Anybody ever regretted using Iodine tablets for water purification?

180ls1

WKR
Yes, it gave my Dad enough problems over the course of a few days we had to alter a hunt. We filter now and just keep a couple tabs for backup.

ODB

WKR
I've always just used some type of actual filter but this time I am trying to ditch the weight and bulk of a filter and I am considering just bringing some iodine tablets. There is plenty of running water in the area so physically filtering debris out isn't a huge concern. The ones I was looking at says they are effective in neutralizing bacteria and giardia but they aren't effective in neutralizing cryptosporidium. Realistically, I'm not sure how much of an issue that is. It comes as a set of 2 small bottles, one with iodine tablets to purify, and the other containing tablets to neutralize the taste, color, and odor of the iodine.

0.2 oz sounds nice.

Anybody with experience using them as a primary purification strategy?

No, but i carry these.

I have never had trouble with chlorine tablets and keep them as a backup. Waiting hours for the water to be drinkable is lame though.

Steripen might be an option for you?

CJ19

WKR
I've always just used some type of actual filter but this time I am trying to ditch the weight and bulk of a filter and I am considering just bringing some iodine tablets. There is plenty of running water in the area so physically filtering debris out isn't a huge concern. The ones I was looking at says they are effective in neutralizing bacteria and giardia but they aren't effective in neutralizing cryptosporidium. Realistically, I'm not sure how much of an issue that is. It comes as a set of 2 small bottles, one with iodine tablets to purify, and the other containing tablets to neutralize the taste, color, and odor of the iodine.

0.2 oz sounds nice.

I have used the dual action pills. Work fine. So long as you wait an appropriate amount of time the treatment is effective if your dosage is correct. Avoiding chunks is good. If you dose it well and wait, you can treat some bad looking water if need be.

All water treatment options come with risk of failure. Filters can fail or leaks can allow raw water in. Not allowing chemical treatment such as pills to adequately mix and do their thing for a few hours etc. Dual treatment such as filtering followed by disinfection provides an additional safety layer.

A couple years ago i saw everyone running around with those little uv pens. Thats great if your water is clear but any chunks or turbidity and you will have a serious problem. I would personally not even use those little uv do dads without disinfection pills too.

Watch that video. Need to deal with crypto some other way if you use iodine.

Last edited:

Jon Boy

WKR
I used aquamira for a long time when filters were expensive and I was poor. I still carry it and use it from time to time to this day. Highly recommend. You do have to wait for a while

Wrench

WKR
Ive filtered out of places you wouldn't consider drinking. I have used aqua mira drops quite a lot too. I like the drops because it tastes good if anything. I have never waited 4 hours....but I rarely hit water that cold.

0.2 oz sounds nice.

I switched from the filter a long time ago. I used to use iodine but have switched over to aquatabs. for smaller bottles I cut the pill into quarters and distribute. I have never got sick from camping.

I can't stand the taste of iodine. The neutralizing tabs don't fully eliminate the flavor.

I use the steripen, but I'm fortunate that I don't have trouble finding clear water. I also carry a filter when I know I'll need to treat more than just a few bottles for drinking.

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
For the past few years I’ve been using a steripen, but this year I started mixing in using aquamira instead on certain hunts. Not sure I’m ready to quit using the steripen all together, but going forward I see myself using aquamira more often than not on anything where I’m backpacking in for more than a weekend.

Marble

WKR
I've been using my steripen for years. It works great. Super easy. Just have the proper lid on your Nalgene.

I need my water to taste good so I drink enough during the day. So I'm not a fan of iodine.

But to answer the original question. Yes I have used iodine tabs and never will again. It's disgusting.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
The taste is enough to turn me away from iodine--anyone who plans to use iodine should test it out and see what they think about the taste--I strongly prefer the Aquamira drops.

I switched from iodine to liquid Aquamira (chlorine dioxide) years ago, and I won’t ever go back. Even with the neutralizer tablets, I dislike the taste of iodine-treated water. Chlorine dioxide has no flavor.

FWIW I also run my water through a filter first (usually an MSR Trailshot) before I chemically sterilize it.

WoodBow

WKR
I exclusively use tablets. I don't even bother with the neutralizing tablets. The taste/color does not bother me.

I would only consider a filter if we did not have clear water where we hunt.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
i used to use iodine but the taste made me switch to chlorine dioxide.
i have filtered quite a lot in the past. clogging filters are a pain.

i carry a nalgene clean canteen and make up water when i set up camp and it can sit all night.
1728564236373.png