Anyone come to a realization how much weight they could cut...

By just cutting a little weight?

I've worked hard over the last two years and spent more money than I care to admint to get to get my pack weight down. I'm at 38 lbs base pack weight set for a multi day trip with stove and tipi tent. 25 lb base pack weight for a day hunt, always prepped for quick overnight under a tarp/bivy. Gear for temps down to 0 deg F. That's along with my chest rig (6.5 lbs) with Vortex Fury binos, Glock 20 (grizz country), and some misc items like a windchecker, fire starter, tags, etc. My rifle is sitting at 10 lbs with scope, plus suppressor. (I realize my rifle is HEAVY compared to what most here tote, but I like the stability and range it offers.)

All that adds up to quite a bit of weight, about 66 lbs skin out (clothing worn, pack, chest rig, rifle, food, water), for a four day hunt.

I'm getting to the point of diminishing returns with lighter gear. I could upgrade to a DCF Cimmeron to save a few ounces here, or something lighter as far as a pack than the Kifaru Fulcrum (great bomb proof versatile pack, but hefty at around 7.5 lbs), I've debated picking up a Glock 29 instead of lugging around the 20.

But the OZ vs $$ are getting steep.

I've also realized at age 33 I've started to put on the lbs. I'm 5'9", 190 lbs. Not huge by any stretch, and I'm in halfway decent shape. I can still pass an Army PT test with ease, run an 8 min mile, etc, but I'm no where near where I was 10 years ago. I was 170-175 lbs soaking wet until I hit 30.

I realize I may never be in the shape I once was in my early 20s, but I could spend all the money in the world and never be able to drop 15-20 lbs off my pack weight at this point. However I could realistically do it by just getting back down to a healthier weight. I've been making some poor choices health wise lately, got into the habit of a bit of whiskey every night I wasn't at work to wind down. That's slowly crept into about a fifth a week habit. That's a lot of money on gear/tags if you add it all up, and a lot of calories too. I've cut out alcohol since the new year, started committing to working out at least 3x a week again, and have convinced the wife to quit bringing home junk food from the grocery store.

Well see how long it takes, and if just some basic lifestyle changes is enough to do it, but my goal is 175 lbs. That's a normal healthy weight for me, and that would be 15 less pounds to lug up the mountain. I think that will be the easiest, and cheapest way for me to further lighten the load!

I know I can't be the only one wanting to lose a few lbs this year, and if hunting is the excuse that makes me do it, then so be it!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
You nailed it👍 Gear can only take you so far and you can only trim so much of it and it is easier to acquire than staying in shape as the decades click By. We each set priorities and life is not easy. I don’t cut out anything and live by moderation for most anything but am very religious about weigh ins and workouts knowing it is too difficult to try and get back in shape so I stick to the same plan all year to remain in shape. Good luck you have a good head start for the year👍

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
A long time ago I worked in a high end bicycle shop, I always used to get a laugh out of these middle aged guys that would come in, start shopping for a 6 thousand dollar bike and want us to weigh it, change parts out and weigh it again etc so they could save a few grams/ounces when in fact most of these people could have dropped 30+lbs for free.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Yay - thank you for not making this a "rather than" post. I've seen too many posts where people say "rather than spending so many dollars on cutting gear weight, why not just cut body weight?" One, as if cutting body weight was that quick, why not just do it anyway? Two, as if you had to choose one or the other way to lighten yourself. Why not cut BOTH body weight (which is vastly more important) AND gear weight? They are not mutually exclusive! Good on you.

Last edited:
Definitely not mutually exclusive. I’ll take 3 lbs of fat on my body over 3 lbs in the pack any day. That said, for most active folks losing weight isn’t that complicated.

Cut out sugar and processed carbs as much as you can, don’t drink 1000’s of calories in booze, be active = you probably won’t carry much extra body fat.

TTSX180

Lil-Rokslider
Great job, when your serious about your plans you can accomplish anything. Hit the privey or brush before leaving camp load lightened.

Wrench

WKR
So things are heavy because they're worth it. Can you imagine having monkey butt because you were too spazzed out to carry some wet wipes!?!

The Internet has really done a number on the younger guys. I just ran across some of my old pics and our camp was a Ridge rest and a bag......and I loved it.

My pack weight is 42-47# for 3-5 days. I'm not cut out for 10 days. It takes too many baby wipes.

