Anyone come to a realization how much weight they could cut...

HighHunter1232

Lil-Rokslider
Really good thread. I typically haul some extra comfort items into the wilderness and set up a base camp for deer hunting. I’ve found that this same approach won’t work for me for elk in the same area - need to move through country to find the elk. The plan this year is to be as light as possible in order to hunt with camp on my back. I’m looking forward to the adventure.

fingers

FNG
I'm 5' 11" and was 186 last summer and 156 this morning. Just went to very low carb and do Keto about half time, probably more this spring. It's not that hard. Verify Ketones with blood test strips. Way way easier than trying to be low calorie. Screw that. Eat Fat etc.

Now the problem is I think my pack needs to go on a diet. When you only weight sub 160 a 40 lb pack feels h-e-a-vy.

Hoghead

WKR
Man you guys make me feel fat I'm 5'11" weigh 220. I lift 3 days a week in the morning and right now I'm hunting 3 also. I can never get a 6 pack but a 4. I sometimes think I carry to much muscle a lot in my legs. You have to feed muscle oxygen. When I'm playing on a pack trip I run or carry a 50 pound pack and lift 3 days a week as I have gotten older 43 I lift for reps to try to stay lean and not bulky. I feel my routine works good for me I did a 8 mile 4 day trip had the heaviest bag and was with guys 9 and 14 years younger than me. I was never being waited for but it's hard to beat father time. I'm not much for dieting if I get over 225 I will go to my pack trip routine and can usually get to 215 i na week or 2. When I'm 210 to 215 i have good endurance and energy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
It's entirely possible to be in the best shape of your life in your late 40s or 50s. 33 is still very young.

chindits

WKR
I’m not embracing this concept one bit. I’m 6’ and am starting to fall below 165 regularly as I age and lose lean mass. I was 184 at my peak in Iraq. I’ve had bad years where I don’t harvest and I’m coming out in the 150 range. Just ain’t healthy and hard to stay warm before sunup. I don’t workout to hunt, I just scout when I’m not working. I wish I gained some weight with age.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I normally lose about 5 lbs every few days in the woods when the Mountain House decides to evacuate my body all at once .

I weigh very little, so cutting pack weight is basically essential for me. It is easier for me to make more money than to gain weight, and it's been like that my whole life. What I found out over time, after reading too many UL backpacking guides is that if you shave grams here and there (cut down your toothbrush, carry less water, etc.) you can cut your pack weight for 3-season backpacking down to around 20lbs. Every ounce you cut is a little more know-how you gotta carry in your head, but that's also part of the fun.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I weigh very little, so cutting pack weight is basically essential for me. It is easier for me to make more money than to gain weight, and it's been like that my whole life. What I found out over time, after reading too many UL backpacking guides is that if you shave grams here and there (cut down your toothbrush, carry less water, etc.) you can cut your pack weight for 3-season backpacking down to around 20lbs. Every ounce you cut is a little more know-how you gotta carry in your head, but that's also part of the fun.
I think it was last year when I was hunting and my right hip was just really hurting . My kill kit was by far the heaviest thing in my pack. So I took all of the game bags out besides one ………
Well that day I downed an elk and my game bags were 3 miles from me 😂
I laughed all of the way back to the truck. I got lucky and a very nice outfitter saw I was hurting and he helped me out .
I decided to drop weight elsewhere