Anyone wear just a merino sock?

Just one merino sock for me. I have quite a few pair of Simms lightweight ones and those seem to work great for everyday wear in the winter and all of hunting season.

Hootybob

FNG
So is more better? After looking into the brands of socks that you guys are wearing, it looks like Darn Tough socks have nearly 80% merino/wool, to where the other brands have 60% and below. So is more merino/wool in a sock better than a sock that contains less or does it matter as much?

JRS3

FNG
This is why I have always worn a liner. I grew up stand hunting in WI so in the winter I would wear a liner on the walk to my stand then put on a wool sock in an attempt to keep my feet as dry as possible to stay warm. And wool was not that comfy against my skin. When I moved west I just kept wearing the liner but moved to merino wool. I was always nervous the wool would not be as kind to my feet against my skin. But in warm weather I started to question if with better merion did I need the liner.
I agree with all of the above. I have worn liners under my socks for years and feel the difference. With out the liners, my feet are wet at the end of the day, but not when I wear the liners. Another benefit I have found wearing the liners, is that my legs/calves don’t itch near as much. I wear the liners in both hot and cold temps with snake boots to various hunting boots.

KMSbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Switched to just one merino sock last year after wearing synthetic liners for 20+ years. No blisters, feet feel better, boots fit better, no “slipping” between inner and outer sock. I tried it thinking “this will never work” but it’s been perfect. I wear the Lorpen lightweight merino hiking sock.

HuntNaked

FNG
I typically just wear a single merino sock. Usually darn tough or first lite. I definitely prefer darn tough. This works for me year round in CA and on most of my out of state hunts into fall. In low temps ill bump up to a thick wool sock.

Like a lot of people I never could make a liner sock work. I remember the backpacking books from when I was a kid (stuff in the library written in the 90s and before) that all said you need a liner system. Always hated it. For what it's worth, though, I have had a lot more success with drier, happier feet since switching from merino to synthetic socks.

OP
MuleyFever
Early season are you guys wearing the lightweight or ultra lightweight? Which weight is closer to a normal Hanes daily wear cotton sock?

Buy a bunch and see what works

I do wear a little bit lighter but still like the cushion (early season). Then heavier as season wears on.

Some Darn have thin on top and still cushion on bottom (for light).

Don’t forget boot breathability plays into socks.

If I kno I’m hiking heavy, and socks will get sweaty anyways, it’s more about cushion anyways, at least to me.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
I bought 3 pair of 70% Merino Wool socks on Ebay made by Mountain Pass. USA made socks. Love them.

madhouse

FNG
I only wear merino wool socks 2 pair for 10 days. My feet may be soaked in the Mountains and never had a problem.

mcseal2

WKR
I wear Darn Tough socks every day anymore. Thinner ones in the summer, thicker in the winter. I like the full cushion bottoms and a thicker upper for colder temps, the same bottom with a thinner upper for warmer temps. I get them in different colors so they are easy to tell apart.

fwafwow

WKR
I usually wear a thin poly sock liner and a merino sock. I have a pair of boots that are just a bit too snug when I do this so I have considered just wearing the merino sock. Anyone just wear a merino sock with good results?
I saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers perform an encore in just socks, but I doubt they were merino. I started to create a meme, but I figured the ban hammer would come out.

Lots of comments here about sweaty feet and blisters. Blister Shield will significantly curtail both. This product has an antiperspirant, along with properties that decreases friction. I shake a little powder into my socks at the beginning of the day. At the end of the day my feet are still dry. On really demanding hunts (10-12 day backpack) I will only bring a single pair of Darn Tough socks, apply a single strip of Leukotape on my heels and powder my feet everyday. I have NEVER had a blister during the last eight years.