space junk and satellite overcrowding before everything is satellite dependent.

And that IPhone feature that detects crashes and hard falls could be a lifesaver. Hopefully it does some good. My only experience with it so far is false emergency calls....when a phone gets left on a car roof or bumper and then slides off in a bend and hits the road it sends a message to 911 and law, fire, and rescue get toned to the scene for phone recovery while the owner is long gone.