Anybody ever regretted using Iodine tablets for water purification?

180ls1

WKR
Yes, it gave my Dad enough problems over the course of a few days we had to alter a hunt. We filter now and just keep a couple tabs for backup.

ODB

WKR
I've always just used some type of actual filter but this time I am trying to ditch the weight and bulk of a filter and I am considering just bringing some iodine tablets. There is plenty of running water in the area so physically filtering debris out isn't a huge concern. The ones I was looking at says they are effective in neutralizing bacteria and giardia but they aren't effective in neutralizing cryptosporidium. Realistically, I'm not sure how much of an issue that is. It comes as a set of 2 small bottles, one with iodine tablets to purify, and the other containing tablets to neutralize the taste, color, and odor of the iodine.

0.2 oz sounds nice.

Anybody with experience using them as a primary purification strategy?

No, but i carry these.

I have never had trouble with chlorine tablets and keep them as a backup. Waiting hours for the water to be drinkable is lame though.

Steripen might be an option for you?

CJ19

WKR
I've always just used some type of actual filter but this time I am trying to ditch the weight and bulk of a filter and I am considering just bringing some iodine tablets. There is plenty of running water in the area so physically filtering debris out isn't a huge concern. The ones I was looking at says they are effective in neutralizing bacteria and giardia but they aren't effective in neutralizing cryptosporidium. Realistically, I'm not sure how much of an issue that is. It comes as a set of 2 small bottles, one with iodine tablets to purify, and the other containing tablets to neutralize the taste, color, and odor of the iodine.

0.2 oz sounds nice.

I have used the dual action pills. Work fine. So long as you wait an appropriate amount of time the treatment is effective if your dosage is correct. Avoiding chunks is good. If you dose it well and wait, you can treat some bad looking water if need be.

All water treatment options come with risk of failure. Filters can fail or leaks can allow raw water in. Not allowing chemical treatment such as pills to adequately mix and do their thing for a few hours etc. Dual treatment such as filtering followed by disinfection provides an additional safety layer.

A couple years ago i saw everyone running around with those little uv pens. Thats great if your water is clear but any chunks or turbidity and you will have a serious problem. I would personally not even use those little uv do dads without disinfection pills too.

Watch that video. Need to deal with crypto some other way if you use iodine.

Last edited:

Jon Boy

WKR
I used aquamira for a long time when filters were expensive and I was poor. I still carry it and use it from time to time to this day. Highly recommend. You do have to wait for a while

Wrench

WKR
Ive filtered out of places you wouldn't consider drinking. I have used aqua mira drops quite a lot too. I like the drops because it tastes good if anything. I have never waited 4 hours....but I rarely hit water that cold.

0.2 oz sounds nice.

I switched from the filter a long time ago. I used to use iodine but have switched over to aquatabs. for smaller bottles I cut the pill into quarters and distribute. I have never got sick from camping.