Anybody carry a fixed blade knife on their belt while hunting?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Better to have and not need, than need and not have.
What if the knife is in your pack, you set your pack down, and travel a distance from your pack, and then need your knife?
Many time I may not even be carrying a pack.

That’s a good way to end up with a 40lb day pack. So many things fall into the “better to have” category. It’s just not practical when climbing mountains days after day. If I don’t use something for a season it comes out of my pack, the only thing that I carry but don’t often use is a first aid kit.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
What if the knife is in your pack, you set your pack down, and travel a distance from your pack, and then need your knife?
Swap it to your belt from your pack bud. Takes 10 seconds max. I do it all the time.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
That’s a good way to end up with a 40lb day pack. So many things fall into the “better to have” category. It’s just not practical when climbing mountains days after day. If I don’t use something for a season it comes out of my pack, the only thing that I carry but don’t often use is a first aid kit.
That’s true with a lot of gear but an extra knife is never a bad thing in my experience. If you can’t carry an extra few ounces on your hip there’s something wrong with your legs.

Ucsdryder

WKR
That’s true with a lot of gear but an extra knife is never a bad thing in my experience. If you can’t carry an extra few ounces on your hip there’s something wrong with your legs.
I can confidently say I can’t remember the last time I needed a knife so bad I couldn’t get it from my pack. It’s just one more thing getting caught on brush, getting lost, getting in the way when taking my pack on and off, etc. Not to mention I hunt with a pack, so it wouldn’t even work without some heavy modifications. Do you have your Glock strapped to your thigh too? Just in case? It’s only a few extra ounces.

It probably boils down to how guys hunt. If I was cruising around in a Jeep all day I’d probably have a pig sticker attached to my belt, but 97% of my hunting requires climbing away from a road.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I can confidently say I can’t remember the last time I needed a knife so bad I couldn’t get it from my pack. It’s just one more thing getting caught on brush, getting lost, getting in the way when taking my pack on and off, etc. Not to mention I hunt with a pack, so it wouldn’t even work without some heavy modifications. Do you have your Glock strapped to your thigh too? Just in case? It’s only a few extra ounces.
Depends on the hunt, normally no pistol thoughts My Glock weighs 40 ounces loaded. My knife and sheath weighs 3.5 ounces combined. Sweet apples and oranges there guy. Haha.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Depends on the hunt, normally no pistol thoughts My Glock weighs 40 ounces loaded. My knife and sheath weighs 3.5 ounces combined. Sweet apples and oranges there guy. Haha.
Agreed. Edited my original post. I assume most guys are backpacking on rokslide but know that’s not always the case.

bozeman

WKR
I carry a fixed blade in a sheath, in a medium belt pouch with my pack on, then it’s on my belt when I’m in camp and no pack on. As handy as a shirt pocket.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Agreed. Edited my original post. I assume most guys are backpacking on rokslide but know that’s not always the case.
Again. It takes less than 10 seconds to move it from the pack belt to pants belt if you drop your pack. I thought I was the one who couldn’t read.

We get it. You’re way too crafty and ninja like climbing around woods and mountains to carry a knife. Maybe the next thread is better for you since this is a knife carry thread.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
So anyway, for those who don’t mind being “hindered” by a whopping 4 ounces on their hip…

I used the new Hogue Extrak fixed blade last season after carrying fixed skinner knives for decades. The plastic sheath comes with a decent clip that works with regular belts and packs with standard webbing.

Overall it’s a great knife but I’ll probably go back to carrying my old school Ghroman Original skinner. I’m so used to using that knife that everything else feels slow and somewhat awkward.

I’d recommend that knife to anyone, it’s a great blade shape and excellent handle for skinning and breaking down animals. Their carbon steel holds a great edge and sharpens up easier than other carbon steel.

I also carry a Tyto in my bino harness or kill kit with a few blades.

For anyone else who isn’t hopping all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree… What do you carry?

Last edited:

Antares

WKR
I keep a vicky under my bino harness; it’s only 2 oz. My “real” knife stays in my kill kit until it’s business time.

IMG_3010.jpeg
IMG_3011.jpeg

I carry a couple of fixed blades in my pack every time I hunt. In almost 40 years of hunting, I have never needed a knife so quickly that I wished it was on my belt.

No I locket carry a folder.

Last year I pocket carried my mini speed goat but may do the folder again this yesr.

Use to carry just ammo pouch with a buck folder and a canteen. Many many miles and animals with just that set up
Good ole days

Marshfly

WKR
Again. What am I needed the knife for? Lunch maybe if I bring summer sausage but that lunch is in my pack. Otherwise, cleaning an animal. Then I need the kill kit. Also. In my pack.

I just don’t need knives all the time. I can’t understand how some of you do. I’m honestly curious.

I literally go an entire season only using it for lunch and cleaning animals during the day. Zero other uses away from maybe camp chores. Also, then, I have my pack.