Anybody use Onstar Wi-Fi to get cell service

Cowbell

WKR
We have a camp on the devils river in south Texas that has no Verizon service whatsoever. I would like to be able to stay in contact with family and work from there more often. AT&T gets service but I'm not going to switch providers. My truck has seems to have good Onstar reception and Wi-Fi only plans are $20/month with no contracts. Anybody using this currently?

rvalleyp

FNG
I use it on occasion, it's not perfect but it works. One problem I have is a few seconds after my call connects there is a dead period for about 30 seconds, if the other person doesn't hang up it comes back. You will have to enable wifi calling on your phone and agree to some kind of term that emergency services can't locate your phone in an emergency.

I would not rely on Onstar/car WiFi. If AT&T gets service that’s your best option. If it’s questionable then an Iridium Go but their plans are $$$$ and you still have spotty/delayed reception.

On the Devils and close to the border, I want the best reliability I can get.

T-Mobile also works out there but I think it's the same signal type as AT&T...what about a cheap burner phone (pre paid)?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
WeBoost cell phone boosters. Great little devices. Won't help you if the area doesn't have ANY coverage at all. But if coverage is weak, it will most certainly boost it from very poor to good coverage. They work with any cell service and are not service specific.

I would not rely on Onstar/car WiFi. If AT&T gets service that’s your best option. If it’s questionable then an Iridium Go but their plans are $$$$ and you still have spotty/delayed reception.

On the Devils and close to the border, I want the best reliability I can get.
X50

Better off getting a data spot from AT&T then trying to rely on an on star data connection.

With that said your best bet is probably a repeater from weboost

OP
C

Cowbell

WKR
X50

Better off getting a data spot from AT&T then trying to rely on an on star data connection.

With that said your best bet is probably a repeater from weboost
This is my plan b for sure