Make it a point to eat clean, limit carbs and do some research on Intermittent Fasting. You will absolutely shed those pounds. Then start looking into the rifle build threads on here. How far do you want your effective range to be? I know that my Barrett Fieldcraft is absolutely deadly on medium size game to 600 yards, and it is under 7 lbs, loaded and with a Nightforce on top. Pick up an 18" threaded barrel one and throw your silencer on it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Cutting 20lbs off only takes one archery elk season for me, and that's just from eating less and hiking more. That can be done at home year round. I've often wondered what weight I'd end up at if I hunted elk year round. But there's a trade-off there. I prefer to add that muscle weight for September for better performance, but it does come at a cost with added weight. I'll drop to 200 every elk season, that's if I start at 220 and I'm 6'6".

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Cutting 20lbs off only takes one archery elk season for me, and that's just from eating less and hiking more. That can be done at home year round. I've often wondered what weight I'd end up at if I hunted elk year round. But there's a trade-off there. I prefer to add that muscle weight for September for better performance, but it does come at a cost with added weight. I'll drop to 200 every elk season, that's if I start at 220 and I'm 6'6".
Definitely agree. I used to be a fatass at 250, then got down to 190 last year and the year before all throughout hunting season. Obviously there was a huge difference, but did this hunting season around 205 and felt a lot better! At 190 it took a lot longer for me to recover and just felt weaker, 205 for me was a good balance between weight cut and strength. Important to get down but there is a fine line in there, I’m sure it will vary from person to person.

I lose a pound a day back pack sheep hunting. Sometimes even more. Don’t mind starting with a few to lose as long as the legs are ready. Good luck on your exercise program and hunting!

OP
B
Make it a point to eat clean, limit carbs and do some research on Intermittent Fasting. You will absolutely shed those pounds. Then start looking into the rifle build threads on here. How far do you want your effective range to be? I know that my Barrett Fieldcraft is absolutely deadly on medium size game to 600 yards, and it is under 7 lbs, loaded and with a Nightforce on top. Pick up an 18" threaded barrel one and throw your silencer on it.

I really like the fieldcraft, and plan on getting one at some point for a dedicated lightweight mountain rifle.

The rifle I’ve got now is a custom built on a TL3 designed as a precision rifle that is light enough for field use. It fits that role well and is 7.5 lbs bare compared to the 5 lb fieldcraft. 2.5 lbs isn’t insignificant, but it offers some stability and power/range I’m not going to get with the fieldcraft. I had a 6.5 barrel spun on my rifle this year but plan on swapping to a 300 WSM soon. If that 500 yard shot presents itself I’m going to feel a whole lot better about the shot with the TL3.

Bottom line different rifles for different roles, but I like some of what the TL3 offers and I can’t justify ~3k on a fieldcraft+scope at this point.

OP
B
So things are heavy because they're worth it. Can you imagine having monkey butt because you were too spazzed out to carry some wet wipes!?!

The Internet has really done a number on the younger guys. I just ran across some of my old pics and our camp was a Ridge rest and a bag......and I loved it.

My pack weight is 42-47# for 3-5 days. I'm not cut out for 10 days. It takes too many baby wipes.

I definitely agree with this... light is important, but then there is stupid light.

Anymore than one night in freezing temps and I’m going to want a stove, and it might save my trip if things go haywire. My first aid kid weighs half a pound, but that CAT tourniquet might save my life. Sure I could carry a lighter rifle, but when the bull of a lifetime steps out at 500 that extra few pounds of stability, recoil reduction/heavier cartridge goes a long way.

Obviously there is a balance here, and it might be different for different people. For me I’ve realized I’m not really willing to sacrifice that much more gear wise, so it’s time to start looking at myself instead.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
I just have to say again - forget being lighter to hike or hunt - cut the body weight to LIVE better.

My doctor told me ten years ago "for 95% of us, if you are overweight, that IS your #1 health issue." Even if you have a disease, cancer, diabetes, asthma, an injury, etc., if your body is battling being overweight, it is less able to battle anything else and keep itself healthy.

Not meaning to lecture - this was a scolding I needed ten years ago, and still have to remind myself now. I used to be obese, now I'm just overweight and still on the way down thanks to his wake-up. It's a longer story than anybody wants to read in this topic.

Cutting gear weight is an enthusiast endeavor and for me an expensive fascination - cutting body weight is life.

Im the same height as the OP. Three years ago I weighed 212 pounds. I set my mind to lose weight and got down to 160. I felt weak and could only carry my 50 pound pack about two miles without taking a long break. Now Im at 175 and feel much healthier, more strength and energy.

I'm 5-9 or 5-10. Not too positive. I fluctuate a good bit through the year. Sometimes get to the upper 180's. Most of the winter I'm low 80's, by mid summer I'm mid 70's if not lower. I normally try to make sure I'm in the mid 60's before hunting. I think it makes a big difference. One year I didn't take it seriously and I could feel it.

