Anyone else ever get shingles?

jimh406

WKR
Where you have it makes a big difference in how it feels. However, it hurts either way. The first time I had it on my jaw line. The last time I had it on my ocular nerve which hurt more and inspired my wife to get the vaccine.

The newer vaccine is is high 90s in effectiveness. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/public/shingrix/index.html. I've been vaccinated as well now.

It's recommended for those over 50, but I got shingles the first time in my mid 20s. So assuming your Dr is ok with it I don't think I'd wait until 50 unless you are already over 50.

I'm not a Dr, btw, but I have had shingles twice. The old wives tale was that you could only get it once. I proved that wrong.

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
If you never took free advice before.
Take this as gospel.
Ask your doctor for medication to prevent long term nerve issues. A medication like Lyrica.
I am a pharmacist and a I had shingles. Trust me on this.

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
If you think shingles hurt, try racking yourself pole-vaulting. I don't think there any more unbearable pain than that. I'd rather have shingles and a toothache at the same time. That happened over 20 years ago tooo. Stomach still knots up when thinking about it. I have two kids so my theory was wrong.

You can get it multiple times, getting it on your head/face is a common location. If you get it in your eye(s), it can blind you. my dad got it a while ago, he was squarely in the no-fun zone. Get the vax, some have a reaction to it, but its still way better than getting shingles.

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
Had shingles on my forehead in high school, pretty terrible experience. Not sure what they can do about it today since I haven't had it since. Lasted over a week at the time. I have a pretty high pain tolerance having plenty of tattoos and wrestling in college, but it's a different kind of pain.

CDS8034

FNG
Had it in my mid twenties. Wasn’t pleasant. If I remember right it lasted another 7-10 days after I was seen by the dr.

OP
G

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Well I’m on day 16 and it still hurts terrible. The antiviral’s and steroids are done and the nerve blocker isn’t working. I’m still hoping it starts to get better soon.
Just waiting it out now.

Mt Al

WKR
Day 16?!? Not good and hope you get over it soon.

I had it about 10 years ago on my chest and back. Went to my doctor who I've known forever and he said "This is caused by stress, and it's your boss" and he was right. Stress can wreck your immune system, just like sleep deprivation. Hurt pretty bad but my case was mild compared to others. I got the shot! Don't want that happening again.

jimh406

WKR
If you think shingles hurt, try racking yourself pole-vaulting. I don't think there any more unbearable pain than that. I'd rather have shingles and a toothache at the same time. That happened over 20 years ago tooo. Stomach still knots up when thinking about it. I have two kids so my theory was wrong.
The difference is the nerve pain is continuous for days, but I'm sure that hurt! :D

jimh406

WKR
Well I’m on day 16 and it still hurts terrible. The antiviral’s and steroids are done and the nerve blocker isn’t working. I’m still hoping it starts to get better soon.
Just waiting it out now.
Fwiw, pain pills or Bourbon helps, but don't do both!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just waiting it out now.
Like I said, mine lasted four weeks and I had a band of it starting right on my sternum, going across my right pec, under my right arm, and across my back to the backbone. If it had happened during September instead of July/August, it wouldn't have affected my elk hunting at all.

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
I had it on my head with a rash that ran down the left side of my nose across my eyelid back when I was 37. Crazy shooting pains that went all the way into my left ear. It sucked for about 1 week after taking the antivirals. The key was getting on the antivirals in the first 72 hours. After that the antivirals are not as effective. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe it's all super coincidental, but I swear I NEVER heard of anyone getting shingles under 60 before last summer. Now, I can list probably 10 people I know under 40 that got it this last year and have seen countless posts on forums recently about folks getting shingles. I know they don't really know what triggers it other than maybe stress, but it all seems wild that there's so many cases all of a sudden. Is there something happening lately this year that has triggered all of these cases or is it all just pure coincidence?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

OP
G

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Right now I’m trying to get into my primary care doctor and she’s all booked for the next few weeks. I just want something for the pain so I can sleep.
I am definitely going to be looking into the vaccine. I don’t want this again.

I just found out that the extreme pain in my side is from shingles. Anyone had it? Did you get over it quickly with the antivirals? Makes me second guess my “high pain tolerance”. I hope I get over it quickly.
It showed up the day after I got home from a week elk hunt in western Colorado.
Had it on my head, face and neck. It can pop out anywhere not just on your torso. It was miserable. Doc suggested the vaccine since you can get shingles more than once. Lasted about 3 weeks. NO FUN!

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone over 50 should get the Shingarix vaccine. It is safe and effective. The immunostimulant used (AS01) may cause some short term effects (injection site pain, aches) but it is MUCH better than getting shingles.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
Had it from the center of my back across my left side ribs to the center of my chest. I am a very pain tolerant guy and I had to ask for meds.

z987k

WKR
Maybe it's all super coincidental, but I swear I NEVER heard of anyone getting shingles under 60 before last summer. Now, I can list probably 10 people I know under 40 that got it this last year and have seen countless posts on forums recently about folks getting shingles. I know they don't really know what triggers it other than maybe stress, but it all seems wild that there's so many cases all of a sudden. Is there something happening lately this year that has triggered all of these cases or is it all just pure coincidence?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
It's more common than you think to get it in your 30s but Valtrex usually clears it right up.