Aoudad

I'm hunting with a guy named Steve Jones. Back Country Hunts. He keeps telling me the meat is trash, and he leaves it on the mountain.
I'm grinding up this years Barbary sheep into breakfast sausage tomorrow. I ground last year's ewe up and we ate in bunch of things without noticing any off taste.

Last edited:
There's a long LRH thread on cooking aoudad, and all of it seems to hinge on ageing/marinating. I think if you slice it off the animal and throw it on the grill that evening it'll be rough, but by all accounts if you treat it right it's delicious. Got a hunt planned for Oct and I'm going to bring as much back as I can.

Last edited:
FLAK, who have you hunted with there? I am looking at an option outside of Marfa for early 2022. PM me if you'd prefer.
Had a hunt with them last year and would not recommend them. You can PM me for some info if you are still considering it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What happened on your hunt? Booked with them, now a little worried. PM me if you can.

I got a nice ram in between Alpine & Ghost Town Terlingua. The outfitter leases the ranch on occasion. Definitely need a guide, as you need to know what you're looking for through glass. I glass Elk, Deer, lope. These sheep are hard to spot, and I glassed right over them more than once.

Then you're stalking in on your hands & knees through cactus. I'm still pulling thorns out of my a$$. We got in real close, just because it happened like that. -200 yards = dead ram. I wanted a 400 yard shot, but we did so well stalking in, the sheep walked right towards us; and I took the shot sub 200 yards.

It was a once in a lifetime hunt for me.

I got a nice ram in between Alpine & Ghost Town Terlingua. The outfitter leases the ranch on occasion. Definitely need a guide, as you need to know what you're looking for through glass. I glass Elk, Deer, lope. These sheep are hard to spot, and I glassed right over them more than once.

Then you're stalking in on your hands & knees through cactus. I'm still pulling thorns out of my a$$. We got in real close, just because it happened like that. -200 yards = dead ram. I wanted a 400 yard shot, but we did so well stalking in, the sheep walked right towards us; and I took the shot sub 200 yards.

It was a once in a lifetime hunt for me.

Did you use huntaoudad.com, I booked with them, but have seen some comments that make me nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back