For me it's not too difficult, just portion control. I start eating a little less beginning of summer, normally this isn't difficult as hot and full stomach doesn't always feel the best. I'm mid 30's now and at about 30 had to look at alcohol intake. That's where it's easy to put the pounds on, and you start to wonder if it's habit or not. Nothing wrong with alcohol in small amounts, just keep in moderation.

as.ks.ak

WKR
By just cutting a little weight?

I've worked hard over the last two years and spent more money than I care to admint to get to get my pack weight down. I'm at 38 lbs base pack weight set for a multi day trip with stove and tipi tent. 25 lb base pack weight for a day hunt, always prepped for quick overnight under a tarp/bivy. Gear for temps down to 0 deg F. That's along with my chest rig (6.5 lbs) with Vortex Fury binos, Glock 20 (grizz country), and some misc items like a windchecker, fire starter, tags, etc. My rifle is sitting at 10 lbs with scope, plus suppressor. (I realize my rifle is HEAVY compared to what most here tote, but I like the stability and range it offers.)

All that adds up to quite a bit of weight, about 66 lbs skin out (clothing worn, pack, chest rig, rifle, food, water), for a four day hunt.

I'm getting to the point of diminishing returns with lighter gear. I could upgrade to a DCF Cimmeron to save a few ounces here, or something lighter as far as a pack than the Kifaru Fulcrum (great bomb proof versatile pack, but hefty at around 7.5 lbs), I've debated picking up a Glock 29 instead of lugging around the 20.

But the OZ vs $$ are getting steep.

I've also realized at age 33 I've started to put on the lbs. I'm 5'9", 190 lbs. Not huge by any stretch, and I'm in halfway decent shape. I can still pass an Army PT test with ease, run an 8 min mile, etc, but I'm no where near where I was 10 years ago. I was 170-175 lbs soaking wet until I hit 30.

I realize I may never be in the shape I once was in my early 20s, but I could spend all the money in the world and never be able to drop 15-20 lbs off my pack weight at this point. However I could realistically do it by just getting back down to a healthier weight. I've been making some poor choices health wise lately, got into the habit of a bit of whiskey every night I wasn't at work to wind down. That's slowly crept into about a fifth a week habit. That's a lot of money on gear/tags if you add it all up, and a lot of calories too. I've cut out alcohol since the new year, started committing to working out at least 3x a week again, and have convinced the wife to quit bringing home junk food from the grocery store.

Well see how long it takes, and if just some basic lifestyle changes is enough to do it, but my goal is 175 lbs. That's a normal healthy weight for me, and that would be 15 less pounds to lug up the mountain. I think that will be the easiest, and cheapest way for me to further lighten the load!

I know I can't be the only one wanting to lose a few lbs this year, and if hunting is the excuse that makes me do it, then so be it!

I’m with you!! I have been on a similar path. I’ve let booze become a far to regular part of my life. Nothing crazy, I just need to make a change. So I’ve decided that 2020 was going to be a year of big changes for me. I’ve kicked alcohol altogether, started eating wiser, and besides working out daily again. I’m also doing 1 mile a day. No matter how it’s done; walk, jog, sprint, hike, ruck. As long as I get a mile in each day, that’s all that matters. And that’s not to say walking at work counts, or Rec sports....it’s got to be a dedicated mile, a time I set aside each day for me to clear my mind and get a bit of work in.

It’s been 4 degrees with a 30-50mph wind here the past week, so that’s been a bit of a challenge. But still getting ‘er done with the -31 wind chill. Here’s to making the mountains our b!tch in 2020!

I don’t know how much weight I have to lose, prolly around 20 lbs to be back in fighting weight again...I started the year at 6’ & 210lbs.

We’ll see how I end it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the cheapest weight to cut. In preparing for my sheep hunt last year I went keto over the winter to drop 20 lbs. No point in carrying that weight up the hill.

During the summer when training was more intense I went back to a standard diet. Carbs are the quickest acting fuel and I wanted to utilize them to prevent bonking.

The lost weight felt good and in the end I kill a ram on my DIY hunt.

Last edited:

renagde

WKR
Yup did this last year for my hunt. I read every gear list forum, and purchased my gear very carefully to select the lightest option that I could afford. I was sitting at 170 lbs and I thought I was in pretty good shape. Came to the realization that I could probably lose some weight. Went on the keto diet for 8 month, lost 20lbs and honestly felt the best I have ever felt going into my hunt. I can't believe I was sitting at 170 lbs and thought I was in good shape lol.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member

That's funny shit right there.....so to speak.

Randy