Anyone else ever get shingles?

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I just found out that the extreme pain in my side is from shingles. Anyone had it? Did you get over it quickly with the antivirals? Makes me second guess my “high pain tolerance”. I hope I get over it quickly.
It showed up the day after I got home from a week elk hunt in western Colorado.

Kindo

WKR
Just had it a month or so ago at 37 yo. Didn’t show a rash until 3rd week. No fun but finally improved after starting antiviral. Presented as mechanical rib pain until the blisters finally showed. Glad it subsided prior to my elk hunt!

MattB

WKR
Never, but from what I heard from a relative is it was incredibly painful. Good luck with that.

For those 50+, there is a vaccine.

OP
G

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Just had it a month or so ago at 37 yo. Didn’t show a rash until 3rd week. No fun but finally improved after starting antiviral. Presented as mechanical rib pain until the blisters finally showed. Glad it subsided prior to my elk hunt!
I’m 37 also. The shooting pain from my back is the worst. Knowing it’s from the nervous system now, I feel terrible for anyone that deals with that daily.

AMartin

FNG
I had it at 24, on my right side and up through my hair. One of the more painful things I have had.

OP
G

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
It full on sucked, basically time and misery where the only cure, staying very active helped.. for those who have not had it... get the vaccine.
I’m definitely going to look into it. I guess you can get it more than once.
Did most get over it quickly with the antiviral medicine? The nerve blocker for the pain isn’t working.

wyosteve

WKR
I had it 8 our 9 years ago. I must have been lucky, a little pain and lasted about 7 days and good as new.

Jmort1754

WKR
Sorry I must have missed it. I skim through the site often.
No I was just saying to check it out, hell I make repeat threads daily.

SDHNTR

WKR
Had it on my face and forehead in my late 30’s. Close to eye and scary as that can get real serious. Happened right after I got back from a hunt too. Sleep deprived and resulting low immune system function probably. First dermatologist was a moron and said it was some form of contact dermatitis. Gave me some cortisone cream that did nothing. Went to another dermatologist a week later and it took him all of 30 seconds to accurately diagnose the shingles. Prescribed an antiviral and Lyrica for the pain and I felt like a new man within hours.

Holski

FNG
Got it at 24 years old and it sucked! The medicine did help I think cause it did slowly get better after I started the meds instead of continuing to grow.

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
Got it when I was 26 on my rt upper thigh area... That was terrible.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That was my thread a couple months ago. Mine took 4 weeks to subside and that was with the antivirals and prednisone. But I will tell you, as I told my wife last week when I came home from hunting after my back blew out on me, that the pain and discomfort from shingles was not even worth talking about compared to the pain I feel most days from my neck and lower back. I would take the shingles pain every day of the week over those.

ZDR

WKR
I had the shingles about 5 years ago when I was working in Asia. It was miserable. ive now completed the shingles vaccine shots and it was more painful than the shingles in some respects as I had a bad reaction to the second shot. It only lasted 12 hrs or so…hopefully the vaccine will prevent recurrence.

Q child

WKR
I have not, but my partner had it a couple years ago. She was really sick. That stuff is no joke man. Totally knocked her down. It lasted a while too. Seems like it was a few weeks. She got treatment, but it still lasted a while.
Good luck to you on your recovery. I'll be sending thoughts of health your way.

OP
G

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I always thought I had a high pain tolerance, but I guess not. I stuck a chainsaw in my knee last year, and this is worse.