Any wool pant recommendations?

fwafwow

WKR
I feel confident you’ll be happy with em. The more you spend the more you save!
But do I need even the Big Bill pants? I live in GA! But I’m a baby for cold. Yet these are lifetime buys, right? And sort of free returns, so maybe I can get both and try them out. Yaaaaasssss

Does anyone have recommendations for 100% wool winter pants? Filson look great but at $450 a pair.. Ouch. I've also heard the quality has slipped recently. About the only affordable option I've seen are the big bill pants which are 80 wool and 20 nylon. Curious if anyone has tried these. I have one pair of army surplus wool pants which I found at a thrift store that have been great, seems like there should be more options for similar in new but I haven't found them yet
I do not know about a pant, but any base layer made from merino wool is great. I have badlands gear and am very happy with it. Hunted Colorado two weeks ago and was very warm and comfortabl.

Update on the micklagaard pants that are too small. I sent them a email about returning them for an exchange about a week ago. They haven’t responded. I just went to fedex to ship them back and they said it would be $215 to return them.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I’ve been wanting to get a pair of these.

They are made of new and recycled wool, and not made in china which is a big plus.

These are the wool pants.

If I had to pull the trigger now, it would be for the Big Bills. Off to do more research, but this also seems like something that might be more common in some other countries, or that @Formidilosus has come across.

EDIT - also came across this prior thread (https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/non-hunting-brand-clothing-recommendations.228025/) and Micklagaard.

If you want a pair of wool pants that are actually cut and tailored instead of wearing a square bag on each leg, the Varusteleka Sarma TST ones are it.

Midroad

FNG
Does anyone have recommendations for 100% wool winter pants? Filson look great but at $450 a pair.. Ouch. I've also heard the quality has slipped recently. About the only affordable option I've seen are the big bill pants which are 80 wool and 20 nylon. Curious if anyone has tried these. I have one pair of army surplus wool pants which I found at a thrift store that have been great, seems like there should be more options for similar in new but I haven't found them yet
Scheels wool pants are like 50% off today. I just ordered the coat and bibs for $160

Radford

FNG
I have the filson pants and you are correct they are expensive but luckily I didn’t have to purchase them my employer got them for me. I have to work out in the cold. I have purchased some wool pants off of eBay and those turned out to be awesome. I just searched “wool cargo pants “ and picked the ones I liked. I don’t think they even had a brand name as they were an old European military surplus pair.

fwafwow

WKR
Update on the micklagaard pants that are too small. I sent them a email about returning them for an exchange about a week ago. They haven’t responded. I just went to fedex to ship them back and they said it would be $215 to return them.
Let me know if you have any more details. How could it cost so much?

fwafwow

WKR
These are the wool pants.

If you want a pair of wool pants that are actually cut and tailored instead of wearing a square bag on each leg, the Varusteleka Sarma TST ones are it.
I did look at these. Although I can’t remember exactly why I ruled them out, at least for my first pair of heavy wool pants, was that they look like they would be loud. Are they? I may have also been aiming for heavier weight wool, as I think the Big Bills and Micklagaard are about twice the weight.

Who doesn’t like wearing square bags on their legs?!

I think the Micklagaards appear tailored, at least at the ankle. And they probably can be worn for Oktoberfest.

Given my penchant for buying $hit, I could see the Sarmas getting a try down the road.

Let me know if you have any more details. How could it cost so much?
Micklagaard wrote me back and asked me to measure my thigh to determine about what size to choose next. They haven’t mentioned anything about return shipping yet. To be continued.

So it’s safe to say that these are not like wearing a square bag on each leg. I’ve got an athletic build but I’m definitely not bottom heavy.

fwafwow

WKR
Micklagaard wrote me back and asked me to measure my thigh to determine about what size to choose next. They haven’t mentioned anything about return shipping yet. To be continued.

So it’s safe to say that these are not like wearing a square bag on each leg. I’ve got an athletic build but I’m definitely not bottom heavy.
Thanks for the update. Mine haven’t shipped yet.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I did look at these. Although I can’t remember exactly why I ruled them out, at least for my first pair of heavy wool pants, was that they look like they would be loud. Are they?

They are not. Or at least I haven’t noticed at all. The cotton reinforcement areas are not inside the legs where they will rub, and it gets soft with use anyways.

I may have also been aiming for heavier weight wool, as I think the Big Bills and Micklagaard are about twice the weight.

The Micklagaards look decent, the Big Bills are just terribly cut and fit.

fwafwow

WKR

At least they wrote you back. I ordered my Fanciest Fashionable Trousers on 11/24 and no word on shipping.