Anyone wear just a merino sock?

Churro

FNG
I was getting blisters on long hikes with a full pack and would have to tape up my toes or ankles. Then I started wearing Injinji socks with the individual toes. They’re very thin so I put a wool sock over them but never had an issue with blisters or boots being too tight ever since. I’ll never hike without them

JD Jones

WKR
Mid wt cushion no liner works for me. My wife does wear liners. Works for her but I never got behind it personally. Feet and sleep are two areas I do not skimp on. Play around and find a system that works best for your feet

That's not normal, more than likely those socks had some sort of chemical on them that your feet reacted to. The bottoms of our feet are like sponges for soaking stuff up. Merino doesn't do that unless you're allergic to it somehow which a thin layer in between isn't going to do anything to prevent either.
Idk, when i used to wear Darn Tough i had the same sort of thing happen. In fact, my big toe would feel rubbed raw and burny for a few days after. Almost like the merino they use is too scratchy or abrasive. Or perhaps it’s just an odd pair or batch they get once in awhile?

Either way, i switched to FL socks and problem solved.

Drenalin

WKR
I can remember being advised in boot camp to wear a pair of dress socks under our cotton boot socks to avoid getting blisters during a hump. My feet were in terrible shape after just a few miles. I feel certain looking back that the drill instructor knew what would happen and he offered that advice only for his own sadistic amusement.

chindits

WKR
No liner.

Many a troop road march and patrol in GI socks because they’re free and that’s all they know. Many an indig wear no socks and poor fitting issued boots because we make them think their sandals and Chinese sneakers aren’t fight’n shoes. Of course with the right sunglasses it matters not.

You will manage on what you believe and what you condition for.

Cheap Lorpen light/mid weight hikers normally, cold hunts darn toughs or a pair of alpaca I’ve had for years but they are hot no matter how cold!

MojaveJim

FNG
I think it depends on the mileage. When I'm going to do some serious mileage it's the Injinji socks with the individual toes as a liner & darn tough mid weight over them. Did a 48hr Adventure Race a couple years ago and used that set-up with 2 extra pairs of each. Before the race I did a lot of testing with & without liners. Best to try it for yourself with your boot & insole combo.

way late to this party.... but yes I do only wear one sock. I buy the merino blend trail socks at Costco. The only other one I have used is Smartwool and literally there was no difference except twice the cost.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing

Lots of comments here about sweaty feet and blisters. Blister Shield will significantly curtail both. This product has an antiperspirant, along with properties that decreases friction. I shake a little powder into my socks at the beginning of the day. At the end of the day my feet are still dry. On really demanding hunts (10-12 day backpack) I will only bring a single pair of Darn Tough socks, apply a single strip of Leukotape on my heels and powder my feet everyday. I have NEVER had a blister during the last eight years.
Thanks, I'm going to try this

Luked

WKR
I usually wear a thin poly sock liner and a merino sock. I have a pair of boots that are just a bit too snug when I do this so I have considered just wearing the merino sock. Anyone just wear a merino sock with good results?
I wear the Darn Tough socks and have for years. We them every day.
Never worn a liner and never had any issues with blisters