Anyone use their tripod as a shooting rest?

ChrisAU

WKR
I have my light-ish glassing setup now ready to shoot off of.

This is a Slik 633 with the big plate removed so it weighs 1 lb 15 oz and will get much taller than I need. In the pic I have a 4.7 oz Spartan Davros head direct threaded to the tripod. I now have it on an Outdoorsmans QD plate, and an Outdoorsmans Panner/QD combo on the tripod. I can then use the Outdoorsmans QD system to attach the Davros head or my Outdoorsmans pistol grip for my small spotter or Outdoorsmans bino adapter.

84358D3C-C452-4B82-98CD-7A5B3395EF01.jpeg

I really like the Triclawps!! I also use it to hold my binos for glassing off of the tripod.

Blaw

WKR
if you have the tikka t3x stock its simple

I used the 2nd screw they have on there for the forend that can change out...its a 10-32 or 8-32 cant remember.
just replace the bottom screw of your base plate with it and BAM!

slik sprint mini II tripod with slik sbh-100qd head directly mounted to tripod, no middle extension
1lb 9oz

20201111_151804[1].jpg

20201111_151849[1].jpg20201111_152010[1].jpg

Blaw

WKR
I have my light-ish glassing setup now ready to shoot off of.

This is a Slik 633 with the big plate removed so it weighs 1 lb 15 oz and will get much taller than I need. In the pic I have a 4.7 oz Spartan Davros head direct threaded to the tripod. I now have it on an Outdoorsmans QD plate, and an Outdoorsmans Panner/QD combo on the tripod. I can then use the Outdoorsmans QD system to attach the Davros head or my Outdoorsmans pistol grip for my small spotter or Outdoorsmans bino adapter.

View attachment 230850
random question, do you find you actually use the SOP cartridge holder on your hunting rifle? I acquired one with a recent chassis purchase and have debated if I should keep it.

Wow - I just posted about this setup in another thread. I use a Manfrotto RC2 head that accepts 200PL plates. I buy the knockoff plates cheap on Amazon and mount them on everything that goes on the tripod(s) - spotters, binds, cameras, long lenses, etc. I have a v-yoke mounted to one to use as a shooting rest..

bsnedeker

WKR
if you have the tikka t3x stock its simple

I used the 2nd screw they have on there for the forend that can change out...its a 10-32 or 8-32 cant remember.
just replace the bottom screw of your base plate with it and BAM!

slik sprint mini II tripod with slik sbh-100qd head directly mounted to tripod, no middle extension
1lb 9oz

View attachment 231523

View attachment 231524View attachment 231525
Very nice!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a VA-5 head on a Bog CLD-3. I have a simple Bog V rest on a Sirui TY-70A quick release plate, so that when I'm ready for a stalk/shot, I can switch out from my binos or spotter faster than it takes to say so.

When I want to go even lighter, I swap out the VA-5 with an RRS BPC-16

ChrisAU

WKR
random question, do you find you actually use the SOP cartridge holder on your hunting rifle? I acquired one with a recent chassis purchase and have debated if I should keep it.
I haven’t rifle hunted yet this year but I feel it can be a useful addition. Not sure how much I’ll use it yet. It’s about to go through a 3 month whitetail season so we’ll see.

skierhs

WKR
Man - that's a helluva throw. ;-)
Not really with the right setup. I’m using a RRS 24l tripod/anvil-30 and I feel comfortable with much farther shots off that tripod. It’s all about practice and knowing your gear and the RRS makes things easier.

Dillon L

FNG
I make various arca and outdoorsmans style adapters for shooting off of tripods. It keeps the weight down vs saddle type options. Some stocks they bolt right on, some require easy Tee nut installs.

View attachment 231605View attachment 231606View attachment 231607View attachment 231608
So you’re saying if a guy wanted a rail for an atlas quick detach and an outdoorsman pan head that’s something you make? Are you still making these by any chance? Price?

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ya I have a ODM + pic rail. I run a quick detach for an atlas bipod on a pic rail. I run the arca style but it’s the same deal. It’s not on my website yet. But I sell them over PayPal!

Dillon L

FNG
Ya I have a ODM + pic rail. I run a quick detach for an atlas bipod on a pic rail. I run the arca style but it’s the same deal. It’s not on my website yet. But I sell them over PayPal!
Excuse my ignorance maybe but what is your website or how could I go about ordering an outdoorsmans and pic rail?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I put a Spartan Precision Gunsmith adapter in my stock. It works well enough, I'm not impressed with the Davrose head though, and the small ball head on my Sirui tripod works better, so instead of fooling with two heads I would rather have an Arca plate.

I think the lightest option is to mount an Arca Swiss plate to your rifle. The Spartan Gunsmith Adapter is very clean if you don't expect to use it much and just want the option.

A Gunsmith Adapter with an Arca plate could be a nice compromise, and I may try and fabricate something along those lines at some point.