Anyone wish they didn’t fletch their own arrows?

Last year I had my local archery shop put together some arrows for me (Easton Axis 5mm with AAE Max vanes.) After about a year of shooting I’ve ended up damaging about 1/2 of the fletchings.

I’m thinking about getting a jig and doing it myself but wondering if anyone regrets going that route? The initial set up to DIY would be similar to just getting the damaged ones fixed.

They did put the shafts in a jig to bend them to see where the best place to put the vanes would be but that is over my head and I’m wondering how necessary it would be if I did go the diy route. Any input is appreciated!

ATL

FNG
Fletching yourself is the way to go. Freedom to test different vanes and configurations. Repairs are timely made. I damaged the fletching on an arrow shooting this afternoon after work. Tonight after dinner it took me less than 10 minutes to re-fletch. The arrow is ready to shoot tomorrow.

I don't particularly enjoy the task of fletching, but being able to do it at home on my own schedule sure beats having to make a trip to a bow shop to get damaged vanes replaced. You can use the undamaged vanes as a guide to help get the replacement vane aligned/spaced properly.

OP
A
Well that pretty much settles it then, I’ll order the stuff this week. It’ll be a fun learning experience if nothing else.

nphunter

WKR
It sucks to fletch. Rewarding but sucks while doing it. I just ordered some ez vanes from Australia and hope they work awesome. I shoot a lot and my targets get worn out and I ruin a bunch of fletching shooting through them.

Quik fletch wraps are awesome also, I shot them for years and honestly don’t know why I stopped. They work awesome and you can reflect in less than 5 minutes.

OP
A
It sucks to fletch. Rewarding but sucks while doing it. I just ordered some ez vanes from Australia and hope they work awesome. I shoot a lot and my targets get worn out and I ruin a bunch of fletching shooting through them.

Quik fletch wraps are awesome also, I shot them for years and honestly don’t know why I stopped. They work awesome and you can reflect in less than 5 minutes.
I did look and think I’ll go the arrow wrap route as well. Just seems easier when it eventually comes time to remove the old vanes and put the new ones on.

LJH

FNG
I just started fletching my own arrows a few months ago and have zero regrets.

rclouse79

WKR
I have used the AZ EZ fletch and have been happy with the results for my purposes. Super easy.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely don’t regret it. For a compound it was super easy for me. I was only doing one configuration, 3 fletch blazer vanes with lots of helical. So, I got a AZ EZ Fletch that works great. At the time I got it, I think it was only $40. Seems like they retail for $65 now.

At that price, if you want a simple easy tool, it’s still probably the way to go. If you plan to tinker with 4 fletch, longer vanes, feathers, straight offsets, etc, then the Bitzenburger for $100 may be a better option.

I definitely don’t regret having the ability to do the fletching myself.

I’m in the same boat with arrow saws right now. I want to cut my own, but the local shop only charges $1 to cut an arrow (and half the time they won’t charge me). So I’d have to cut a couple hundred arrows before it really paid for itself.

LostArra

WKR
I have always lived by the theory that you don’t pay someone to do something that you can easily do yourself.
My father (passed in 2004) used to constantly repeat this theory but added a consequence:

" you don't pay someone to do something you can do yourself or some day you will be paying someone to wipe your a**"

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
I actually enjoy fletching my own arrows. I do it in the evening with tv on in the background. I love being able to test different setups and choose exactly what vanes I want to use, colors, and orientation.

There are several different ways that are suggested on how to determine indicator vane location. I have group tuned bareshafts, floated them in the bathtub, and shot them through paper before fletching in the past. I would still end up with around 2-4 arrows that didn't behave the same as the others. Tim Gillingham has a video where he shoots 2 dozen arrows through paper as bareshafts, marks them, and then fletches. Afterwards he shot them all through paper again and a ton of them made different tears from each other.

These days I just fletch new arrows with all the same color fletchings and then nock tune them afterwards. Instead of an off color vane to show orientation, I number my arrows and just write the number on the vane that ends up being the vane I want oriented up. Between having the number to look for and most nocks having a tab on one side, I have no trouble quickly identifying how to orient the arrows on the string.

If you really want to have an indicator vane, just take the bareshafts down to the shop and have them use their spine indicator (IMO the most accurate method) and mark all the arrows for you, then take them home and fletch them up.

I prefer using Q2i vanes, zero primer needed. Just clean the shafts with 91% alcohol and start gluing.

I personally enjoy it put on a podcast and go to town. A lot of archery shops have a kid in the back just fletching dozens of arrows. We all know for the most part he will not take the time and care that you would fletching your own.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I prefer using Q2i vanes, zero primer needed. Just clean the shafts with 91% alcohol and start gluing.
I just wipe the shafts with a clean dry cloth and glue my vanes on, regardless what vanes I use. If they take more than that to stick, I don't use those types of vanes.

dlee56

WKR
Do it yourself. It’ll turn out better (if you’re not a brute) and it’ll cost way less. I do all my bow work myself now, saves a ton of money. Looking back the bow shops make things sound hard and complex but all this stuff (fletching, serving, tuning, etc.) is super easy if you just spend 10 min on YouTube.